Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear PP springs not sitting right.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear PP springs not sitting right.

I noticed that my 4Runner is not sitting level in the back. When I changed the oil yesterday, I noticed that the right rear spring is not sitting on its seat correctly. The end of the spring is not in its "L" seat. This is causing the right side to sit higher than the left side. Just in the rear, the front is level.

All I need to do is rotate the spring so it is sitting correctly, but what do I do? I didn't install the springs, so I am thinking that I just lift up the rear end so there is no weight on the suspension, and rotate it. Is that correct?

Last edited by SLC Punk; 04-01-2004 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Yep, just jack up the backend from the frame (receiver hitch, if you have one) until most of the weight of off of the axle, then it should be easy enough to get it repositioned. If it is really stubborn, then you may have to disconnect the shock and sway bar endlink on that side to get a little more droop.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Jayson.

I found a hi-lift jack at my parents house that my dad had for our 1978 F-250 to use when we had the camper on it. I am going to put that under the hitch and lift it from there.

Old 04-01-2004, 01:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
trav,

i think i have the same problem. gonna check later today. thanks for the fix, jayson!

bob
Old 04-01-2004, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

I forgot to mention that you should chock-block the front wheels when lifting the back. Be careful...
Old 04-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
trav,

i think i have the same problem. gonna check later today. thanks for the fix, jayson!

bob
I have heard (sshaffler) that the PP springs don't sit level. But mine have been level up until a few months ago. The side that isn't sitting right is up a tad bit higher, which would make sense, since it is not in its seat properly.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

I had trouble with my PP rear coils as well. My right rear coil would always back out of the L-Seat. It also rattled a lot and I noticed that neither coil was shaped quite right to fit in the bottom coil "cup".

I replaced mine with Downeys and just noticed last week that the right rear coil has moved out of the L - Seat a bit.

Anyone ever use Tie Wraps or anything like that on the bottom to try to hold the rear coils in place?????
Old 04-01-2004, 01:46 PM
Away

I've NEVER had a problem with any of the coils that I have doing that. Are you guys using the upper spring isolators? Or do you have metal-metal contact on the top spring perches?

One thing you can try is to get some heavy-duty PVC shower pan liner from Lowe's or Home Depot. It is grey or black and in the plumbing section. It's really thick material and sold by the linear foot. Anyway, get some of that and make some "donuts", two per side. Stack two donuts together and put them on top of the springs. This will make a nice cushion and stop the metal-metal contact which will probably help with your springs from moving around back there.

Peace.
G
Old 04-01-2004, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by SLC Punk
Thanks Jayson.
I found a hi-lift jack at my parents house that my dad had for our 1978 F-250 to use when we had the camper on it. I am going to put that under the hitch and lift it from there.
Watch out using a hi-lift on the hitch. Hi-lifts aren't stable side-to side, once you get your tires off the ground it will probably shift to one side and fall back to the ground.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Zhivago
One thing you can try is to get some heavy-duty PVC shower pan liner from Lowe's or Home Depot. It is grey or black and in the plumbing section. It's really thick material and sold by the linear foot. Anyway, get some of that and make some "donuts", two per side. Stack two donuts together and put them on top of the springs. This will make a nice cushion and stop the metal-metal contact which will probably help with your springs from moving around back there.

Peace.
G
Or get the cone bumpstops if you don't have them. They do the same thing.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
Watch out using a hi-lift on the hitch. Hi-lifts aren't stable side-to side, once you get your tires off the ground it will probably shift to one side and fall back to the ground.
Ok thanks. I am hoping that my jack stands will be tall enough so I can support it with that.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Zhivago
I've NEVER had a problem with any of the coils that I have doing that. Are you guys using the upper spring isolators? Or do you have metal-metal contact on the top spring perches?

Peace.
G
I don't have the cone bumpstops on mine. Maybe that's why they shifted.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

I have the stock center isolator cones and they still shifted.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:54 PM

I went to the dealer and they gave me the bumpstops for free because there was a recall on the rear stock suspension.
I usually jack each side up with the highlift and the put a jackstand on the frame in front of the wheel, doesn't have to be as high there.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
I went to the dealer and they gave me the bumpstops for free because there was a recall on the rear stock suspension.
I usually jack each side up with the highlift and the put a jackstand on the frame in front of the wheel, doesn't have to be as high there.
Really? The local dealership parts guy knows me by a first name basis, maybe he will hook me up! Does it give you a .00001" lift too?
Old 04-01-2004, 01:59 PM

It gives you around an extra 1/4" of lift.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone had a problem with the FRONT PP springs not sitting level? I am off .25" from side to side. I always understood that H&R's QC was very good whereas companies like Eibach just spit them out without testing spring rate lbs/sq.in.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

The problem is that H&R / PP does not differentiate between driver's and passenger sides. The coils for both front sides are the same length.

So, the driver's side front should be lower with a full to 1/2 tank of gas.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ALBPM
The problem is that H&R / PP does not differentiate between driver's and passenger sides. The coils for both front sides are the same length.

So, the driver's side front should be lower with a full to 1/2 tank of gas.
REALLY

The FRONT left side of the vehicle would rest lower with a full tank of gas ... instead of the rear left side? I don't get it.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Away

Peter, an easy way (sort of) to fix the height differential would be to install an additional upper spring isolator in the driver's side strut assembly. That would give you about .25-.375" more height. I'd use one a Polyurethane one from either Daystar or Energy Suspension and put it between the stock rubber isolator and the upper spring perch. You'll have to pull the assembly off the truck, compress the spring and remove the upper spring perch to install it, which is why I said it was "sort of" an easy fix. Still, if you lived near me, we could do it in about 30-40 minutes tops.

At least it's cheap. The Poly isolators are like, $18/pair or so.

Hope this helps.
G

Quick Reply: Rear PP springs not sitting right.