Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Steering Wheel Remote Control

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 07:34 AM
Nam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Remote Control

I am just wondering if anyone has modified the stock stereo on 2000 LTD to work with any types of steering wheel remote control.

My dad's Sienna (2000 model also) has the factory steering wheel remote control. Does anyone know if the stock stereo on '00 LTD has the port to connect to the steering wheel remote control?

Any idea would be really helpful here!

Nam
Old 08-06-2003, 10:32 AM

At first I thought you wanted to hook up a huge servo so you could hop out and drive your 1:1 scale truck like a 1:10 scale Remote Control car... people have throttle controls, I thought this was the next evolution...

Anyway, I don't have an answer, but I do have a free: bump.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the Sienna have the same tuner as the 4Runner? If it doesn't, then the 4Runner probally won't accept the remote wiring.

If they are the same, then you'd have to come up with the wiring - plus figure out how they relay the commands since the steering wheel turns...
Old 08-06-2003, 11:14 AM

I don't know the answer to your question either, but i do know the newer 4th gens have the stereo remote control on the steering wheel. Maybe you can link something between those two.....
Old 08-06-2003, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

Rob-

I like that pic in your avitar.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Rob-

I like that pic in your avitar.
thanks

yeah I'm kinda upset that I didn't get into wheeling back when I was in arizona. Cuz I didn't find yotatech till I was in Indiana already. I had stumbled upon Gadget's site a long time ago, when I first bought the runner, but never went past that. Oh well, one day I'll drive back and we can go wheelin!!
Old 08-06-2003, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Plays_with_Toys
At first I thought you wanted to hook up a huge servo so you could hop out and drive your 1:1 scale truck like a 1:10 scale Remote Control car... people have throttle controls, I thought this was the next evolution...

Hey! I saw that done on T.V. once!!! They put SRB's used in the military on C-130's for taking off with heavy loads on a '69 Impala and ran it in the desert controlling it from a helicopter. NO ONE was inside. It was funny though they got it up to max speed under the combustion engine and then when they fired up the rockets it went so much faster than the little helicopter could go. I laughed. It ended up going 320 mph!

Zach
Old 08-06-2003, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can someone post a pic of what these stereo remotes look like? Are they a separate little pod, or integrated into the steering wheel itself?

When I used to compete in the IASCA sound challenge, I had a custom voltage comparator circuit that allowed me to use the horn wire for the cruise AND remote controls for the stereo. It involved taking the radio apart and soldering on the faceplate circuit board with ribbon cable on either side of the existing switches. I had cut the stitching on the steering wheel on the spokes and under the leather had recessed small momentary contact buttons (salvaged from a fax machine) All the pics are film, I'll need to dig them up and scan them.

I'd like to add this feature to my 4Runner when I upgrade my system next time.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:26 AM
Nam

Originally posted by bamachem
Does the Sienna have the same tuner as the 4Runner? If it doesn't, then the 4Runner probally won't accept the remote wiring.

If they are the same, then you'd have to come up with the wiring - plus figure out how they relay the commands since the steering wheel turns...
I think I will double check that and see if they are compatible. Thanks for your opinion.

Nam
Old 08-07-2003, 08:28 AM
Nam

Originally posted by Plays_with_Toys

LOL Plays_with_Toys...actually I have never though of that! interesting.

Nam
Old 08-07-2003, 08:30 AM
Nam

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
I don't know the answer to your question either, but i do know the newer 4th gens have the stereo remote control on the steering wheel. Maybe you can link something between those two.....
Oh man, I just love that feature! However, the steering of the 3rd generation is different from the 4th generation so I don't think I can do much with it.

Thanks for bringing up that idea!

Nam
Old 08-07-2003, 08:32 AM
Nam

Originally posted by White SR5
Hey! I saw that done on T.V. once!!! They put SRB's used in the military on C-130's for taking off with heavy loads on a '69 Impala and ran it in the desert controlling it from a helicopter. NO ONE was inside. It was funny though they got it up to max speed under the combustion engine and then when they fired up the rockets it went so much faster than the little helicopter could go. I laughed. It ended up going 320 mph!

Zach
Amazing!
Old 08-07-2003, 09:07 AM
Nam

Originally posted by Cebby
Can someone post a pic of what these stereo remotes look like? Are they a separate little pod, or integrated into the steering wheel itself?

When I used to compete in the IASCA sound challenge, I had a custom voltage comparator circuit that allowed me to use the horn wire for the cruise AND remote controls for the stereo. It involved taking the radio apart and soldering on the faceplate circuit board with ribbon cable on either side of the existing switches. I had cut the stitching on the steering wheel on the spokes and under the leather had recessed small momentary contact buttons (salvaged from a fax machine) All the pics are film, I'll need to dig them up and scan them.

I'd like to add this feature to my 4Runner when I upgrade my system next time.
Cebby,

What I am thinking now is either the Toyota OEM remote control that came stock on some Sienna models. I notice that the steering is the same for the 4runner, so it won't be too hard to mount.

Now if the stock stereo of the 4runner works with the remote control of the Sienna and it has the plug, my only problem is putting the wires from the steering to the head unit. I belive I can do this without too much trouble. Honestly I am afraid to touch those areas due to the airbags...but if this is the case, I would not mind doing it.

In the event that nothing works with the stock 4runner stereo, I have to come up with my own remote control. There are several on the Market right now: Jensen, Pioneer, Blaupunkt, and some others. This page has it all: http://www.millionbuy.com/caudio-kit-remote.html

Off course I am only interested on something that mounts securely on the steering wheel.

I am thinking about the Jensen one, and built an IR receiver, that controls the stock stereo. Off course, if the stereo does not have the plug for remote control, I have to do somewhat similar to what you did which is taking the radio apart and soldering on the faceplate circuit board with ribbon cables.

Any picture would be helpful as I am planning on completing this project within a few weeks.

Thanks

Nam

Last edited by Nam; 08-07-2003 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:42 PM

I know this is an old post, but I'm having a similar issue! I have a 2003 Toyota Sienna that I want to adapt the factory steering wheel controls to an aftermarket Pioneer head unit. PAC and Metra both don't have a compatible kit, but Metra says that if I can get the resistance readings off of the controls, they can help me make it work... but I test the 2 wires coming into the deck for resistance and I can't get a measurable reading... So, I took apart the actual control and it has 4 wires: blue, green, black and yellow where the deck only has the black and yellow, where do the other 2 wires go? Is there anyone that knows how these are supposed to work and if I can get a reading on the controls. Moreover, does anyone know ANY solutions for making this work? THANKS!