Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Speaker Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 03:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaker Install

I don't want to take too much time here because I know this subject has had numerous writeups and besides, I am not an audiofile of any magnitude.

First of all, I regret that I did not record the name of the board member who so generaously provided the wooden template pattern for installing larger speakers in the rear doors. Having the template saved time and was very useful. However, I did make a major modification to the wooden plate to provide for the pocket in the rear door panel. I can provide a picture if anyone wants.

I also want to thank Rob, "Mexican Bandit", for all his kind advice and guideance in selecting the speakers I used. I installed Infinity Reference Series 6-1/2" #6002si speakers in the front and 5-1/4" # 5002i speakers in the rear. I really like the larger speakers in the rear but that is just my personal taste. I still have to install the 1" 1001t tweeters in the sail panels but the other four are in and functioning. It only took me about 3.5 hours from start to finish and clean up. This includes my trip to the lumber yard to get the piece of 3/4" baltic veneer plywood I used for the rear spacer plate and then fabricating the pieces myself. I did not have to cut or alter any of the body sheet metal or door panels and I retained the stock wiring and connectors, soldering the wires to the appropriate terminals on the speakers.

My obserrvation thus far is that the speakers provide a much FULLER and richer sound although on some CD's the highs are a bit brassy. Since both speakers are 2-way with a woofer and a tweeter, the base is heavy (for me) but not objectionable and with the level set at +1 it sounds good. The midrange I like set at +4 and the treble at +3 seems fine. I would love a small subwoofer but am not willing to install an amp or change the stock head unit.

Thanks again to all on the board who helped me.

BTW, my supercharger is running to perfection and there is absolutely no pre-ignition or detonation. Also, the NEW design Addco rear bar is on its way so hopefully there will finally be a bar that fits properly with both the stock and TRD exhaust systems.