Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Selling broken toy and need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selling broken toy and need advice

I have an 85 toyota shortbed 22r standard with 236k miles. For the first time in its life it overheated. I opened the hood and could smell trouble. I towed it into the mechanic (he is extremely reputable in New Orleans). Here is what he wrote up: Pressure test system: oil into cooling system, timing cover damaged internally. estimate on t/chain replacement $1125.00. He showed me that the radiator had a light brown foamy liquid in it (oil mixed with radiator fluid).

I am selling my beloved truck :-(

Here is my question. Someone said that my mechanic is wrong and that it is a cracked head gasket. I don't know enough about this, could it be true? He said that a damaged timing chain cover could not explain the oil in the cooling system.

Also, does anyone know how much I should ask for in its current condition?
its in fairly good condition with a new alternator, slave and master cylindar and cold a/c.

On the bright side i just picked up a 88 toyota with half the miles.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2004, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am no engine guru, but it very well could have happened inside the timing cover. The timing chain has plastic guides that tend to break at about 175,000 to 185,000 miles. Once they're broken the chain slaps around the inside of the timing cover, and after a while the steel chain will wear a hole in the aluminum cover.

The labor on a job like that is what costs so much. I spent a few days changing mine (but I only worked on it about 1 1/2 hours each day).

If you're interested in fixing it, check out the timing kits from www.engnbldr.com. That's what I used and it seems to be a good deal. It comes with metal backed chain guides to keep them from breaking again. A lot of guys on 4x4Wire swear by them. Also, I'm not sure if Engnbldr is on YotaTech, but he is always on 4x4Wire.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the water pump mounts to the chain cover, the upper part of the cover itself has water inlets molded into it. So a stretched chain (235,000 miles is about 100k too long to wait to change a chain, IMO) will break the plastic guides and slap around, eventually wearing through the water inlets behind the pump allowing water to run into the oil pan, causing loss of cooling capability. Could be a head gasket, but my money's on your mechanic's diagnosis. You have to pull the head and replace the gasket to install a new timing chain anyways. Some argue that, but the headaches will come in trying to get that cover on and off without damaging the head gasket, and sealing the cover properly with no leaks. Should have a valve job and stem seals replaced while the head is off. She'll drive like new!