Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Test fitting JDM field monitor on a '97 SR5

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test fitting JDM field monitor on a '97 SR5

I recently got my hands on a JDM field monitor for my '97 SR5. I do not have a sunroof; this is the unit without those controls.

While there are plenty of write-ups about the wiring and installation of these things, I haven't been able to find any good pictures or walk-throughs on how to install on a non-sunroof T4R.

I'd heard that it would be really easy, and I wouldn't have to cut my headliner. But after test fitting today, it looks like I will clearly need to cut it after all. I'm hoping someone who's done this same install will be able to tell me if there is indeed a bracket for the field monitor mounting screw underneath my headliner? I don't want to cut into the headliner more than necessary.

Here are my test-fit pictures.

Headliner mounting area/bracket for the '97 stock map lights/rear view mirror assembly—note the single blue/grey wire
Test fitting JDM field monitor on a '97 SR5-trumxhdl.jpg
Test fitting JDM field monitor on a '97 SR5-yjhf7dll.jpg

Hooking the JDM field monitor into the headliner (I'm assuming this is the correct placement?)
Test fitting JDM field monitor on a '97 SR5-ikapp4ql.jpg

Side view—clearly I need to cut the headliner
Test fitting JDM field monitor on a '97 SR5-uytcf9al.jpg
Test fitting JDM field monitor on a '97 SR5-qrpvkval.jpg

Field monitor mounting screw—hoping there is a bracket for it underneath the headliner?!
Test fitting JDM field monitor on a '97 SR5-k9wkoikl.jpg
Old 05-13-2017, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Here's a couple threads I'd bookmarked for interesting reading. It'll take some time and won't answer all your questions but it's a start and a half:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...port-ed-5.html

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/h...up-pics-94277/
Old 05-13-2017, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
Here's a couple threads I'd bookmarked for interesting reading. It'll take some time and won't answer all your questions but it's a start and a half
Thanks! I've actually poured over both of these write-ups as well as the links they reference. Still haven't found a person who has done this specific install (96-98 non-sunroof). I guess that means I'm going to be cutting my headliner blind! Hopefully there's a bracket under there that I can secure the field monitor with!
Old 05-14-2017, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Good luck!