Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

supercharging a 3.4

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supercharging a 3.4

i am thinking about buying a s/c, i live in washington and dont want to spend a ton of money, so im thinking getting a used one from someone on the forum, i dont want to do fuel mads and the sort now, would it be okay just to get a s/c or will i have problems.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HUTCHSTACO
i am thinking about buying a s/c, i live in washington and dont want to spend a ton of money, so im thinking getting a used one from someone on the forum, i dont want to do fuel mads and the sort now, would it be okay just to get a s/c or will i have problems.
do a search...this has been covered 10000x.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=supercharger

Last edited by Localmotion; 11-21-2005 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

i have search, i dont want to do the fuel mods and am wondering if any one in wa is running well with out them and have a s/c.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:18 PM

You will prolly get some grief for not searching but I am feeling in a good mood

I did just that, bought mine with under 12k miles on it, ran the lowest boost (stock pulley), the Gadget recommended plugs and never had a problem on my 99 ! I did add a Hayden stacked plate tranny cooler which is a cheap (~ $75) insurance policy.

I ran mine for 18 months. I was just really careful on gas quality.

I say do it and enjoy it. If you do have Ping issues, you can always pick up a TMC 1.1 which will just retard the ignition and they are fairly cheap.

Go for it.... its a blast

David
Old 11-21-2005, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

that is the kind of answer i was looking for, thank you.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

would i also not be able to run the 7th injector without the fuel mods
Old 11-21-2005, 01:43 PM

Asfar as I understand, the 7th injector is a stand alone mod that does not require additional fuel mods...

However, TRD designed the kit to fix a problem on one of their products that 'never had a problem in the first place '

In short, if you want to run higher boost with 100% confidence and get the maximum reliable power without trashing your motor, other mods are required.

Run stock boost and be smart and IMHO, it is fine.

BTW, the 'free fmu' mod is free and works...its a must and you can search that one...

David
Old 11-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

I thought the 7th injector was considered a "fuel mod." Doesn't this give the engine more fuel so that there is less detonation?

From the little I've searched on the 7th injector, cost is pretty close to the URD fuel mods.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ebelen1
I thought the 7th injector was considered a "fuel mod." Doesn't this give the engine more fuel so that there is less detonation?

From the little I've searched on the 7th injector, cost is pretty close to the URD fuel mods.
You do one or the other (7th injector or URD fuel mods) since one is a TRD Toyota solution and the other is aftermarket. Running without fuel mods can be done but also remember you don't always hear when detonation occurs or if the engine is running lean. I would not recommend a S/C unless you are willing to put in the money. If you want more acceleration, then regear.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:29 PM

If you get the supercharger, you should get the fuel mods. The high RPM lean out can ruin your engine.

You have to pay to play.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by init6
If you get the supercharger, you should get the fuel mods. The high RPM lean out can ruin your engine.

You have to pay to play.
well said
Old 11-21-2005, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
You do one or the other (7th injector or URD fuel mods) since one is a TRD Toyota solution and the other is aftermarket. Running without fuel mods can be done but also remember you don't always hear when detonation occurs or if the engine is running lean. I would not recommend a S/C unless you are willing to put in the money. If you want more acceleration, then regear.
Jamie is giving you good advice. Just because someone else got away with running a supercharger without fuel mods doesn't mean you will be able to. I personally wouldn't run the TRD charger without some kind of fuel mods. I don't feel like having to "soft pedal" my truck so I won't blow my engine running without enough fuel or detonation. I bought the supercharger to have fun with and I don't want to worry when I nail the gas.
IMHO--if you don't have the money for fuel mods--don't put the supercharger on. Save a little more dough and have some real fun with a complete "safe" system. I have seen more than one 3.4 ruined without fuel mods.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by init6

You have to pay to play.
You guys are too damn quick!! You beat to it!
Old 11-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

thats good information, thanks
Old 11-21-2005, 03:15 PM

I say give it a try and see what happens. You will probably want to do more mods... but I've seen plenty of people have no issues. The guys convinced me about doing the fuel mods (in the future). For now... I don't have any ping issues (I live in Portland, OR). I would at least put on a tranny cooler and Free FMU mod.

Here's what I've done:
Denso IK20 Plugs (just put in... my NGK Iridium plugs looks fine BTW)
5psi Boost Pulley (had no issue with the stock 6.5psi pulley, but wanted to see if it would help gas mileage)
Free FMU MOD
TRD Tranny Cooler
IPT Trans Valve Body
Amsoil Air Filter (no other intake mods)

It really makes the truck fun to drive!! My gas mileage dropped from 18 to 15 tho... and you need 92 oct gas.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by TRDOLMAN
Jamie is giving you good advice. Just because someone else got away with running a supercharger without fuel mods doesn't mean you will be able to. I personally wouldn't run the TRD charger without some kind of fuel mods. I don't feel like having to "soft pedal" my truck so I won't blow my engine running without enough fuel or detonation. I bought the supercharger to have fun with and I don't want to worry when I nail the gas.
IMHO--if you don't have the money for fuel mods--don't put the supercharger on. Save a little more dough and have some real fun with a complete "safe" system. I have seen more than one 3.4 ruined without fuel mods.
Glad to see I got away with it for 30k of hard driven when smart miles....

Guess I was just dumb and lucky

Really, I drove mine pretty hard once rolling... I did not try to burn from a standing start, just not what I needed it for.

I needed it for a reliable 4wd vehicle with good ground clearance for my part time job...what I realy needed was great passing power and I got that. At the time I installed mine, Gadget was very active (as was Ron S) and I was very aware of the HGLR concerns but never had them as long as I ran good gas and the standard pulley. I did not change pulleys as I felt the transmission would not last with more boost. Had I gone for more boost, I would have gone with fuel mods and a level 10.

So, in my case, after expecting problems when I installed it, over 30k miles, I never had any problems and the truck which is still running strong with 50k post SC ... the dealer gave it to his son when traded it.

Is that typical ? Apparently not but the dude wanted opinions and not a bunch of posts telling him to search.

That was MY experience but he must make his own decisions, same as I made mine.

And no, I was not dumb and lucky, I did all the right stuff to minimize risk and was very sensitive to any ping, even the most minor.

I put IMHO in my reply...so as the saying goes, you mileage (between rebuilds) may vary

David

Last edited by nrgetic99; 11-21-2005 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Its my experience that at sea level the lean out is much less of an issue, but once you start heading up in alt, I would start to ping like a biotch. I'd keep saving and do it right, but thats just me... put it in a savings account and get there a little quicker
Old 11-21-2005, 06:46 PM

Problems are well known, which is why URD exists. Cracked heads have been reported w/o fuel mods.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:46 PM

Jeff... If you want, we can get together and I'll show you how bad the engine runs without timing & fuel mods. I'd be happy to take my SMT out of the picture and just let the ECU have the truck. That'll show you what will happen without retarding the timing.

Past that, I can load a "map" into the SMT that will counteract the effect of my having larger injectors, then show you with the wideband A/FR meter how lean the top end gets - it's not pretty. You'll see EGT temps pushing 1600*... That's WAY too hot.

And, I forgot... are you auto or a 5spd? If you're auto, then even if you make the decision to do this without the fuel mods, then PLEASE look into spending the money for the tranny work. The way I think you drive , you're gonna tear up the tranny with an S/C.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

I think the long and the short of it is.....yes, there is a risk for not running the fuel mods. It is up to the individual whether they want to risk possible serious engine damage or not and there is proof on both side of the arguement (for and against the necessity of the mods). I am conservative on that stand so I would argue for them (even a few cases of exploding engines is enough for me), but others can certainly show they sucessfully did otherwise too. Up to you what you are willing to risk.

*EDIT*.....I have an idea that maybe more than a few people may have put on S/C (and no fuel mods) without knowing what they were risking and it appears to have done ok in some cases. It is almost impossible to know if any serious engine damage may eventually have resulted (like the tops of the pistons were eroding away slowly, bearing damage, etc) in those cases too because people would not have any reason to pull appart a running engine.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 11-23-2005 at 04:07 AM.

Quick Reply: supercharging a 3.4