Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

SC'r & Valve Body Mod Done

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow SC'r & Valve Body Mod Done

Yes! It's finally in!!! It's been killing me having it sit around for 6 months. :shaking:

Here are the details:

TRD 3.4L Supercharger (stock pulley 6.5 lb)
TRD Thermostat (yeah $50... but it comes in a box)
TRD Boost Guage
TRD Tranny Cooler (it's nice!)
Valve Cover Guaskets (dealer) & spark plug hole guasket
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Spark Plug wires (dealer)

Installation:

It took about 10 hrs... a bit longer than the projected 4 hr.

This was mostly due to removing the valve covers (cleaning, spraying, new guaskets).

After:

I decide to install the Dynamic Belt tensioner instead of the idler pulley setup. This was easy except for needing to tap the bolt hole, and getting a replacement bolt (called ~ 20 bolt places to find it!!!).

I also did some extra vacume work... the ever popular Free FMU mod. Basically you install a "T" on the boost port with the right side going to the boost guage and the left side going to the FMU. So when the manifold pressure goes into boost it will raise the fuel pressure by a 1:1 ratio (meaning for every PSI in air boost, fuel pressure PSI raises by 1 PSI). This allows for the boost to come on smoothly.

The other thing that many miss when SC their engine is to install the check valve in the air assist line. This prevents boost pressure from back flowing through the air passages in the fuel injector tip and back out toward the throttle body. This can take needed fuel with it preventing it from being injected into the engine under boost.

It's in!!!

Performance:

Yes. You do have to run Premium with a SC'r. But it is well worth it!!!
The engine idles extremely smooth (like stock). And it sounds awesome on acceleration!!! .

It takes much less pedal to maintain speed and it gets up to speed much easier. Much more torque at low revs (under 2500), and the boost over 3k is exciting.

So far... it has been running great with no ping issues that many experience. Time will tell.

A week after the Charger was installed I had a local Tranny shop (CR Transmission) drop the Valve Body out. It was shipped off to Import Performance Transmission to get the Valve body work done (kinda like a shift kit). Those guys are awesome!!! I had it to them on Tuesday @ 11am. They had it shipped out Weds!!! The work was excellent. Now the truck shifts quick and solid (no more sliding into gears).

I'd highly recommend these guys!!! If you have a SC'r, pull heavy loads, or whatever... this will certainly help extend your transmission life.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com

Please don't post to tell me to get the URD fuel mods. I'm not interested. I don't want to tune my engine... Or hack up my wiring.

Last edited by montypower; 11-02-2005 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you reset the ECU? You need to...

Originally Posted by montypower
Please don't post to tell me to get the URD fuel mods. I'm not interested. I don't want to tune my engine... Or hack up my wiring.
Okay... then please don't talk about how you threw a "System too lean" CEL when you mashed the pedal, or ended up burning a hole in a piston or threw a rod. Fair 'nuff?

If it's not pinging yet, it will be soon. And it'll get worse as the ECU settles into handling the new airflow.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

Looks good. glasd you got it all installed.
I have to ask, why wouldn't you want to tune your truck?? You are assuming that the truck does not need it or just you don't care??
With a s/c the truck requires more fuel, how will you compensate?

It has nothing to do with URD, but the ability to dial the truck in based on drivng conditons and what the truck needs to run properly. You don't "hack" your wires to perform any of the mods. They are installed and it can be done was well as OEM and even better/ cleaner. IMO

Enjoy the boost

Had to get that off my chest
Old 11-03-2005, 06:31 AM

I posted this mainly to recommend the guys at IPT as they have been incredible!!! If you are SC'd you really need to get this done. The rest of the info I figured might be of help/interest to others.

I like the truck to be simple/reliable not needing tweaking to run right. I did reset the ECU both after the SC'r was installed and VB was done. The CEL has not come on once since the install. The motor runs as smooth as stock. There is no lag on the boost and it gives plenty of it. At WOT there is no pinging either. I heard that the 99 and newer 4runners had an upgraded computer/fuel system and could handle the SC'r better.... but whatever the case... It is running awesome and has much more power. I have about 800 miles on it so far and live @ 200ft elevation. If at some point I want to do fuel mods or other performance upgrades, I'll talk to you guys.

Mark have you done the VB yet?? I'd rather blow the engine than tranny!!! I have access to a spare motor.....
Old 11-03-2005, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Good luck and know just b/c youd on't hear predetonation doesn't mean it is NOT happening.

Whether you have a access to extra engines is irrlevant. Why would you want to replace either???

FWIW my truck was fast with no fuel mods. I added fuel mods and PROPERLY tuned the truck= Night and day differenence

edit: yes IPT work comes hightly recommended. Hopefully mine will go out this winter.

Last edited by FilthyRich; 11-03-2005 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:44 AM

Mark have you done the VB yet?? I'd rather blow the engine than tranny!!! I have access to a spare motor.....
Valid question, but given that I don't have direct access to either, rebuilding a tranny is cheaper than doing a motor.

When $1000 comes my way, I'll get it done. Until then, I just stay off of it from the shift to 1st-2nd...

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
edit: yes IPT work comes hightly recommended. Hopefully mine will go out this winter.
Ditto.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:00 AM

My point is simply this... you need your VB done just as much as I do fuel mods. I've talked to / seen many 3.4s that have gone 100-200k + miles being SC'd w/o any mods!!! The tranny held up... the motor held up. I think Toyota knew what they were doing!!! If I get another 100k out of mine... I'll be happy.

When/If I decide to do the fuel mods... I'll let you guys know. For now I'm loving the charger... I think it will hold up fine as I drive conservatively (except to pass).
Old 11-03-2005, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

I think the vb isn't as neccesary as fuel mods. I promise I am not starting an argument in your thread-honest. I don't launch my truck or get on it from 1st-2nd, so for me, the vb is extra insurance and will allow me to "get into it" if I want.....

glad you like the s/c. It is a fun.

As soon as I get $450, John is getting my vb
Old 11-03-2005, 07:36 AM

How complicated is it to drop the valve body out?
And how much did it cost you to ship it to IPT?
Old 11-03-2005, 07:56 AM

I had a tranny shop do it because it is extremely messy. It looks easy (especially if you had a lift). It only cost $80 to have them remove/install it. Tranny service $90. Shipping was ~ $80 each way (overnight). VB mod was $500. Add a TRD cooler... and it's $1000.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

My point is simply this... you need your VB done just as much as I do fuel mods. I've talked to / seen many 3.4s that have gone 100-200k + miles being SC'd w/o any mods!!! The tranny held up... the motor held up. I think Toyota knew what they were doing!!! If I get another 100k out of mine... I'll be happy.

When/If I decide to do the fuel mods... I'll let you guys know. For now I'm loving the charger... I think it will hold up fine as I drive conservatively (except to pass).
Here is where Gadget comments on detonation when I asked a similar question:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/gas-needed-run-s-c-52780/

It is a very dangerous thing to play around with whether you run premium gas or not.

BTW, your install looks great and the pics are helpful for all doing such an install.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 11-03-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:32 AM

I had a tranny shop do it because it is extremely messy. It looks easy (especially if you had a lift). It only cost $80 to have them remove/install it. Tranny service $90. Shipping was ~ $80 each way (overnight). VB mod was $500. Add a TRD cooler... and it's $1000.
Also note that if the truck is your only transportation then it'll be down for the time that the VB is out - so add $$ for a rental car for 3-4 days.

Monty, did the $90 cover the cost of the tranny fluid?

Crux, the physical pull is very easy, but like Monty said, it's VERY messy. When you crack the seal on the tranny pan, you'll get to catch about 10 quarts of tranny fluid... there will still be 2 or so left in the torque converter.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by midiwall
The total cost was $175 for them to drop the VB... Reinstall. Change the filter. And put new fluid in.

Peter
Old 11-03-2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
Also note that if the truck is your only transportation then it'll be down for the time that the VB is out - so add $$ for a rental car for 3-4 days.

Crux, the physical pull is very easy, but like Monty said, it's VERY messy. When you crack the seal on the tranny pan, you'll get to catch about 10 quarts of tranny fluid... there will still be 2 or so left in the torque converter.
My supercharger is starting to get really noisey, not rattlely, more like it's having trouble spinning. (kinda sounds 'raspy') Low oil? Metal bits broken off inside? Probably time for me to send it off to be rebuilt (the current s/c is at about 60k now).

I've been reading a lot of your s/c threads and if I can get enough $$ I might try to do those urd fuel mods later this winter. Reading those threads on the SMT6 seems fairly daunting tho (choppin ECI wires and what not). I wonder if it's too late for my engine tho? It's already got 116k miles and a supercharger has been on it for 80k..

I suppose I should do the VB someday to save my transmission too.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Crux
My supercharger is starting to get really noisey, not rattlely, more like it's having trouble spinning. (kinda sounds 'raspy') Low oil? Metal bits broken off inside? Probably time for me to send it off to be rebuilt (the current s/c is at about 60k now).
Yeah, I'd say it's worth a call to Magnuson and see what they say. Sounds like a rebuild would do it.

I've been reading a lot of your s/c threads and if I can get enough $$ I might try to do those urd fuel mods later this winter. Reading those threads on the SMT6 seems fairly daunting tho (choppin ECI wires and what not). I wonder if it's too late for my engine tho? It's already got 116k miles and a supercharger has been on it for 80k..
It's never too late. If there's damage, then there will be damage, but doing the mods will stop further damage and get you more power.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Look... without any type of fuel mods, you can pretty much kiss your engine goodbye...!!! It may run smooth and well now, but you are just actually killing your motor slowly...

Try taking it to a dyno shop or if you have any kind of wideband meter to read your AFR.. you'll see how lean you are running when in WOT....and everytime you open up to hear and feel that power from the SC you're basically destroying your motor...

URD isn't the only option you have for fuel upgrades... TRD makes the 7th injector--and there is also other fuel management controllers out there in the market...

If you insist on not getting this done I guarantee you will be sorry later...but then again you say you have access to another motor which most of us here don't.. but why waste money...??? You can wisely spend it on fuel mods and get almost twice the power and performance that you have now...

BTW the IPT valve body is a great upgrade ..!!! I did mine myself with the help of my friend Dave (TRDOLMAN) only took a couple hour to take it out and even less time putting it back in...
Old 11-03-2005, 09:37 PM

I understand what you are saying about fuel mods... but how do you explain all the hundreds no thousands of SC'd guys w/o mods who have not blown the motor. How many cases of blown SC'd 3.4s are there? I've only heard a couple stories... and they had other issues as well.

If you install the charger properly, install the check valve, do the FMU mod, run the Iridium plugs, TRD Thermo, 92 oct gas, and are well maintained... I'd venture that the motor will hold up fine. I know the later trucks 1999+ had less fuel/computer issues as well.

I'd be interested to start a new thread requesting SC'd guys (w/o mods) to post how many miles they have & if they've blown any motors.

Once again the purpose of this thread was not to debate fuel mods... but for useful information and give credit to IPT. There are a number of reasons for me not wanting to go down the fuel mod road... one is that it opens up the endless quest for more power!!! I did look into the 7th injector a while back, and I might go that route in the future (or URD). I'm happy with it for now... and I'll let you guys know if the motor blows!!!!!
Old 11-04-2005, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Noliwan
BTW the IPT valve body is a great upgrade ..!!! I did mine myself with the help of my friend Dave (TRDOLMAN) only took a couple hour to take it out and even less time putting it back in...
I assume you mean you removed and installed the valve body yourself not that you acually modified the VB yourself, right?
Old 11-04-2005, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
I assume you mean you removed and installed the valve body yourself not that you acually modified the VB yourself, right?
You are correct. He removed it---sent it to IPT---then reinstalled it himself.
Actually it is a pretty simple job. Messy but easy.

And to the guy running the charger with no fuel mods----good luck with that.
Sorry you won't be having as much fun as I am with my extra 80 RWHP I picked up from fuel mods and WI. Just because you might not have heard of engine problems due to supercharger leanout doesn't mean they are not happening. A guy in my neck of the woods is on his third engine because he refuses to consider fuel mods or timing control.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice job on the valve covers, how did you do that?

Quick Reply: SC'r & Valve Body Mod Done