Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Quick Tire Question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Tire Question...

Well I'm going to be getting new tires (Not for the 4Runner, but for my Xterra) hopefully very soon (A guy backed into my rear tire/wheel in a parking lot last week, and scratched up my rim, and he's going to pay for a new rim... So I'm going to put the money towards a new set of tires) I'm planning on getting a set of the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos, and I was just checking out TireRack.com (I think I may have to order the Revos, because I'm not sure of a place near me that has them) and noticed that they show a bunch of different load ratings for them (C, D, E, SL) I'm just wondering what load rating I should buy? There seems to be about a $7 difference between the different load ratings.

So I'm curious as to what load rating I should buy?

Also one more quick question... I'm kind of torn between getting the Revos or BFG A/T KOs. My main concern is having good traction (offroad, on-road, and in wet weather, and occasional snow) and good treadwear. The one thing that's lead me more towards the Revos is that I've heard that the BFGs don't have very good treadwear.

So I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks... Should I go with the BFGs or the Revos? I do a lot of highway and windy mountain road driving, but I also really like going out to the desert, so I'd like a tire that gets good offroad traction (and from what I've heard both get good offroad traction, so that's a toss up)

Anyway I'm open to anyone's opinions and suggestions

-Braden
Old 05-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

get the load rating that best suits how much load you carry. the more load you carry, the higher rating you need. load range C is fine for stock, most 285s are D range, HD pick up trucks run E, etc...

Old 05-08-2003, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by AllOtherNamesTakenSo
get the load rating that best suits how much load you carry. the more load you carry, the higher rating you need. load range C is fine for stock, most 285s are D range, HD pick up trucks run E, etc...

What he said regarding what load rating to buy.

And as for BFG AT vs. Dueler AT Revo, go Revo. Overall, I'm disappointed with the BFG AT's, it's all hype in my opinion. I've always preferred Bridgestone & now that I've tried BFG my preference remains unchanged. I'll try something new or go back to Bridgestone when these are done (or sold).
Old 05-08-2003, 10:09 PM

Get the Revos. I have a set and I love them. I got the D rated ones for my runner because I sometimes put a lot of weight in the back. (P.A. gear and guitar amps). The tires are excellent for everyday driving and they grip like mad in the rain and the snow. Ive only used them in the dirt once so far (had them for 2 months) and they worked real well. THey arent muds so don't be suprised if they get a bit slippery on you there. I can't say whether they are better than bfg's but they absolutely blow away my last set of michelin LTX MS.

The only complaints about the revos I have is that they pick up evey damn pebble on the road. I am constantly pulling pebbles out of the tread.

I got mine at a local small tire shop and they matched tirerack for me. I think i got out of there $155 a tire, mounted and balanced. Pretty good I think.

Oh yeah they look great and are much more aggressive looking than I thought they would once they were on the runner.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:22 AM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got these Nitto Grapplers a few weeks back and so far love them, they do have really good rattings and look alot more aggressive check out their web site. I haven't had much time to try in anything but rain since thats seems to be all we have lately and they stick real well and are quite.
Heres what they look like on my runner.
http://community.webshots.com/album/70137657vJaXKM
Good luck on ur tire journey
Old 05-09-2003, 06:16 AM

The BFG AT KO is the most aggressive All-Terrain you can buy. I got over 50k out of the old style and my brother is sitting at 40k with some life left in them.

My folks just put Revo's on their Sequoia. Good looking, smooth riding tire. It performs well in the rain and decent in the snow. I have not had a chance to wheel it, but drving through our fields they are not like drag slicks.

If you want an aggressive AT, get the BFG's. If you want a road tire that can be used off-road, get the Revo's.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:25 AM

I mounted Goodyear MT/R's on my truck. Folks who have owned BFG AT's and now have MT/R's told me they rode better on the street and were quieter. I've also heard a lot of negative comments as to the strength of the sidewalls on BFG tires in general which I had always thought was their strongpoint.

To get to your original questin - Revo's if those are your 2 choices.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

You might want to consider the Dunlop Radial Rover AT, as well. You can probably find them at a local shop for under $90 ea. Great all-around tire with good tread-wear. If you plan on driving in rain or slush then stay away from the BFG AT's.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:59 AM

Thanks everybody for your help, I've decided that I'm going to get the Revos. Now I need to do a little shopping around town to see if any of the local tire places carry the Revos, or can order them for me. But if I don't have any luck I'm going to order from Tirerack.

Thanks again for all the help and hopefully I'll have pictures of my new tires soon

-Braden