Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

"Tide Me Over" Light Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Tide Me Over" Light Mod

Until Christmas gets here and the OT starts this fall, I've had to put the mods on hold and just do a bunch of research. Anyway, I wanted to do something to the interior lighting so I decided to replace both of my dome lights and both map lights with super white bulbs. The domes are T-6 and here are the ones I went with:

http://store.yahoo.com/racinglab/pixtremsupwh.html

Raybrig makes the only aftermarket white bulb that will fit the Toyota map lights and it is this one:

http://store.yahoo.com/racinglab/rayr1platwhi1.html

They look really awesome. Put them in tonight and it is such an improvement over the dingy yellow stock bulbs. I want to install some of these into my footwell lights, but the dome lights that I got from Advance Auto Parts to use as my footwell lights really suck. Anyone know where I might be able to get some domes online? Later.

Matt
Old 09-16-2002, 08:40 PM

I replaced my domes with I think Raybrig. (A pair for 10 bucks.) They are the hyper white and give a bright blue-white glow...huge difference in night lighting. I got some chrome/frosted glass add-on lights for my footwells and rear floor. They use the same corner 194 bulbs...I used the hyper-whites there...looks great.
butnut
Old 09-17-2002, 10:07 AM

I have noticed the interior lights are very dim and I never have them set right. I like the first picture, the light looks very brilliant. What does it remind me of?:alien: Never mind
Old 10-31-2002, 06:36 AM

97 Dome/Map lights?

I saw this old post and was interested in it. I don't have my truck at work today (long story), but wanted to order the dome light and the (2) map lights.

Does anyone know if these bulbs are the same for the 1997 4Runner?

Thanks in advance,
CB
Old 10-31-2002, 07:59 AM

I have one question about the bulbs.
Im assuming that the bulbs are a higher wattage and produce extra heat.Is anyone concerned about melting the plastic in the dome light.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Will these part #'s work on 2nd Gens?
Old 10-31-2002, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

UKMyers,
I'm not sure about that. Go to racinglab.com and under their accessory bulbs page are the measurements of all the bulbs they sell. Pull one of yours and compare it to their specs. You should be able to find something. Hope this helps.

http://store.yahoo.com/racinglab/test.html

Matt
Old 10-31-2002, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

well I suppose if you were worried about melting you wouldn't leave your dome light on for a long period of time, when I have to leave my door open a long time I turn my domelight off unless I need it because it does get rather hot (I have PIAA xtreme bulbs in mine)
Old 10-31-2002, 03:25 PM

exactly sleepy....i changed mine a while back and when i tested to see how hot the new piaa's got, i was shocked..after a minute, i would touch the plastic and it was fairly warm...then i proceeded to take the bulb out like a FOOL....and burned my fingers...then i knew that i shouldn't leave the dome lights on for too long!!! hope some fingers are saved due to my misfortune!!!
Old 10-31-2002, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

it is rather nice though...so much brighter
Old 10-31-2002, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Footwell Lights

I was looking at doing the footwell mod, but haven't been able to find any light housings I liked. Then I came across the "universal side marker lights" from Pep Boys. These have clear lenses with an amber bulb in it. I couldn't tell, but it looked like a 194 bulb which means that you could use the PIAA Super Whites.

UK - If you dig into the dome/map spec., let us 2nd genners know what to use. FYI - PIAA Super White bulbs # 168 fit the front corners. Apparently 168=194. Go figure.

Last edited by Cebby; 10-31-2002 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

Same dome light for 2nd and 3rd Gen's

Cebby and Matt this post disappeared but I dug it back up to check the lights. I just went and pulled my dome light and the number on the side matches a part # listed with this bulb. Another mod on the way!
Old 11-09-2002, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

UKMeyers,
Thats the same one I used. I like it.

Matt
Old 11-09-2002, 10:46 PM

Re: Footwell Lights

Originally posted by Cebby
I was looking at doing the footwell mod, but haven't been able to find any light housings I liked. Then I came across the "universal side marker lights" from Pep Boys. These have clear lenses with an amber bulb in it. I couldn't tell, but it looked like a 194 bulb which means that you could use the PIAA Super Whites.

UK - If you dig into the dome/map spec., let us 2nd genners know what to use. FYI - PIAA Super White bulbs # 168 fit the front corners. Apparently 168=194. Go figure.
Hey Cebby. I think that's what mine was too. Found it in the section with all those cheap running lights side markers for trailers and stuff. Mine has the chrome and frosted glass (think I posted this pic on another thread.) It has the 194 bulb ( I replaced with a hyper-white so that's the blue-white glow you see.) I burned my fingers on that damn dome bulb too :pat: ...with the dome, 2 front footwells and 1 under the rear cupholder, my interior lights up nicely.

butnut
Old 11-10-2002, 06:34 AM

APC Sidemarkers

I picked up mine yesterday from Pep Boys. They are made by APC for attaching to front fenders. They only require a round hole about 1/2" to clear the bulb assembly, then it mounts nice and flush. I didn't get mine in yet, but I did switch the bulbs. I haven't decided exactly where to but them yet.

You'll have to excuse me, I have a 2nd Gen. What is a "rear cupholder"? Is that one of those things you slip between the glass and the weatherstripping on the door?

BTW, the license plate lighting for 2nd Gen uses 168 bulbs and can also be changed to Super Whites.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:46 AM

Hey Cebby. My light assembly sits flush...no hole to drill, only need a tiny hole for the wire, and 2 screw holes...the bulb/holder sits sideways so it's real compact. No cheesy door hanger cup holders... the rear cup holders are hideaway/dropdown built into the back of the console. I put one of the light fixtures on the lower part of the console. It's visible, but looks fine there.
butnut
Old 11-10-2002, 06:23 PM

Cupholders

I have cupholder envy!! Do you think I can retrofit a 3rd gen console into my 2nd Gen? When I'm hauling the kids, we use the cheesy door hanger cupholders - cause they're cool!!!! Yeah right - I hate them, but actually, they work better than the ones down low in a console for short little arms I couldn't get a good look at your footwell install. Do you have a pic of it with the light off and a flash on the camera? I'm not convinced the sidemarker light I got is my best solution.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:16 PM

The pic is sideways, but ya get the jist...I had to show off my cupholder. how about that ashtray too...my kids can smoke and drink back there. although I would have preferred to hide the light, it looks decent enough, and why do kids always drop stuff back there?
butnut
Old 11-12-2002, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the pic

Thanks for the pic, butnut. Those look pretty good and I'll bet there isn't alot of glare since they have a shroud. I'll post a pic of mine when I get them in.

NICE CUPHOLDER!!!:mad:

Hey, even I have an ashtray back there - (wonder if I can convert that to a cupholder?)
Old 11-12-2002, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That pretty cool Mr. Butnut. It gives it a more rugged look.

I have to say, the footwells are really cool:

Quick Reply: "Tide Me Over" Light Mod