Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

thoughts on efi setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thoughts on efi setup

here's what i got so far and i was just posting this to see if i missed anything. I have a 85 4 runner swicthing to OEM efi. So far i got all the 87 engine stuff bolted on to the new 87 toyota engine i got. Now i figure i got to change out the sending unit and add a new intank filter. then remove the carb fuel line,install the efi line to the fuel pump. I got new spark plugs and oil,fuel filter. I figure i'll take all the 87 wiring and install the computer. I'll have to fabricate a new exhaust. thank god the o2 sensor is on the manifold. that'll make it easy. the 87 got the tilt gauge so i'll have to incorparate that. i know that's not efi related but oh well. i'm sure i'm forgetting some stuff but oh well Just trying to get the major points.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:30 AM

You will probably find the answers to most of your questions using the search feature on this site. It will take some time searching and reading, I have found most answers I need w/o even posting, there is a wealth of knowledge on the site. Also, I think you need to swap fuel tanks, as the efi pump is in the tank, not the passenger side of the head as on the carb motor. There is a block off plate and gasket to cover the hole after removing the pump. Also make sure to get the knock sensor installed in the block, there is a threaded hole for it under the intake manifold, behind the oil filter, in front of the fuel filter. Hopefully you've noticed the fuel filter is also mounted to the block under the intake as well. If the 87 engine is out of an efi vehicle, that sensor and filter are already there.

Last edited by yotafreakshow; 09-11-2004 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by yotafreakshow
You will probably find the answers to most of your questions using the search feature on this site. It will take some time searching and reading, I have found most answers I need w/o even posting, there is a wealth of knowledge on the site. Also, I think you need to swap fuel tanks, as the efi pump is in the tank, not the passenger side of the head as on the carb motor. There is a block off plate and gasket to cover the hole after removing the pump. Also make sure to get the knock sensor installed in the block, there is a threaded hole for it under the intake manifold, behind the oil filter, in front of the fuel filter. Hopefully you've noticed the fuel filter is also mounted to the block under the intake as well. If the 87 engine is out of an efi vehicle, that sensor and filter are already there.
yeah i tried to use the tech writeup section but none of links would work. I hope the sending unit will drop in to the tank there because i noticed there's a acess panel on the 87 so i'm hoping it's on the 85 also. I installed the efi filter yesterday. I apperciate the advice though.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:39 PM

oh u click on the picture not the writing my bad
Old 09-11-2004, 06:04 PM

well i got the igniter installed on the 85. plus i got my harmonic balancer installed. and removed some of the carb smog stuff. not bad for like 2hrs. of work. plus i got the oil filter union installed plus the oil filter. tomorrow i start the interior to install the 87 efi wiring harness into the 85. hopefully i get the 85 all wiried up underneath the dash tomorrow.