Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Starting Trouble

Old 04-27-2007, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting Trouble

Ok, I was having starting trouble before, and it went away but now it's abck again. I am compltely lost on this one.

Pretty much, I replaced the battery, before and everything got better, but now after a week, its back again. When ever I try to start the truck, nothing happens, I can turn the key usually 3 or 4 times, and I get nothing. Then usually on the 4th or 5th try, it starts completely fine.

Any input would eb greatly appreciated. I have been driving through a lot of water lately with the floods in NJ, but nothing higher then the bottom of doors. This all started around the same time.

I think it's the alternator, but I have aboslutely no cue where to start on this one. Also, the Check engine light does come on while I am turning the key and nothing happens.

As always, thanks guys,

Jay
Old 04-27-2007, 01:43 PM

Just pulled the starter, and Pep Boys says it tested A-OK, got the slip and everything from them. Any help here??????
Old 04-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

This does not sound like a diff breather problem, but if you are driving through areas where the "pumkin" on your axles is lower than the water and you don;t have diff breathers - you are pulling in (via unbalanced pressure ) water into your 3rd members thus corroding the diff oil and causing problem for your 3rd members. You might want to drain one of your third members if you do not have diff breathers set up and make sure that your normally colored red diff oil does not look milky and grey - a sure sign you have water in your 3rd members in the differentials. While not catastrophic yet - it can be down the line. SO because to drain both of your diffs and check the color of the diff oil. If it is grey/brown and frothy/milky in color any way you MUST change out your diff oil and also add a modification called diff breathers. (search) Otherwise down the line you will replacing your gears within your third members too which is not cheap!

Hope that helps!
Old 04-27-2007, 02:38 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the coil, and battery connections. Does it turn over or click, it clicks your starter is no good.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:41 PM

Should try replacing the contacts on your starter while you have it out. $10 or so for parts.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
This does not sound like a diff breather problem, but if you are driving through areas where the "pumkin" on your axles is lower than the water and you don;t have diff breathers - you are pulling in (via unbalanced pressure ) water into your 3rd members thus corroding the diff oil and causing problem for your 3rd members. You might want to drain one of your third members if you do not have diff breathers set up and make sure that your normally colored red diff oil does not look milky and grey - a sure sign you have water in your 3rd members in the differentials. While not catastrophic yet - it can be down the line. SO because to drain both of your diffs and check the color of the diff oil. If it is grey/brown and frothy/milky in color any way you MUST change out your diff oil and also add a modification called diff breathers. (search) Otherwise down the line you will replacing your gears within your third members too which is not cheap!

Hope that helps!
Thanks, I have done the diff breather mod, and I change the diff oil every other year. Not a problem in the diffs, just starting it.

Originally Posted by CJM
Check the coil, and battery connections. Does it turn over or click, it clicks your starter is no good.
Nope, no click, when I turn it, I just get nothing, but then on the 4th or 5th try, bam, everything is good.

I just put in a new battery a week ago, so those connections look good. Also, what do you mean by coil?
Old 04-27-2007, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by JHupp
Ok, I was having starting trouble before, and it went away but now it's abck again. I am compltely lost on this one.

Pretty much, I replaced the battery, before and everything got better, but now after a week, its back again. When ever I try to start the truck, nothing happens, I can turn the key usually 3 or 4 times, and I get nothing. Then usually on the 4th or 5th try, it starts completely fine.

Any input would eb greatly appreciated. I have been driving through a lot of water lately with the floods in NJ, but nothing higher then the bottom of doors. This all started around the same time.

I think it's the alternator, but I have aboslutely no cue where to start on this one. Also, the Check engine light does come on while I am turning the key and nothing happens.

As always, thanks guys,

Jay
I just experienced the same exact problem. I have nothing to help you, but I picked up a new battery and still had similar symptoms as well; first turn, second turn nothing (other than accessories turning on) 3rd or 4th try truck turns over fine. Now I haven't experienced it in about a week or so. hmmm...
Old 04-27-2007, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lysmachia

Hope that helps!

What do diff's, have to do with a starter problem?
Old 04-27-2007, 07:54 PM

Starter contacts are the problem, worn out contacts. Various threads on it in Yota Tech.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
Starter contacts are the problem, worn out contacts. Various threads on it in Yota Tech.
I'm gonna have to disagree there. I did a search, and saw a whole heck of a lot of threads about that. When I pulled it yesterday I tok the cover off the solenoid, and the starter contacts look fine. They are not flattened, and they are not corroded.

I've had a few people tell me that the ignition switch(key switch) might be bad, but I've never heard of this happeneing, and I would think it would be really tough to get to, with all the theft proof stuff by the ignition. Don't know still....
Old 05-01-2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by JHupp
I've had a few people tell me that the ignition switch(key switch) might be bad, but I've never heard of this happeneing, and I would think it would be really tough to get to, with all the theft proof stuff by the ignition. Don't know still....
I haven't searched extensively yet, but I am also getting intermittment starting problems which got me reading my Haynes book. One of the suggestions there is to jump the battery to the small wire on the starter thereby confirming (or denying) an ignition switch issue if it starts.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

You are correct that it's not your contacts. If it were contacts you would get a click everytime you turned the key but the engine would not turn over.

I think Lysmachia was just giving him a heads up on because of the comment he made about the water he had been going through.

If I were you, I would buy the starter from Pep Boys, put the new one in and see if it works. I know you got it tested but for some reason, I would test it myself by putting a new one in, you can always return it if it's not the problem.

Fink
Old 05-01-2007, 10:59 PM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
i know this may not be the case, but on my older 87 toyota pickup, the big wires from the battery to the starter (like 8-10awg) went bad from the inside out. i remedied this by simply bypassing the wire with jumper cables from the battery post to the starter post. started up everytime afterward. maybe not old enough, but maybe they are corroded and not making a complete connection somewhere.

they're about $6 each at the local parts store. i replaced the ground at the same time as it looked like it could be a culprit down the road. just a quick check with jumpers...