Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Record breaking mileage on my 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey you can't blame people for not searching huh?

Old 01-28-2009, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the only way is to tailgate a semi tractor on the highway

or have a strong tailwind while driving 45mph

or do it downhill

otherwise, there is no way ever to get 28mpg. I mean hell I can get 999 mpg when
I am driving and let off the gas. I can get 34 mpg and 80 mpg all over town. but
for a whole tank....you will not get better than 23 avg tank in a 5vz no way no how

edit: this cannot be US Gallons which is what EPA MPG ratings are based on

I have a computer hooked up to my 5vz engine and have done hundreds of drives with
various grades of gas, tire pressures, weather conditions...even tailgating semis....

and what u say is unpossible with us gallons on a 5vz moving any stock toyota with stock size tires

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 01-28-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:53 AM

I'm pulling the BS CARD rigth now!

Oh man I'm glad I read thru this whole posting before going off!

28mpg!!! really are you kidding me are you defying the laws of physics haha.

Anyway, I can somewhat believe 23mpg and would love for some of the peps claiming those figures to tell us more specifics like type of engine, tranny, mileage, psi, type of oils they use, filters, size of tires and type of tire, maint tips etc etc. Because 23 mpg is pretty amazing for a 3rd gen runner especially with over 100k mile engines and those getting so lucky to avg 23mpg+ can tell the rest of us what were doing wrong.

It's okay cause come this summer I'll be doing 55+mpg on my bike and then I won't be so bitter when I hear that people with a 3rd gen just like mine are getting totally amazing delusional mpg numbers.

Ok I'm done b$&^#n
Old 01-28-2009, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Yobroe
I'm sorry...there is no way any V6 4runner is getting 28...maybe very low 20's but not 28. I personally have never got over 20. I used to get around 17-19, but now with the lift and bigger tires, I am getting 14-15. God, I can't wait to get new gears!

Almost forgot to ask you. What gear ratio are you going with and also where are you getting your gears from. I'm really considering regearing as well now that I'm running 285's
Old 01-28-2009, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by jrb23
Oh man I'm glad I read thru this whole posting before going off!

28mpg!!! really are you kidding me are you defying the laws of physics haha.

Anyway, I can somewhat believe 23mpg and would love for some of the peps claiming those figures to tell us more specifics like type of engine, tranny, mileage, psi, type of oils they use, filters, size of tires and type of tire, maint tips etc etc. Because 23 mpg is pretty amazing for a 3rd gen runner especially with over 100k mile engines and those getting so lucky to avg 23mpg+ can tell the rest of us what were doing wrong.

It's okay cause come this summer I'll be doing 55+mpg on my bike and then I won't be so bitter when I hear that people with a 3rd gen just like mine are getting totally amazing delusional mpg numbers.

Ok I'm done b$&^#n

I have done it for 390 miles. a little over 23mpg

bone stock 1999 4runner limited, loaded. 5vz, automatic, [4wd/awd/] in 2wd mode...running Michelin LTX/MS at 40psi.
mileage was 130,000+ on odo. roof rack and air deflector. I did remove the moon roof air deflector, but the rear window deflector is attached. windows up, ac on 71 degrees. partly cloudy day.

summertime, 65 degrees, summer 89 octane gas, very low alcohol content, formulated for Massachusetts (NE blend)
---
fill tank, on-ramp to RT3 north is .5 miles from gas pump. cruise control nailed at 64mph. I didn't have to touch the brake or pedal until the NH tolls. and then the Maine tolls. drove to Gray Maine. farted around in town 8 more miles.

drove back to origin, 2 tollbooths, crusie control at 64mph. again, smooth ride no touching of brakes or gas. average for entire trip 23 mpg +. drove
the rest of the tank down to 10 miles left before empty and it stayed at 23mpg.

so it is doable. in fact I have done even better. (but 28 is just not possible in US gallons)

I run mobil 1 oil, and toyota dealer supplied juice in my diffs and transaxle and tranny, and toyota grease on the propellor

I think the 40psi has a lot to do with it

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 01-28-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:34 PM

BigBallsMcFalls that's awesome mpg you got on that trip. but that was all in ideal situations such as weather, right gas, cruise control 97% of the time and psi. But 23 mpg isn't something you consistently get every fill up right?

Which goes back to my point. I can somewhat believe 23mpg in a total ideal situations but let's face whoever drives their 4runner on a daily basis is doing alot of stop and go, also many cold starts and warm ups therefore 23mpg on an avg daily basis just can't be possibly especially for those of us in subzero temps.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:13 PM

28 ha ha ha. I once got 23mpg with two people and a trunk full of stuff coming home from college. Trick is fill your near bald Goodyear forteras to like 40psi, drive only on the concrete portion of I-10 through southwest TX in the cool dry night air, at 70mph, with no traffic, and not stopping till you have to fill up again.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:35 PM

This reminds me of a funny prank that may be relevant here. So the guy was tracking his gas milage but his friends kept putting in a little gas every day so that he never ran low and was amazed when he got 50 mpg!!! haha Any of your friends pranksters?
Old 01-29-2009, 01:08 AM

I don't know why you have to get one here and say it's not possible. Maybe not in your truck and I don't even know why the guys with the 3.0 are chiming in. They don't have a 3rd gen. I know my best friend said he gained about 3-4mpg when he went from his 91 to his 96.

Anyways, I have a 3.4 and the only mod is the TRD air filter. It's a 5 speed, 4x4 with 4.10 gears. I have gotten 23-25 mpg driving down to Houston TX from here. I get between 18-20 in town and 20-21 typical on the interstate at 75. On the highway between 55-65 mph I get 25-26mpg or so. I got over 25mpg, I don't remember off the top of my head, driving with my 4x4 on at 45-50 across Colorado and Kansas.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:56 AM

--->3.4 eh ?

I have gotten 23-25 mpg driving down to Houston TX from here.

--->maybe on a good day, just maybe. but doubtful

I get between 18-20 in town and 20-21 typical on the interstate at 75.

--->I believe this.

On the highway between 55-65 miles per hour I get 25-26mpg or so.

--->No, no you aren't.

I got over 25mpg, I don't remember off the top of my head, driving with my 4x4 on at 45-50 across Colorado and Kansas.

--->No, you didn't.

--->the only way you are going to convince anyone of these numbers is attaching
an OBD-II computer to your vehicle and then driving, and then posting the numbers. Because the ECU does not lie. and your stated numbers are physically impossible unless you have more modifications than you claim, and have lightened up the vehicle by 500 lbs... so, I am calling u out. I do drive my 5vz hooked up to computer analysis 24x7, so it's gonna be tough to BS. even using all the hypermiler tricks like coasting and driving like a douche, slow from stops signs and lights, and finding the sweet spot between rpms, throttle position, and timing advance and gear I am in, your numbers just don't add up. I might believe it if you are using 85 octane or lower. 87 is the lowest
a 5vz can use. 85 might get you more mpg, but at the expense of engine life and performance from knock retard

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 01-29-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
Maybe he just rebuilt the engine?
Rebuild a 3.4?? Are you serious?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

My mom commutes almost all highway at 60-75mph and was seeing 23mpg in her stock '99 Limited and she's real anal about her MPG tracking but without the commuting and regular around town driving she sees a consistent 18-19mpg.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by jrb23
BigBallsMcFalls that's awesome mpg you got on that trip. but that was all in ideal situations such as weather, right gas, cruise control 97% of the time and psi. But 23 mpg isn't something you consistently get every fill up right?

Which goes back to my point. I can somewhat believe 23mpg in a total ideal situations but let's face whoever drives their 4runner on a daily basis is doing alot of stop and go, also many cold starts and warm ups therefore 23mpg on an avg daily basis just can't be possibly especially for those of us in subzero temps.
right. i get 23mpg on one or two really good days when the weather is right, tires are aired, summer gas, and i am in no rush.

what reality is, normal is -above 19- let just say that....and above 15 when doing a lot of 4 mile stop and go stuff....

oh and hell no, not in subzero temps, the gas you buy has less energy content in the first place. it has built in ice control
(alcohols) which drop energy content. so right away your MPG goes down. then there is the fact that engines don't
work that well when cold. the only reason you can start a modern car and drive away immediately on a bone-chilling day is the
extensive computer control and engine management systems which make an engine that wants to die keep running. remember
the days of carbs and manual chokes ? the same crap is going on, but it is managed with fuel injection and timing and warm throttle bodies...that doesn't change the fact that a cold engine eats more gas until it is fully warmed up

yeah. real world. days with a lot of short trips 15-17mpg
a few road trips, maybe 20

all highway, maybe 23. on a good day. never 28. ever *(unless you draft traffic in front of you)

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 01-29-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:49 PM

Like I said in a previous post, it looks like he's from Canada using the Imperial MPG's which works out to 28mpg or 23.3 US mpg. This is why he stated 28 mpg.

Mike.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:10 PM

yes vudbster, but like he said a little later in the thread was miles per gallon. i guess he is not so clear if u.s. or imperial. he also later said 25-28 mpg which is backpeddling a bit. i have a 99 4runner 100% stock except for 265/75/16. stock was 70 series tires. my tires are dunlop at's i think, and look like a formula one tire as there are no tread blocks, just solid lines going all the way around( almost bald in other words ) and around 38-40 psi. my mileage for the past 3 months has been between 13.5 worst, to 16.8 best. i posted this info with exact gallons, in u.s. of coarse, miles travled, and mpg for 6 or 7 full tanks of gas on another thread somwhere. i would guess about 65-70% is street rest is hwy. i dont want to pile on too much, but my truck is running perfectly with 96,000 miles at least as far as i can tell, and i just cant swallow 28 mpg when i cant come close to breaking 20mpg. and i actually try to get the good miles not a led foot. oh yeah- 99 4runner-3.4-auto-2wd. thats right 2 wheel drive, and i have nothing inside. its maybe 50lbs heavier than the dealer sold it, oh well go figure.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its possible I'm sure. i got 27mpg in my 22RE 5spd 4Runner. Yes, two less cyl., and 5spd., but, it was loaded down with camping, fishing and recovery gear totalling maybe 350lbs. Second gens are also heavier are they not?
Old 01-31-2009, 07:02 PM

It's easy to get better mileage. Just put smaller wheels and tires on and the odometer will rack up more mileage per tank. You'll be driving slower as well HAHA
Old 01-31-2009, 09:19 PM

Well if you have a problem with the mileage I reported I don't know what to tell you. Yes I was not using an ODBII computer cause, will I have better things to do but I did notice I was getting a lot of miles on the odometer so when I filled up I calculated the mileage.

My rig seems to do real will on mileage below 65ish or so and no stops. It seems at that speed is really where the areodynamics come into play. Like I was saying about driving with the 4x4 on. It was across east Colorado and west Kansas, so totaly flat and the highways were kinda clear even though they weren't open.

I don't know what the deal is with the trip to Houston. I have driven my 4runner, F-150, Sentra and I think I've driven another car and they always seem to get an extra mile per gallon or two. I haven't figured that out.

Last edited by pkt1213; 01-31-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:33 AM

I don't believe any claims over 24MPG for a Limited 4WD 4Runner. Maybe on a good day on the highway it might be possible with a tailwind, but beyond that it's a pipe dream. (crack pipe dream)

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/w...runners-86034/
Old 02-01-2009, 05:53 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
I don't believe any claims over 24MPG for a 96-2002 Limited 4WD 4Runner
I clarified your post a bit. I had an 00 and it was lucky to get 14-15 mpg when I bought it stock. Claims of 10+ mpg greater is a denial of basic common sense and physics. Perhaps with large tailwind for a very short distance or riding on the back of a flatbed trailer...otherwise you are dreaming/can't do math.

I don't think anyone has a "problem" with you per se, but I bet we all have a friend who tells the same sasquatch stories.

Now 2003+ 4Runners is a different story. My wife's 07 2WD gets 25 mpg but her daily routine consists of a 12 mile round trip on the highway with no stops.

Quick Reply: Record breaking mileage on my 3rd gen