Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear Diff Breather Mod- Good Times

Old 07-28-2003, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Diff Breather Mod- Good Times

Good Times,
I saw the link and blurb about the rear diff breather mod (RDBM) in the "lift and foglights" thread. Thought I should start a new thread so I wouldn't confuse that thread.

That was the first I've heard of the RDBM. Do stream crossings really damage the rear diff? I've gone through a couple so... do I need to have that looked at?

Does the end plug need to sit right next to the gas filler? Could it be a bit shorter and "hidden" behind the rubber filler gasket instead of removing the gasket--to get a more "stock" look or is there a reason it needs to be that way?

Anyway, great post. I think you may have given me a few more years on the rear diff!
Old 07-28-2003, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

The diff mod is used just for precautionary purposes. If you are axle deep water for along time, eventually water will seep into the diff which is a big "no-no". Hence the reason why alot of members here and other members elsewhere recommend this mod. but if you're only in water momentarily, its a no biggie.

The key is to relocate the actual breather to a higher level. The higher the better - hence the gas cap. Figure by the time the water goes that high, you're screwed but anywhere near that area is fine. Including just behind the gasket of the gas cap too!

In socal, i doubt anyone of us will have to use this mod but i figure what the hell, why not hehe you just never know right? also another note. make sure that you don't have too much slack on the hose where you can get pockets of air. I've read stuff about the oil gettin clogged in pockets of air causing the rear diff seal to break so make sure that you have a clean line going straight up. Abit hard to explain but i know you'll figure this one out. If not, I know someone will be able to explain it better than me!

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showth...=&threadid=123
Did a short write up on that site.. (since it was new and nobody has any info on that one...) yt has lots here so ! hehe

lance
Old 07-28-2003, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Here is my write-up, you will notice my breather is behing the filler surround for the stock appearance.

http://www.top4runners.com/ja/perf.html#breathers
Old 07-28-2003, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

I just put mine behind the gas filler plate as well. I didn't bother to get the threaded adapter, I just cleaned off the old breather, pulled the cap off, and clamped the hose to it.