Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

To tint or not to tint....that is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To tint or not to tint....that is the question.

I have an black '03 and want to have the front two windows tinted to match the rest of the windows. All my other cars have been black with tinted windows. Every time I get a new car it is a debate between my wife and myself, since she doesn't like tinted windows, but I do it anyway, since I am driving said vehicle.

What are your thought on tinted windows? Do any of you guys/gals have the same resistance I have?
Old 03-12-2003, 04:52 AM

Tint resistance

Here in Michigan, our resistance group is a bunch known as The Michigan State Police. I believe 20% tint is the max for front windows here. Many many moons ago I had a Firebird w/ all the windows tinted "limo black". It looked REAL sharp. I had it like that for 2 GLORIOUS days...... thats when one of Michigans finest saw it for the first time. He stood right there with me along side the highway, and watched while I pulled all my tint. Nice bunch of guys, really.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:01 AM
Contributing Member

I know how it goes....I am pretty sure 35% is legal in all states. I am not really going for the darkest I can but more just for reflection of heat. I am in Alabama and it tends to get a little on the warm side during the summer.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:29 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

I say tint them. At least for the UV protection. Shoot you could get 50% for UV protection and the tint is extremely light. I like dark tint myself. All my cars have been tinted, except my last car. I didn't bother. I once got pulled over 5 minutes from leaving the tint shop. I had 5% plus 20% on the back and two layers of 20% on the back side windows and 5% on my drivers windows. Anyway me and my buddy leave and I'm in a hurry because I had to pick my wife up from work. Boom...Nailed by radar. My buddy asked me what was I going to do. I told him I can't roll the window down...I'll just get out. So I get out, and the officer over his PA tells me to get back in my car. So I sit inthe seat with my feet outside and left the door opened. He walked up and looked at the windows which had the little sticker they put on them to show that it's legal tint, and ask me where I was going so fast. Told him I was late picking my wife up from work and didn't want to hear her complain. I guess he sympathized, because he let me go. Anyway...I say TINT it especially if it's black. It will look great! sorry for the long story.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member

I got the official ok from my CFO (the wife). I waited until she left the house and then called her to tell her I was going. I knew she was in a hurry, so she wouldn't have time to argue........heheh.......was that wrong. Anyway, I am walking out the door to get'em done.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hmmm interesting - remind me never to drive in Michigan...lol

I have 5% all the way around and ill take the ticket before I tear 135 bux of tint off - besides the ticket is only a fix-it ticket anyhow. A quick talk with your optomitrist and you can legally run 5% - a prescription for tint.

Incidentally, the cops dont mess with you here if your tint is too dark provided you arent driving like you stole it....

Steve
Old 03-12-2003, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bumpin' Yota
[B]hmmm interesting - remind me never to drive in Michigan...lol
[quote]

Steve,
From the sound of it, you won't be driving in too many other states either.

[quote]
I have 5% all the way around and ill take the ticket before I tear 135 bux of tint off - besides the ticket is only a fix-it ticket anyhow.
[quote]

Hmmmm. I don't know about where you live, but in MA the ticket is 250 bux. Sounds like poor ecconomics to me.

[quote]
A quick talk with your optomitrist and you can legally run 5% - a prescription for tint.
[quote]

That is FALSE. You cannot get a tint waiver unless you have glaucoma and they might give you those horse blinder shades first.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:02 AM

If you're the one that's driving the car, tint them. She can do what she wants with her car(s), you do what you want with your car(s).
Old 03-12-2003, 07:14 AM

I think this is fairly up to date. hope it helps.

http://www.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

their info on Michigan seems to backup 1Runner's info, heh.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's the definitive source on tinting and laws:

http://www.tintdude.com

Bob
Old 03-12-2003, 07:23 AM

Tint away!!! Blacking out the whole truck will look sweet!!!!
Old 03-12-2003, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Bob, I went to that site you posted, but their search page was slower than molasses. Do you hapen to know what our laws are here in our glorious state?
Old 03-12-2003, 07:42 AM

Good luck with the tint. I have limo on all windows. It's VERY dark with the limo over the factory privacy glass on the rear windows.

Old 03-12-2003, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

jacksonpt,
You must not be married. If you are and don't have these kinds of problems, consider yourself lucky. One of my main problems is that I was laid off in June and have started my own company. It was one thing to get the new truck, but to add stuff to it will be a challenge.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:14 AM

I have mine tinted... If your guy says that 15% will match the other windows.. He's full of it. Toyota's is a bit lighter.

I have a perfect color match, but my fronts are darker. You really can't tell from the outside.

Last edited by JGage; 03-12-2003 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

I meant to say,.........they are tinted now!!! Whoohoo!!!
Old 03-12-2003, 06:43 PM

my favorite topic

momo -- what did you end up getting? (%)

I blacked mine out the 2nd day I had the 'Runner, and I agree w/ the folks who basically say "attitude is everything." Unless you're driving like you stole it, you should be cool. (of course, i respect that diff states have a more stringent enforcement of the tint laws)

I got my whole windshield done too -- nevermind that 3" sunstrip up top I know i'll get a lot of ...negative responses... for that one, but i did it. Also had 50% on my A4 Audi with no problems (windshield) so don't knock it too much, until you try it Because the entire cabin is dark, the visibility looking out of 50% on the windshield is not noticeable (I snuck this "mod" past my girlfiend...) It's like that police line-up phenomenon -- you can see out, but other people can't see in.

One practical piece of advice:
If you do happen to get pulled over, turn on the dome light, roll down all the windows and keep your hands on the wheel until the officer comes over to the side of your door. The patrol officers have to worry about crackheads pulling Glocks on them so the last thing they need to deal with is what's lurking behind the 0% windows.

the one thing that is a bummer is that no matter what you do, the front and back windows will never match. the 2002 rears (and all other 3 Gens, I'm assuming) are smoked glass. Tinting over those yeild some very nice limo windows. If you put 5% over the front GREEN GLASS fronts, they never get exactly the same shade of midnight. Only noticeable in the sun, but you can tell that the fronts have a green tinge to them vs. the smoked out rears.

Have fun w/ the new tint
Old 03-12-2003, 06:53 PM

http://www.gilafilms.com/auto/car_tint_laws.html#
here is the tint laws I found. I saw some differences with the link posted before.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Tint, Man...Tint!!! Black with tinted windows is almost required. It would be a sin to leave them clear.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:52 AM

Smile

I say if you like them do it.I have limo tint all around I like it

Quick Reply: To tint or not to tint....that is the question.