Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Seat Support Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Seat Support Question

Hey all,

Do any of you know anything about the front floor crossmembers that secure the seats down? I need to have one of mine replaced and the local stealership quoted me a price of $340. Now aside from finding the actual part I want to know do you have to weld it in place or is it a screw in piece? Has anyone had to replace this part before?

I know it?s weird, but long story made short?.I tried to cut a corner and now am paying the price. In the quote the part number is 57452-35040, and I am not able to find anything via a google search.

Please Help,

Outkast`
Old 08-16-2007, 04:19 AM
Contributing Member

I assume you are talking about the one at the front of the seat that goes from left to right correct?

I just had the carpet up on my 94 when I replaced my front bench with buckets and that cross member appeared to be welded to the floor pan.

Just as a question what did you do wrong that you need to replace it?
there may be another way to fix it.
Prost Aviator
Old 08-16-2007, 04:39 AM

Well I took it to Cartoys for a totally unrelated issue, and when I got back in it I noticed that I had a mobile 'rocking chair'. I don't know what the tech was doing but he fixed one issue and gave me another.

If I had access to welding equipment I'd just weld the nut back to the frace and afix the seat as needed, but due to the rocking motion I may be better off just replacing it.

outkast`
Old 08-16-2007, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Without seeing the thing myself [and from experience test mounting my seats] I think the issue is simply related to a loose nut.
Have you pulled out the seat and lifted the carpet?
the brace is open on the back side so it would be posible to either re-weld the nut or if you dont care about a small hole in the carpet you could get to it from the back with a socket wrench and re-bolt it that way. If you leave all the other bolts loose there is enough flexibility to lift the seat enough to get you arm under there, you'd just need some one else to wrench the bolt down for you. Then just re-attach the other bolts. Put some anti-sieze on them when you do in case you need to get them out again.
It sounds like the tech used an air gun and torqued the bolts down too tight when he put the seat back.
Prost Aviator

Last edited by aviator; 08-16-2007 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:33 AM

Well I have pulled the actual bolt out and yeah I had to loosen the other screw on the crossbar in order to get it out. I think that I can get it back in but wanted to take a look at the actual part to see how it was welded in. I mean I see the tack welds on the bolt and know it can't be too difficult. Honestly the most work comes with pulling the carpet up and the seat out, and for that I can't understand the stealerships estimate.

How long woult the anti-sieze last? I'm going to ask around here locally and see if I can find a willing welder.

No the tech at cartoys was A) big boned, B) careless, and C) not the best in the world. He never had to remove the seat or anything, but he was putting stress on that point by leaning on the seat. At least that's the only logic that I can use as to why it was loosed.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Leaning on the seat should'nt have loosened it at all really that bolt is ment to hold the seat in place in an accident and it is [supposed to be] a beefy piece of hardware.
The anti-sieze would last for practically ever... there are a few kinds... the copper fluid anti sieze [which works great] and two varietys of "thread-locker" #242 [red] [med. strength] which seals the threads but still allows for relatively easy removal and #262 {blue} [high strength] which allows for removal but only with a serious amt. of work... all of these work by preventing corrosion from getting into the threads and all work really well at what they do. IMO.
Hope this helped Aviator
Old 08-16-2007, 12:31 PM

Why not take it back to them and have them fix their mistake..