Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rattle in the front passenger floor board

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rattle in the front passenger floor board

I have a 2000 Limited 4Runner 4WD and I have an annoying rattle from the front pass. floor board. It is more of a clunk than a rattle. You can only hear it when you hit bumps. It makes the noise at any speed and it doesnt stop when you hit the brakes. I replaced the pads rotors shoes, shocks, springs, endlinks and swaybar bushings all the way around so it is none of those things. The exhaust feels tight and the tranny mount seem solid. What am I missing here?
The following users liked this post:
Pom85627 (10-22-2018)
Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey have u checked to see if your dust shields ar tight and pushed back enough so that they dont come into contact with the rotors
Old 08-17-2009, 08:58 AM

check everything that moves. grease yo shafts son
Old 08-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

heat shield? I lost a bolt in 2 of mine and they each rattled mainly on acceleration.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:46 AM

It is not a heat sheild. When I hit bumps, it make a clunking type noise like as if my tranny mount feel off. It's pretty bad. On a side note the 99 coils gave me 1.5" of lift. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:21 PM

ball joint? Funny thing, my '02 Tacoma "clunks" at a turn hitting a bump and my '02 Runner "rattles" upon acceleration. Can't figure out the rattle either.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:28 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
tighten top shock mount,mine did that, was a tad loose.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:26 PM

Tested the ball joints while I had it on the lift and no issues. The top mount is tight for sure, used the impact while it was on the spring compressor. I am at a loss guys.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:49 PM

I had a rattle like a actual rattle and then I figured out it was a box of CCI CB shorts I was using for squirrel hunting last week haha.Wish I could help bro, Im curious to see what it is similar problem on our tahoe.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:46 PM

If you haven't yet, get a buddy and lay under your truck w/ a flashlight and have him grab the roof rack or the bumper and shake the hell out of the truck. Open up a door and have him stand on the door jam and jump so the truck goes up and down. Have him go around to each tire (front and rear), put his foot on the top of the tire and try to wobble the truck with the pressure of his foot. All while you look and listen. Look closely at the rear too, sometimes sound can reflect and it will seem like it's coming from somewhere it's not.

I had a clunk/rattle that was so bad I stopped going off road altogether for like 2 months because I thought my front end was going to fall apart or lose a tire or something. Everything was tight and looked safe though, so I just could not figure it out. It turned out that my window washer fluid reservoir broke 2 of 3 screw tabs and was flopping around w/ a gallon of fluid in it. I just happened to hit it w/ a wrench while I was under my truck and WALLA! I was so freakin happy!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:04 PM

Could it be the control arm bushings going out? On my old ZJ the bushings were worn and caused a clunk every time I hit a bump.

- Matt
Old 09-07-2009, 01:06 AM

subscribed! I think I have the same problem. I even took apart the whole dash to try and track it down. I came back from an off roading trip this weekend and noticed it really badly, even on the freeways where it's pretty rough. The noise does not change if the glove box is closed or open. It really does seem like it's coming from either front passenger floorboard or right behind the dashboard. I'm going to go driving with someone so I can move around and hear it better. It's driving me insane!
Old 09-09-2009, 05:11 PM

I thought I found the problem today but it is still there. Where the coolant lines come back inside for the rear heat, there is a metal sheild to protect the rubber lines. Well there was a big rock stuck in there and it was rattling around when I hit it. But my big rattle is still there. I am almost tempted to take it to Toyota for them to fix it..
Old 09-09-2009, 05:22 PM

I FOUND IT! (at least what was causing my issue). It would be the second 4Runner that I've had with this problem.

I'll do a write up this evening and post it up here.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by TOPSECRETTUNDRA
It is not a heat sheild. When I hit bumps, it make a clunking type noise like as if my tranny mount feel off. It's pretty bad. On a side note the 99 coils gave me 1.5" of lift. Thanks for the help guys.
So you just installed the lift? No noise before now noise?

If this is true, check all bolts/parts dealing with the lift.

I forgot the bottom rubber bumper on one of my front shocks and caused the type of noise you describe. Check it for play which was only noticable on mine once the spring got broke in a bit (sagged to normal level in about a week).

Good luck.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Goin
So you just installed the lift? No noise before now noise?

If this is true, check all bolts/parts dealing with the lift.

I forgot the bottom rubber bumper on one of my front shocks and caused the type of noise you describe. Check it for play which was only noticable on mine once the spring got broke in a bit (sagged to normal level in about a week).

Good luck.

No it had the rattle before and after the lift. I installed new shocks and springs all the way around, end links front and rear and new sway bar bushings front and rear. For the front, I got all new bushings for the spring assy. and also new top plates. I thought replacing all these parts would fix the rattle.

I read in another post that someone had a similar problem and it turned to be the metal pieces in the rear of the frame. It's hard to explain but the very back of the frame has what it looks to be mini leaf springs in there. Well mine are a little rusted so maybe they are rattling. He solved the problem with some foam. I may try that this weekend.

I absolutely love my 4Runner and I just want to fix the little rattles.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-19-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:56 PM

I have the same kind of rattle whenever hitting a bump. I grabbed everything underneath-no movement. It is a mystery right now as well.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by LockedLex
I FOUND IT! (at least what was causing my issue). It would be the second 4Runner that I've had with this problem.

I'll do a write up this evening and post it up here.

So what was your rattle?
Old 09-14-2009, 11:56 AM

sorry, ugh, got hit w/ some work issues.

So basically it's the bolt that connects the bottom of the antenna motor to the front fender. On my truck, this bolt was loose, making it seems like a noise was coming from the passenger floorboard/kickpanel. Initially it even sounded like it was coming from behing the pass. airbag.

The simple solution was to push away the pass. fender liner until that bolt was visible, then using a socket w/ an extension, tighten it back. The funny thing is that it looks tight, but all it needs is a mm or so of play and it'll make that noise.

The car is a quiet as a vault now, even in the most roughest terrain.