Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Remember my head gasget problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember my head gasget problem?

A short while back (4 months?) i had a problem with my head gasget. took it to toyota and got it back a week and $2600 later. They said if i can find somebody else with the problem and proved they were maintained, they'll make a recall on it and refund me the $$

well tonight i saw a second gen pull up with huge tires, after market, roof rack, and a nice grill guard. i figured the guy had offroaded it some. so i naturally introducted myself (it's my job to say hi anyway at sam's club). we got to talkin and found out we both had the same head gasget problem. we exchanged cards and i also invited him here (i hope he sees this post). anyway. I'm gonna get his vehicle info and call toyota about it, pull some strings, see what i can do.

if anybody else has a 95 with a head gasget problem and got stuck with the bill, let me know

Old 06-24-2003, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Uh, why didn't you post this earlier? (or did you?)
Old 06-24-2003, 11:20 PM
Contributing Member

i made many threads on my head gasget problem
Old 06-25-2003, 05:29 AM

I think mine has a problem for the 3rd! time! Toyota did th gaskets twice, now says it's not their problem. If a new set of spark plugs don't fix my poor running, I'm going to have to tear into this thing, since I can't afford the $900 the cheapest shop in town quoted me.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:00 AM

I am confused here. All the 3.0s where recalled due to faulty head gaskets right? So, what the hell are you paying for it for?

You need to have this address. It might be that the dealer is trying to slick you on it. If they do the work and file it as a warranty claim they get paid much less then if they charge you full price.

So, what am I missing here?

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 06-25-2003, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

I agree with Gadget. It seems like people are giving up too easy. The headgasket recall should never be an issue again. If the "new" gasket was installed, and the head bolts torqued properly, you should never have to deal with this again.

The problem is that Toyota pays the dealer to do the recall, and then a code is entered on your VIN. Once that code is there, bye bye free headgasket replacement. So, if the first installer was an idiot, then you suffer the wrath. The dealer does not want to shell out the doe or time to fix the problem they created. The gasket design has been changed, that's all there is to it.

For example, my 96 had the recall done way back in Sept of 96, but with the "old" gasket design. The code was never entered on my VIN. So, when I bought the truck in Feb of 03, I found out I was eligible for the new design. I insisted on the shop foreman doing the work, and when he tore into it, he found a coolant hose clamp missing, and 2 exhaust studs broken. The previous installer was an idiot.

This is unacceptable. Document everything and demand a fix.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i made many threads on my head gasget problem
No, not a post about your headgasket problem, but rather, a post that you needed to find somebody with a 95 that had a HG problem too. I'm sure somebody on the internet has a 95 with a HG problem. I would have posted threads all over the internet asking for somebody with a 95.

Originally posted by Gadget
I am confused here. All the 3.0s where recalled due to faulty head gaskets right? So, what the hell are you paying for it for?
No, not all the 3.0s were recalled. Only certain serial numbers of engines were recalled, mostly the middle years of production. The newer model years, like the 95, were not recalled. Supposedly these years don't have a problem, but I don't believe that.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:52 AM
TOR

Head gasket

Yeah depending on your VIN you should be able to get the recall done at no cost. I know in the past this has been a problem wiht other dealerships and people have gotten into trouble on it. I would definitely document everything and then return to the service department asking to speak with the manager. I just spoke with my director about it and he did confirm it. Let us know what happens.

Todd
Old 06-25-2003, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

TOD would you be able to look at any info on my car about the head gasget? what kind of past is it showing for you concering the head gasget?

my vin is JT3VN29V7S0067252
Old 06-25-2003, 10:36 AM
TOR

L33T35T

Yeah I will be back with some info in a bit.

Todd

Ok, sorry for slow reply. We ran it in our computer and you don't come up elligible for the recall. Sorry man.

Last edited by TOR; 06-25-2003 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

try this article.

http://home.off-road.com/~kemanuel/V6-HG.htm

I checked with the "Corp Headquarters" and they said I was not eligible.

It sounds to me like it was not truly a recall. This article calls it a "special service campaign".

I bet if it's not a true recall, they get to make up the rules.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by TOR
L33T35T

Yeah I will be back with some info in a bit.

Todd

Ok, sorry for slow reply. We ran it in our computer and you don't come up elligible for the recall. Sorry man.
that's what ive been told by everybody

i'm gonna get some info together on other 95s that werent elligible and see what i can do.

thanks
Old 06-25-2003, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
I agree with Gadget. It seems like people are giving up too easy. The headgasket recall should never be an issue again. If the "new" gasket was installed, and the head bolts torqued properly, you should never have to deal with this again.

The problem is that Toyota pays the dealer to do the recall, and then a code is entered on your VIN. Once that code is there, bye bye free headgasket replacement. So, if the first installer was an idiot, then you suffer the wrath. The dealer does not want to shell out the doe or time to fix the problem they created. The gasket design has been changed, that's all there is to it.

For example, my 96 had the recall done way back in Sept of 96, but with the "old" gasket design. The code was never entered on my VIN. So, when I bought the truck in Feb of 03, I found out I was eligible for the new design. I insisted on the shop foreman doing the work, and when he tore into it, he found a coolant hose clamp missing, and 2 exhaust studs broken. The previous installer was an idiot.

This is unacceptable. Document everything and demand a fix.

i think you have summed up my situation pretty well, i now have a 3.4 that collects dust at my expense. i wish Thomason Toyota had never touched my truck but i didnt own it then. dont worry the vin# told me who did the job!!

sorry to stray...
Old 06-26-2003, 07:40 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

Neither of my 95's needed or qualified for the HG recall. My 96 did though. Good luck on the research.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:28 AM

I've been diagnosed (by the dealer) as having a head gasket leak, but I've not had it repaired yet. They tell me my VIN is just outside the series that was covered.

I'll go back and check the old thread, but are you saying that we may have a case to get Toyota to cover the repair?

If you are going to organize an effort on this, count me in!

Last edited by Bean; 06-26-2003 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:38 AM
TOR

Head gaskets

If your VIN doesn't show you as eligible then you would have to schedule the work with dealership under the pretenses that you are going to pay for the work after it is completed. I would ask to see the old gasket immediately after it is removed to see if it is the old style. This can be done by simply comparing it to the new one they are going to replace. If it is different then there is your answer, good luck.

Todd