Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Shrockworks bumper for 3rd gens & Tacomas

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TRDrunner
yeah id take one of those over a TJM or an ARB anyday.

they should make a TJM 17 version without the hoops.
Originally Posted by wormhole
Any more pictures of the bumper
Check out these pictures and this from TTORA.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by frodin1
$1000 for a bumper before the options start... After you put all that nice stuff on it your looking at a $2000 price tag.

I paid CONSIDERABLY less for my custom front bumper at Armorology...

Regards,

BWJ
Old 09-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
People, custom stuff costs money.

If you want cheap, go tube. It works very well.

Armorology produces great products, for a great price. However, so there isn't confusion, as of now, you MUST have your truck at their shop. If you can't get to CO, you are currently out of luck. If you can, you won't be disappointed.

This shrockworks bumper looks SICK, and the reviews of their 4th gen stuff has been top notch.

I understand the idea of keeping the cost down. We all have money issues, but big bucks for custom work is not out of line. I have built NUMEROUS custom pieces for my truck. I spend very little in actual materials, but i spend a LOAD of time working on them. Time is money folks, and these are businesses. They don't make money by giving stuff away.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

The single hoop looks nice!

I like this version too.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke

I understand the idea of keeping the cost down. We all have money issues, but big bucks for custom work is not out of line. I have built NUMEROUS custom pieces for my truck. I spend very little in actual materials, but i spend a LOAD of time working on them. Time is money folks, and these are businesses. They don't make money by giving stuff away.

Well built custom stuff always comes with a price tag. This is a very good looking bumper for the 3rd gens. And if they offered it no hoop, single hoop, or full front they will really appeal to most of the 3rd gen owners looking for a bumper. The price will be what its worth (materials/labour) however hopefully they can compete with the arb and tjm on price since they could really come out as strong competition. I know id buy one when i get to that phase
Old 09-10-2007, 08:38 PM

I kinds of like the single hoop.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by rocket
New bumper is finished...
Ohhh man I really like that! You think it would look good on my 4Runner.. with the 22"s and all..?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We will post up the options and pricing soon in the vendors section..call if you can't wait.

There was some questions about the bumper on Ultimateyota but I can't seem to be able to post. (edit Posted there but you might as well know here as well)

One question was the bumper working with a budbuilt skid, so I contacted Bud and we both think they will work nicely together.

Another concern is the low fairlead. So before production I am going to see if it is possible to move the winch up slightly. There isn't much room, I tried to get the bumper as tucked up and in as possible for approach. Give and take...

And a third was about mounting.It mounts in 4 places per bracket on a 4runner (before frame mod) 2-M12, 2-3/8" . Tacomas have 5 locations 3-M12 , 2-3/8" . Drilling/enlarging to 3/8" is necessary on both. The 4runner frame end cap needs to be ground flush with the frame on the bottom and inside...(Since I was there, I went the rest of the way and did the end cap mod.)

Fo SheeZy- it would still look good, maybe no tube black so it blends in.

Nick

Last edited by ToyFamily; 09-11-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by unitofstuff
I read a spec sheet somewhere that the airbags on the 3rd gen's are deceleration-activated. Take it with a grain of salt, since this is just something I read, and I can't even remember where, but it doesn't seem like anyone making custom bumpers has ever had much of a problem.
Yes, thats rights, they do use an accellerometer to trigger the airbags, but it is the crush cans that control the decelleration. If the mounting system interferes with these then the airbag will deploy at lower speeds than what it was designed for. Yes, the airbag will deploy during a crash at normal city driving speeds, but you now have the chance of it also deploying at lower (read offroad) speeds where it is simply not needed.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wormhole
I kinds of like the single hoop.
Me too! To keep the cost down without trying to nickel and dime armorology we may want to request a bumper with no hoops or powder coat. That would shave some money off the price.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke

If you want cheap, go tube. It works very well.
Thats why i am going with tube, for my custom one which will be done Friday.

I am using 2" x 2", 1.5" and 1" round for my bumper. The 2" x 2" gives it a more kind of plate bumperish look, but yet retaining the light weight and cost.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:54 PM

So I take it the one I quoted is very expensive?
Old 09-11-2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
Ohhh man I really like that! You think it would look good on my 4Runner.. with the 22"s and all..?

black 20's with some all terrians would be pretty tight with your running boards off and them black taillights you wanted
Old 09-11-2007, 07:48 PM

Yeah dude I really want to give my 4Runner a makeover, and I'm going to start with this bumper!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:48 PM

ya that single hoop version is soooooo sweeeeeeet!!!!
now I just need to sell one of the family jewels....lol
Old 09-11-2007, 09:09 PM

one thing that stands out now, is that its pretty much the same width as the tjm and will not protect/line up with the runners with fender flares.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:56 AM

Here is where it lines up in relation to the body, the outer wing is rotated slightly out for fender space on the production model.

As for the price, wait and see acutal numbers. You guys wanted to know, I gave a safe pallpark. We have to go through the numbers and wee what the costs are and it'd be better to bid higher than lower and have a bunch of calls, " you said???". Just wait, we are working on it. It may come out the same as I said, may not.

So I take it the one I quoted is very expensive?
it's actually cheaper with no tube.

Nick

Last edited by ToyFamily; 09-12-2007 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:55 AM

Do you know how much it weighs? The people I know who have done the ARB Bull Bar have been unhappy with how the truck reacts with that much weight hanging off the front.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:49 AM

Weights

No tube = 98lbs.
Prerunner hoop = 106lbs.
Full tube = 116lbs.

I installed OME N91S, 881's on the front of the 4runner and when I installed the bumper it dropped 7/16" (at the front edge, just beside the corner light). That was full tube version. The only differerence I notice before and after is the stiff suspension since the lift went on. I am waiting for a 10mm spacer to come in today, and other than the front being lower I am noticing little difference.

Nick

Last edited by ToyFamily; 09-12-2007 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:40 AM

Yeah dude I really want to give my 4Runner a makeover, and I'm going to start with this bumper!
You may want to consider this fact when looking for a bumper. Since you main focus is cosmetic, the bumper may look like it doesn't belong being so far off from lining up with the flares.

Originally Posted by Godzilla
one thing that stands out now, is that its pretty much the same width as the tjm and will not protect/line up with the runners with fender flares.

Quick Reply: Shrockworks bumper for 3rd gens & Tacomas