Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Questions about my 4Runner

Old 01-19-2005, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about my 4Runner

Hey guys,
Been a while since I have been on here cuz we were moving. We are now officially Zonies.

I have a couple of questions about my Runner that I would like to ask...

1) I (think) and am pretty sure I need a new starter. Where should I got to get it and is it hard to install? My husband isn't very mechanically handy so it needs to be easy enough for an electrical engineer to do. (no offense to the EE's on the board you are probably a lot different then my husband LOL)

2) I should get a tune up and was wondering if I should take it to a Toyota dealer or if any of you other Zonies know of a reputable place I am all ears.

3) I have an oil leak somewhere... my dad said it was probably the pan. Is that hard to fix?

4)The engine sounds a little out of tune (the reason for the tune up) sounds kinda rough. Got any suggestions.

The reason I am asking all of these questions is because I want to take care of my truck so it runs forever (or at least for another 10 years ) cuz my husband nuked his car on the way over here from Cali. Threw a rod through the block so the car is toast. I will not let that happen to my baby!!!!

And last but not least...

5) How are ya'll doing??!!!!!

Thanks a million for any suggestions or comments!!

YorkieMomma,
AKA Roni
Old 01-19-2005, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What makes you think you need a new starter -- what's it doing? Talk to people and see who they go to for service, especially Yota work. Most here, including myself, don't call dealerships "stealerships" for nothing. As for the oil leak, it could be from most anywhere. Try to trace it from the lowest point up to the source. If your engine is really dirty, it may need to be cleaned in order to find the leak. Also, how long since your last tune-up?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

Well the reason I think it is the starter is because when I go out to start it the accessories and everything go on but it doesn't start. Doesn't turn over, nothing. The battery is ok, had that checked, same with the alternator. I went out the other day and tried to start it and it wouldn't start so i turned off the key let everything "wind down" then tried again and it started. Then I went to go check my mail shut it off, got out checked the mail, got back in,tried to start it and nothing again. Then I shut everything off tried again and she started. I then went to the drug store shut it off went inside came back outside and it started fine. I really have no clue, that is why I thought it might be the starter.

YM

Last edited by YorkieMomma; 01-19-2005 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's the starter contacts or possibly a loose wiring connection on the starter. Might possibly be a loose or corroded ground on the battery. Do a search for more info...
Old 01-19-2005, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Check all connections between starter and batt.

Also many a true word is spoken in jest, I would not let an electical engineer touch wire one in my truck. One of my EE buddies tried to do some wiring on his cruiser, it did not come out good. My mech engineer bud tried doing some mechanical work on his truck, again same result not good.

Before I get flamed there may be some good e-engineers out there, but there is a certain irony in what I have observed with engineers. I work with them daily, and they probably think the same of scientists like myself. professional competition and challenge is fun, keeps everyone on their toes!

Oh yeah, do you have an alarm? mine does and sometimes after unlocking if I don't start the truck right away it won't start, I have to turn the truck to "off", push the alarm button again, then it will start. Just a thought
Old 01-19-2005, 11:27 AM

Most engineers are not "hands on" and are theory driven. I am a EE , but I grewup working on cars/boats/snowmobiles/motorcycles/houses so I am pretty hands on. I am in sales now and have to deal with engineers, they come up with the most non practical ideas on the planet where simple logic would conclude that it wouldn't work...