Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Recommended grease for inner joint on front axle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recommended grease for inner joint on front axle?

FSM calls for a "yellow grease" for the inner joint (tripod w needle bearings)
and "black grease" probably moly for the outer joint (regular CV joint).
Does anyone have a "favorite" grease for these inner joints? I've always used
Mobil 1 synth grease for this type joint in the cars but i'm not sure about the Tacoma.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich's Toy
FSM calls for a "yellow grease" for the inner joint (tripod w needle bearings)
and "black grease" probably moly for the outer joint (regular CV joint).
Does anyone have a "favorite" grease for these inner joints? I've always used
Mobil 1 synth grease for this type joint in the cars but i'm not sure about the Tacoma.
Did you get this worked out? I need some inner CV grease for my '99 4Runner (some leaked out, long story), and the only way to get it from Toyota is to buy the whole CV boot kit. I was thinking of using Amsoil 2000 racing grease, but I don't know if it's compatible. What kind of grease is it?
Old 09-30-2012, 05:14 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm pretty sure the theory behind using "yellow" grease for the inner joint and "black" grease for the outer joint is because of the difference in bearing design. The inner(tripod) joint uses anti-friction bearings(pin rollers in cylindrical races) and semi-friction bearings(outer races in tripod housing). And the outer(birfield) joint uses semi-friction bearings(balls in deep groove races).

So what's the difference between "yellow" and "black" grease, and/or how does it apply?

Typically, "black" grease is a Moly/Graph(Molybdenum/Graphite) fortified EP(Extreme Pressure) grease. Which isn't necessarily "black", but usually more of a medium to dark grey. And may contain just moly, graph, or both. But in general "black" grease is "Moly" grease(since molybdenum disulfide is black). It's generally best suited for friction(or semi-friction) type bearings. But can be used as a MP(Multi-Purpose) grease.

"Yellow" grease is, typically, a High-Temp EP Disc Brake Wheel Bearing grease. Which isn't always "yellow"(and can in fact be any color, but is usually a color and almost never "black", grey, or white, and not all "yellow" grease is suited for disc brake wheel bearings). It may also have Moly("red moly" not molybdenum disulfide) in it, but generally not Graph. It's almost always tackier, and good to significantly higher temperatures, than typical "black"(Moly/Graph) grease. And is best suited for disc brake wheel bearings specifically, and any EP anti-friction bearings in general. But it can also be used as a MP grease.

So, you can use pretty much any EP grease for either type of CV joint if you wanted to. Or just use one type for both(see below). It's not bound to make that much difference. It's all good grease for CVs, if it's EP grease...IMO. You'll also find that just about any(if not all) EP grease says it can be used for CV joints on the label, regardless of color(and/or constituents).

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-01-2012 at 06:08 AM.