Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Quick question... help plz.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question... help plz.

I see a Craigslist post and i think i have a chance but want to double check.

I have a 98 limited auto 4x4 lockers stock 160k miles and the motor is skipping. Have to pay a shop to look into the motor for me and I dont want to do that. Cost more than the vehicle is worth.

I found this post

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 manual 4x4 with 214k. Rear differential is shot and will cost more than the vehicle is worth, but is in otherwise good condition. Will be best for parts or someone with facilities for a cheap repair.

Engine, transmission, sheet metal, airbag, and interior still in very good condition.

Asking $1000 OBO

So I have a friend who has a garage and some tools. I'm thinking I could ask him to help me with swapping the rear end. Then try use that skipping motor / shot rear end as a yard truck to plow this winter. I have a plow setup sitting on a 95 tacoma with rusted out frame.

Anyways, is this doable to take the rear end out of my limited (auto) and put into that sr5 (manual)?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2014, 05:25 PM

Just found my answer in the search.

I would have to switch the front diff aswell and in the post said it looks like a easy job but really a pita.

So i got thinking, why not swap the motor. Then use the standard with shot rear end and skipping motor as yard truck / plow.

/closethread
Old 11-15-2014, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It doesn't make sense, to replace your 160k motor with a 214k motor. You could be going from bad to worse. Your current truck, in good running condition, likely worth around 7k. It would be worth it to get diagnosed, at least. It might not need a whole new motor.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:46 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

For $1000 I would drive to Maine and buy that just for parts
Old 11-15-2014, 06:21 PM

Around here in Maine my 4runner is worth 2000. All three mechanics said i need to spend the dough to look into the motor. I don't want to. I'm not going to spend couple grands or more into the motor.

many and i are stumped. I’ve seen many 4runners go for 260+ and still not burn oil. I’ve been a very happy owner since i registered here (when i bought the 4runner). It treated me real good all the way through college. Feels like it’s barely just broken in.

You're right, maybe don't do the motor swap... I have another brain storm idea that i want to share and I haven't done research yet. Before i share that, look at what i just pulled in the drive way.

Quick question... help plz.-ssoc3rv.jpg
Quick question... help plz.-9kdnqmc.jpg

800 bucks

She’s got rust on front/rear bumper. No biggie I could swap the bumpers or order plastic front/rear for around 300 bucks. Umm, the guy described it on Craigslist as the rear end is completely shot / no good. However it really isn’t. I drove it home no problem lol. It drove really nice actually. Feels tight and shifts great for a standard. I kind of love it already! Definitely feels different than the auto 4runner's. Plus they are hard to find... so i think i scored good here.

So about the rear end… you can see it’s wet and it is just leaking because of the holes caused by rust. For now keep it’s just a matter of checking it and adding fluid lol. There’s a 95 Tacoma sitting in the garage that was originally supposed to be a yard truck for this winter. During the project, we found out the frame is ˟˟˟˟. Not worth using to plow with. I figured I could use that rear end for the 4runner…. What do you think? Both vehicles are standard and I believe the 4runner has 6 cycl when the Taco has 4cycl. I’ll do some research on that and keep brain storming. If the it’s doable.... Tada…. A daily driver with standard and a yard truck with skipping motor + plow

Last edited by bvet4dog; 11-15-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Why go to all that work.

Cause the gear ratios are more then likely different.

Just fix the rusted out housing .

In a weight saving measure Toyota went real thin with the metal in that area.

In any case it is your project have fun