Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Texas_Ace's Cheap DIY Meth/Water Injection kit Writeup! Get 10hp+ for under $150!

Old 08-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 5runner
i read a lot but not all i did not see anything about if you have to tune ur ecu after doing it i know it can only be good but how is every one doing it with a biggy back or are they bringing it to some one??
It depends on what you are doing. In my case with a supercharger and pure methanol I did not need to tune anything, Just let the stock ECU do it's thing and relearn as it went. Worked great.

If working with an NA setup you will not see near the gains, you would use it in this setup mostly for the cleaning effects and ~6-8hp gains at WOT from my testing. Nice but not really worth it compared to using it with a supercharger.

MPG gains in an NA setup will not be much since it only injects at WOT. In a supercharged setup you can get some gains in MPG but that will be evened out by the methanol you use so I would not really consider the MPG gains as a buying point.

It is a performance/reliability mod that is WELL worth the money when supercharged and something to brag about when NA.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:32 AM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Well I figure I will ask you a question about intake temp while I'm here reading, I am currently getting together info on rebuild and turbo on my 22 re, getting lots of mixed info on using an intercooler and not using one. Your ride looks quick to say the least without one, what was your deciding factor on not using one?? Kinda hijacking but not really I guess any thoughts and will this system work on say a turbo set up?? And also have you ever thought of getting a intake temp gauge to monitor what the meth injection is doing in there. I watched your YouTube on the system and I'm a little confused on the system. It physically sprays water/meth into the intake right or no??
Old 08-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
Well I figure I will ask you a question about intake temp while I'm here reading, I am currently getting together info on rebuild and turbo on my 22 re, getting lots of mixed info on using an intercooler and not using one. Your ride looks quick to say the least without one, what was your deciding factor on not using one?? Kinda hijacking but not really I guess any thoughts and will this system work on say a turbo set up?? And also have you ever thought of getting a intake temp gauge to monitor what the meth injection is doing in there. I watched your YouTube on the system and I'm a little confused on the system. It physically sprays water/meth into the intake right or no??
An intercooler is always the better option for a street car. You can get away without one though in some cases.

In the case of the TRD supercharger there is no way to add an intercooler or I would have. The IAT's coming out of the supercharger can be well over 300 degrees without meth injection.

Yes, meth injection will work fine with a turbo setup as well. If you use an intercooler you want the meth injection nozzle to be at the intercooler exit.

The youtube vids should explain it pretty well, yes methanol sprays through the nozzle, in the video I think the nozzle was still in the intake hose, I later moved it to the EGR port.

In a 22re turbo setup I doubt you will be running much boost so you could get away without an intercooler and using meth injection. If you planned on making some real power then an intercooler would be a wise move. Meth injection will always improve performance on pump gas.

Check out customtacos for more info on turbo setups, they do a lot more of that over there.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:04 AM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Cool right on, and yes I'm not going for a massive power increase as I know my reliability will go out the door I have heard if I keep it under or at 6 pounds of boost I will not need an intercooler but I have heard a lot of things from a lot of different forums. Anyway looking to keep it under 200hp so I think this should be attainable with no intercooler, but I am still trying to compile info as I go. But either way your set up is wonderful and looks fun as hell.

Last edited by Discombobulated; 08-05-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
Cool right on, and yes I'm not going for a massive power increase as I know my reliability will go out the door I have heard if I keep it under or at 6 pounds of boost I will not need an intercooler but I have heard a lot of things from a lot of different forums. Anyway looking to keep it under 200hp so I think this should be attainable with no intercooler, but I am still trying to compile info as I go. But either way your set up is wonderful and looks fun as hell.
In the case of the 22re, toss a turbo on it along with a quality meth injection kit (I recommend Coolingmist) and you should be fine at low boost.

An intercooler is the best option, it costs a little more but you will get both more and safer power with it.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Contributing Member

TA,

May I know the reason for this? I'm thinking of getting the coolingmist for my truck (1KZ-TE) and would like to have the intercooler cleaned (oil from the PCV) as well.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
....Yes, meth injection will work fine with a turbo setup as well. If you use an intercooler you want the meth injection nozzle to be at the intercooler exit.....
Old 11-24-2012, 11:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hey, I just bought a 55 gal drum of methanol, am I officially a meth junkie? you bet!

methanol is just simply a great way to 'cheat', it offers so many advantages and really no disadvantages. This is why I can't believe more folks don't run it, especially anyone running boost.

was forced to pay nearly $10/gal at local performance shops for methanol and got fed up. Contacted the local raceway (South Sound Speedway) and got 55 gal for $3.87/gal, not too shabby. and enough to last me well over a year. for not too much over 200 bucks for the whole damn thing.

keep up the good thread, and thanks for all your help TA!
Old 11-25-2012, 04:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by KZN185W
TA,

May I know the reason for this? I'm thinking of getting the coolingmist for my truck (1KZ-TE) and would like to have the intercooler cleaned (oil from the PCV) as well.

Thanks!
If you want to clean the IC then disconnect the IC piping and wash it out with a hose and some brake cleaner.

If you put the meth injection before the IC it will basically render the intercooler useless. The intake temps can actually be higher with the meth injection then it was with just the intercooler.

Why this happens is for a host of reasons that gets a little complicated to explain. One of the simpler to understand reasons is that the water will coat the IC walls and this will block heat transfer through the IC as the water tries to cool the outside air. The rest of the reasons get much more complicated.

In a nut shell, don't do it. There is nothing to be gained at all and much to be lost.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by aa1911
hey, I just bought a 55 gal drum of methanol, am I officially a meth junkie? you bet!

methanol is just simply a great way to 'cheat', it offers so many advantages and really no disadvantages. This is why I can't believe more folks don't run it, especially anyone running boost.

was forced to pay nearly $10/gal at local performance shops for methanol and got fed up. Contacted the local raceway (South Sound Speedway) and got 55 gal for $3.87/gal, not too shabby. and enough to last me well over a year. for not too much over 200 bucks for the whole damn thing.

keep up the good thread, and thanks for all your help TA!
Yep, buying in bulk is the way to go for sure. Around here it runs around $3/gal. When injecting a lot of it you end up improving your MPG so the cost of the methanol is about paid for except you get a lot more performance.

I know my truck LOVED it, night and day difference between the 7th injector and meth injection.

Even while NA it still gives a boost in performance although obviously not as much. Doing it mostly to keep things clean in there and because it was already installed. It is nice to feel the intake manifold after driving for awhile and see it is actually cool to the touch.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

If I were to run a CoolingMist pure water-only injection (using boost pressure as basis for injection), how far would a 1-gallon tank go?

Thanks again!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

If I were to run a CoolingMist pure water-only injection (using boost pressure as basis for injection), how far would a 1-gallon tank go?

Thanks again!
As far as 1 gallon of washer fluid would lol. I would honestly just use the stock washer fluid tank. By far the easiest option and works great. Plus using washer fluid is the better option anyways.

How long it lasts totally depends on how you drive the truck and what size nozzle you have.

On my truck it could last 1/2 a tank of gas when tuning to an average of 1 tank of gas when I drove it. Or a few tanks of gas when I loaned it to my dad. All about how you drive.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

is there a specific type of washer fluid that i can use? so far, what i've seen in our dealers and stores here in my country are only the pink-colored ones. any chemical content that I need to look for in the washer fluid that I need to use?

How do I determine the nozzle size? Is there a minimum, maximum, and optimum size? It's a DD and I don't race. A few times, I like to go speeding and accelerate.

On the coolingmist website, there are two progressive kits, the VC2 Diesel (Build a Kit), and the CMGS Stage 2 Progressive. Which one is better for my needs?

There's also the All-in-One Pro Tank (2-gal). Do I need it in case I can't make use of the washer tank? Is it worth it or can I make use of an ordinary tank?

Again, thank you.

Last edited by KZN185W; 11-25-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:06 AM
Contributing Member

is there a specific type of washer fluid that i can use? so far, what i've seen in our dealers and stores here in my country are only the pink-colored ones. any chemical content that I need to look for in the washer fluid that I need to use?

How do I determine the nozzle size? Is there a minimum, maximum, and optimum size? It's a DD and I don't race. A few times, I like to go speeding and accelerate.

On the coolingmist website, there are two progressive kits, the VC2 Diesel (Build a Kit), and the CMGS Stage 2 Progressive. Which one is better for my needs?

There's also the All-in-One Pro Tank (2-gal). Do I need it in case I can't make use of the washer tank? Is it worth it or can I make use of an ordinary tank?

Again, thank you.
You can use any washer fluid you want although ideally you want the coldest rated blue fluid you can find. Walmart should have it if no where else. I have ran Rain-X Orange fluid before though with no ill effects besides coloring the inside of my intake orange.

Nozzle sizing is a bit of a black art, really just comes down to trial and error. If you tell me your mods I can give you a good starting point. I have ran everything from a .75gph nozzle to 20gph nozzle on my truck.

For a supercharged truck running washer fluid a good middle ground is ~7gph. If running pure methanol and you retune for it then the larger the nozzle the better.

This is the best deal for nozzles and tanks around bar none. These are devils own products just sold under a different name.

http://www.greatplainsupply.com/en/14-nozzles

I personally run this kit: https://www.coolingmist.com/pagedisp...ehicles,diesel

This kit is the same except it has the failsafe as well which is real nice if you plan to run pure methanol and retune the truck to take full advantage of the methanol. It was not out when I bought mine.

https://www.coolingmist.com/pagedisp...controllerkits,

I would just use the factory washer fluid tank but if you want to use another tank more power to you. I would not spend extra money on a separate tank for sure.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

TA, Thank you very much for the help! Highly appreciate it!!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thread Revival!

Ok - I finally picked up a supercharger. I've wanted one for years and it was just time.

I'm at about 4300 ft elevation so after letting the computer work on it for a while I think I will do some fuel mods. I occasionally do some towing at higher elevations (1200lb tent trailer) and I'm getting some obvious ping when the AC is on with any load at all. I suspect some definite heat soak and I don't want to damage my engine. I LOVE the idea of methanol injection since it has all of the great advantages, but I also wonder if the 7th injector is going to give me better and more consistent power. If I need to, I'll do both, but since we're all on a budget, I'll look at the most cost-effective solution first.

What do you think I should do - start with a 7th injector and piggyback controller, or just start squirting methanol in and use my ears and butt dyno?

If neither of those things are the best alternative, what would you suggest would be a good starting point? I just want the truck to be quick, have good power throughout the range up to 4500rpm's, and be able to tow a light trailer to the high Uintas without melting my block. (I'd also like to be quicker than my wife's Volvo s60, but that's asking a lot from my old truck )
Old 05-29-2013, 04:05 PM

Alright - I thought I had this thread memorized but apparently I'm just asking the same questions again. Sorry about that everybody.

What it looks like is a viable option for me is to put a meth kit and an AFR gauge in and tune it via a progressive controller to the desired ratios. Am I understanding that right?

One question that remains is - will the improved timing, tuned AFR's, and meth burn on the meth kit give me similar hp gains to the 7th injector? In a side-by-side comparison (theoretical, of course), which is going to give the best HP gains and longevity? I'm pretty much leaning toward the meth injection because even if I get a 7th injector, I figure I'll want meth on top of it anyway for heat control, so if I can kill all the birds at once with meth I'll just do that from the beginning. Is that sound reasoning?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:42 PM

- I have a 5gph nozzle picked out, which on a 50/50 mix or washer fluid should be about right, you can also adjust the pump pressure to adjust the flow rate as well: http://www.mcmaster.com/#3178K75

- Fitting to attach to the nozzle: http://www.mcmaster.com/#51495k262/=99z5yh
Damn TA, I bought these two items as you recommended and they're not compatible. I should have paid closer attention, but since I was at work I just rushed and bought the listed items. The bottom piece of the nozzle is too long for the fitting, so it only can catch the first thread (barely) and then that's it. I can't tighten because the filter section is in the way.

Oh well, I'll figure something out.

Name:  null_zpsc4db9abf.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  444.4 KB

Last edited by Robb235; 06-24-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Very odd, those part numbers supposedly worked together.

As a fix you can simply take the filter off, a lot of nozzles don't have one at all anyways.

Personally I have never used these as I always spent the extra for quality meth injection nozzles so this was one item I didn't have personal experience with. Figured this would be the one fool proof item that would not matter with lol.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:53 PM

Very odd, those part numbers supposedly worked together.

As a fix you can simply take the filter off, a lot of nozzles don't have one at all anyways.

Personally I have never used these as I always spent the extra for quality meth injection nozzles so this was one item I didn't have personal experience with. Figured this would be the one fool proof item that would not matter with lol.
I can rip the screen off, but it's the brass that extends too far down.

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech
Old 06-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Robb235
I can rip the screen off, but it's the brass that extends too far down.

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech
The filter should unscrew from the nozzle with a small wrench. All else fails you can just cut that brass part off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Texas_Ace's Cheap DIY Meth/Water Injection kit Writeup! Get 10hp+ for under $150!