Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

pro comp susp. lift on 2nd Gen. PRO vs. CON

Old 09-16-2003, 11:23 AM
tdv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pro comp susp. lift on 2nd Gen. PRO vs. CON

i was just wonder what you guys thought of the pro comp 4" suspension lift for a 2nd generation 4runner. does anyone have one? would you recommend it?

thanks
Old 09-16-2003, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are your goals?

What size tire are you looking to run?

You will not be increasing wheel travel and be making the truck around 3" taller than it needs to be plus shelling out $800 more than you need to.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:45 PM

I have the Pro Comp stage two in my 90 runner 2dr 4cyl and I've had no real problems with it . It was fairly easey to put in I' m going two put in lower profile bump stops though and I ditched the limiting straps they were two limiting and the finish hasn't lasted that long.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:01 PM

Well... recently I was very very interested in getting an IFS lift for my runner (A 91)... but after i researched on it quite a bit, i kinda found that it isnt a good idea.... but it also depends if it is for offroad, or for looks...

There have been an unbelievable amount of discussions/arguments over the topic, and it does really all come down to personal preference.. with every type of lift you run into problems...

Body Lift .. Your frame sticks out, no ground clearence gained etc etc.. BUT, you can fit bigger tires and keep your stock truck, which is a good cheap and easy lift. It still looks good and lets you fit those bigger tires on...and there is nothing wrong with getting a 2" BL now (Get it from Roger Brown.. search for "4crawler" on 4x4wire.com message boards, he makes it) and fitting 33's.. then deciding on a 4" Suspension lift later and fitting 35's with your BL and IFS lift..

IFS Lift... Sure you get 4", it looks awesome and you can fit big rubbers on there... but from my recent research on this type of lift they arent exactly all that strong. I read it on 4x4wire.com in the toyota forum (If you do a search for Pro Comp lift or Trailmaster Lift tons will come up) Many people have had their crossmembers break/bend/twist because of something as little as hitting a rock offroad. if you are looking for something to climb rocks and do some serious wheeling I dont think this is the lift you should go with... but that is my personal preference...

About 1 week ago if you asked me about it I woulda said "get it cause Im gettin an IFS lift too"... but since i read up on it I kinda turned away from it. A good thing about the lift is that it is suspension, and it lifts all your parts (Except for your diff, which it drops 4")...

But from what i read, the superlift and skyjacker lift are the best/strongest to go with.. because of the stronger material used to make the crossmember. If you look on Ebay someone is selling a Superlift for $300 for a 2nd gen runner...

Anyways, I am nearly done with looking for an IFS lift, too much risk involved for such a complex front lift... but if you're looking for keeping it on the street im sure its your best bet (Looks wise)... and if you shop around you can find some pretty cheap IFS lifts there from people that are doing a SAS, between $200 and $600...

SAS: This is what everyone says if you are considering an IFS lift... do the SAS, do the SAS... when in reality it costs about 2 times more to do a SAS, get tires, get gears, get a lift etc etc... unless of course you get a really expensive IFS lift, and if you are spending upwards of $1500 (I think thats how much a SAS usually costs)... might as well get a solid axle in there and look for a cheap lift for it.

In my mind there is really no Con for a SAS.. other than the cost. But if you can weld, and you know your s*** about trucks...Im sure youll save plenty of cash and get a lift for the cost of someone to professionally install it.

BL/Coil Spacer/T Bar Lift: Well... this was my original plan, and this looks to be what im going back to doing. Im kinda glad right now that I didnt go with the IFS, cause for much cheaper (Without getting new coils and T Bars) I can fit 33's no prob...

http://www.geocities.com/monicab1201/selection.html

That is what this lady did ^

Apparently she wheels it pretty hard too, and nothin has gone wrong so far.... anyways i want mine to look like that

The problem with this, and thing i still am unsure about is cranking the T bars. I know lots of people do that, but it is causing more wear on your CV's... so therefor you need to get some manny hubs. And aftermarket T Bars arent very cheap.. i got quoted $350 for a pair of SAW's at my local offroad shop

Anyways, as I said before i really does come down to personal preference... whether you offroad or not, every lift has its CONS. Whether its price, durability etc etc... No lift is perfect (Until a Solid Axle is installed)...

But look around, there are many ways to fit bigger tires onto your truck without handing out a lot of cash.

Remember... every lift is good in its own way, and whatever one you get you will still have a bigger rig Just be sure to look around, search the forums and be %100 sure before you get your lift...

good luck,
Dan]

Last edited by toyotadan; 09-16-2003 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:25 PM

Pro Comp sucks! I bought their lift for my 90 4runner a while back. Some of the brackets were welded wrong and a bunch of the hardware was either the wrong size or missing completely. It amazed me that for such an overpriced item, there would be a total lack of quality control. Some people like the Superlift because it has one piece crossmembers as opposed to Procomp which uses the existing crossmembers.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:08 AM

I'm not saying I swear by my pro comp lift all the parts were there the fit was fine the only problem I have is the finish its peeling off and I do bang my cross member alot but have had no problems with it. I wheel my Runner pretty hard we have good areas for wheeling on the Island. Theres probably better kits out there but I was new to wheeling when I bought mine and didn't do any research.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

i have the procomp 4inch lift. i have wheeled it pretty hard sometimes, but if you are gonna do some hardcore stuff, i suggest going all the way with an SAS. the price is definatly no good though. like previously stated, it depends on what you want to do offroad wise.

The problem with this, and thing i still am unsure about is cranking the T bars. I know lots of people do that, but it is causing more wear on your CV's... so therefor you need to get some manny hubs. And aftermarket T Bars arent very cheap.. i got quoted $350 for a pair of SAW's at my local offroad shop
thats pretty high. you can get em for 110 from performance products and put em in yourself.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

oh yeah, toyotadan, you also might wanna pound the fenders a bit if you just plan on cranking the tbars, and running 33s
Old 09-17-2003, 09:37 PM

1" BL, Crank T Bars, Coil Spacers.. no need to pound fenders

.... but if you are just gonna crank em, and get no BL it might be a good idea..
Old 09-17-2003, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

ahh, right on, i just missed that in your post. my apologies
Old 09-17-2003, 09:55 PM

haha no prob... but I did leave out the fact that you could pound your fenders
Old 09-18-2003, 12:03 PM

If you would like to do this:

All you need to do is this:
-80 series rear coils $20
-Low profile front bumpstops $30
-Rancho 5009 shocks $70
-Bilstein front shocks $100
-25mm torsion bars $100 but you don't really need these
-1" bodylift $85
Old 09-18-2003, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

Flygtenstein =

you happen to have sway bar disconnects on that puppy?
Old 09-18-2003, 03:17 PM

I don't even have swaybars.

Used to use Rockstomper in the front and then they broke.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Tom

Originally posted by Flygtenstein
If you would like to do this:

All you need to do is this:
-80 series rear coils $20
-Low profile front bumpstops $30
-Rancho 5009 shocks $70
-Bilstein front shocks $100
-25mm torsion bars $100 but you don't really need these
-1" bodylift $85
No lift??????? other than the body lift and did the 80 series raise the back.

Last edited by Tom; 12-06-2003 at 07:34 PM.