Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Steering wheel off center after alignment

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering wheel off center after alignment

I took my tacoma to Firestone for an alignment last week and after the tech struggled with it for two hours, the guy at the counter tells me that the alignment is good but they can't get my steering wheel on center. When driving straight the wheel is about 45 degrees to the left. I found another post that mentioned during a wreck the rack might shift. Since I was in an accident this summer I am wondering if the rack was damaged, does anyone have experience with this?
Other than the steering wheel off center the truck drives fine and there have been no problems turning etc... Can the steering wheel be removed and put on straight? Is there another way to adjust it?

Thanks for any help guys.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is what you can do. Toe out the left side a 1/2 turn and toe in the passenger side 1/2 turn. Drive it and see where your steering wheel is. The best way is to bring the tools with you so you can pull over to make adjustments. Just make sure you turn the tie rod ends equally on both sides. Rule of thumb, if the steering wheel is off to the left you want to toe the wheels to the left like I described. Same goes for the wheel being of to the right but vice-versa. As long as the truck does straight now, you can do this.

James
Old 02-12-2006, 11:09 AM

Sounds like an incompetent tech., at the Firestone store.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced a steering rack in my 2000 4Runner about two months ago. Even though I tied my steering wheel off straight and the new rack "is centered" after buttoning everything up my wheel was off about 45*. First thing I did was to make sure I could turn the wheels lock to lock and see if the rack was centered, counting turns from center to left and center to right. If it doesn't then the rack is not centered and must go back to the alignment shop.

I would think the taco is close to the same as a 4runner.

I straightened my steering wheel by: Drive in a straight line holding the steering wheel still (don't worry about its angle). Stop. Park. Climb under and find, At the bottom of the steering shaft there are two clamp bolts on a short (3") coupler, remove bolts and slide up. Have someone turn and hold the steering wheel straight.(CAUTION DO NOT LET THEM SPIN THE WHEEL, I'M TOLD IT WILL DAMAGE SOMETHING) Slide the coupler back down. Bolt back together. Test drive. If all is good then you are done. If not try a tooth to the left of the right.

It is pretty simple.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

It'll destroy your cruise control buttons if you spin the wheel. Knew a buddy that did it when putting the extender in after doing a BL.