Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

RPM Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPM Issues

I am a complete newbie when it comes to taking care of vehicle issues so bare with me on the questions.

Long story short I put in a cold air intake and throttle body spacer with a buddy of mine "who knows what he is doing"

Well the rpms where going crazy so he decided to mess with the throttle cables and had me running at 2000 RPM on while just sitting on park and at 1200-1400 while in regular gear.

^^^ I am very aware that this is wrong..... and was under the impression that it was due to the throttle body spacer. So I took it out and looked to readjust the cables based upon the engine noise (whether it was going to stall out on me or not) and found that I still can't get it to where it should be.

I late find out that there is a screw located on the throttle body that controls the "cold" or "sitting" idle..... well the end that you use the allen tool to make adjustments with is broken off so I can't make adjustments.

So here are my questions.....

1) What is the piece called that all the throttling cables hook into.... and do I need to order another one or can I just somehow replace that specific adjustment screw...

2) Was the RPM issue really caused by the throttle body spacer? I have been told yota's tend not to like them and then other people were telling me it was just not sealing properly (which I could understand because the gaskets were of some cardboardish material).

3) As a newbie should I even play with it and try to fix it myself or would I be saving myself time and further costly mistakes and just go to a mechanic and pay that bill...

I'm not looking to go into and hardcore offroading....I just use the vehicle on some trails in the mountains to get to certain points for mountain biking....the whole point of the spacer was to help increase gas mileage

Any help would be truly appreciated!!!

Vehicle: 2000 Toyota 4runner Limited 3.4L V6
Mileage: 98130
Modifications: TB-Space; Cold Air Intake; Cleaned the TB; Replaced Cracked vacuum lines
Old 07-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, first off, remove everything you installed, the stock intake works best anyways. Just make sure you leave that elbow that goes into the fender out, that will free up some power.

Next, yes the spacer could cause that kind of problem.

Next you do not need a new TB, just reinstall it like stock and make sure the gasket is installed correctly and it is not torn ect.

The idle RPM is adjusted automatically by the ECU, you can not adjust it. It trys to keep it at 800rpm, if it is higher then that then that means to have a vacuum leak, most likely either you forgot to hook a vacuum line back up or the gasket was not installed right.

If you messed with the vacuum lines, then that is the most likely cause. Check them all over and make sure they are hooked up to the right thing and not leaking.

You want the throttle cable to have just a little slack in it with the TB closed. you do NOT wanting it keeping the throttle body open at all.