Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

The price of power or just bad luck? Caution: Graphic images!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can see the blue tag at the top of this pic:

Or here's a little better pic:

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-13-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:30 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an A340F on my 96 T100, I think it is something they changed b/c mine has 190k.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow...

So in order to prevent this from happening, I guess the thing to do would be to open up the trans, replace the thrust washers with newer/better units, and send the VB to IPT? From your post it sounds as though the VB mod is completely unrelated to this type of failure.

Does IPT, or anyone for that matter, make stronger/more durable thrust washers?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by QSVeilside
Wow...

So in order to prevent this from happening, I guess the thing to do would be to open up the trans, replace the thrust washers with newer/better units, and send the VB to IPT? From your post it sounds as though the VB mod is completely unrelated to this type of failure.

Does IPT, or anyone for that matter, make stronger/more durable thrust washers?
This form of transmission failure has to do with some sort of difference/weak point in the 01-02 A340F's overdrives. it is unrelated to the shift plates/pressures associated with the VB upgrade, unless the harder shifts help to finish off the overdrive gears.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by KGnagey
my understanding is this is on the A340F trannies. That is what I have on my '02 4runner, not sure about Tacoma's.
i just checked this morning and i have the same one (2002 tacoma 4x4 extra cab)... also it says toyota of california.. does this mean mine was made in cali??? if so would there be any difference if they were made somewhere else bc of the cali emissions??
Old 03-28-2007, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
i just checked this morning and i have the same one (2002 tacoma 4x4 extra cab)... also it says toyota of california.. does this mean mine was made in cali??? if so would there be any difference if they were made somewhere else bc of the cali emissions??
What says "toyota of california"? All our Tacomas are assembled in Ca, but if you look at the tag on the auto tranny mine says:
AISIN, made in Japan, Model No. 30-40LE

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-28-2007 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
What says "toyota of california"? All our Tacomas are assembled in Ca, but if you look at the tag on the auto tranny mine says:
AISIN, made in Japan, Model No. 30-40LE
oh i was just talking about the truck itself made in cali.... anyway, on the door jam i have the same # the other guys were talking about as far as tranny. something like a340f...
Old 03-28-2007, 05:02 AM

I checked the actual tag on the tranny and the model # shows 30-40LE. The door jamb code says A340F. What's the difference? What was the model number on the actual tranny tag on Lee's and other's who have had this problem? Sounds like there is not much that can be done to prevent this from happening so I'll just drive it as I normally do, keep up regular maintenace, and hope for the best.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:22 AM

Time for a manual swap?

Makes me glad I'm under the toyota certified used warranty till 09 and 100K... and the dealer I bought it from does this "Warranty Forever" thing on the powertrain for as long as I own the vehicle. Hopefully this kinda crap is covered.

Last edited by Starbuck3733T; 03-28-2007 at 05:23 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:32 AM

add 1 more to the count

My 2001 started making noise in O/D a few weeks back. I dropped tha pan and found a bunch of metal on the magnets including some larger chunks up to 1/2 inch long that looked like parts of teeth. I cleaned the pan, magnets and filter put in fresh fluid and am driving it with O/D switched off 'til I have time to repair it or $ to have it rebuilt.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
wow what a mess glad i have a 5spd
Old 04-02-2007, 04:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rxcrider
My 2001 started making noise in O/D a few weeks back. I dropped tha pan and found a bunch of metal on the magnets including some larger chunks up to 1/2 inch long that looked like parts of teeth. I cleaned the pan, magnets and filter put in fresh fluid and am driving it with O/D switched off 'til I have time to repair it or $ to have it rebuilt.
Holy cow, if that isn't playing with fire I don't know what is.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:03 AM
Contributing Member

Do you have to switch OD off everytime you restart the engine or will it just stay off?
Old 04-02-2007, 05:06 AM

i have an 02 extra cab tacoma and i use OD all the time. i drive about 30k miles a year and so far with 83k miles no problems (fingers crossed)
Old 04-02-2007, 06:05 AM

Playin' with the O/D switch and a tad bit of fire

Each start up requires that the O/D switch be hit. If you forget, the first time it shifts into 4th will quickly remind you - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

As for the fire, I like playing with fire and I think this is more like a game of hot potato at the moment. The noise issues only occur in 4th (O/D) and the converter locks and unlocks fine in both 3rd and 4th. Actually, it drives fine in 4th aside from the noise, and associated puking of metal bits. I think I've probably caught this early enough to limit the damage. As long as the chutch isn't engaged for 4th, everything is smooth as silk. Anyway, it will clear 100MPH in 3rd with the converter locked, so I might not need a 4 speed. 14 MPG kind of sucks though.

At the moment I'm torn as to how I'd like to proceed. I'm not overly comfortable with the OEM parts / design right now. A rebuild with upgrades from IPT would be nice, but costs the most ($3500ish + freight). As a matter of curiosity, I'd love to take it apart myself ($900ish). Unfortunately I wouldcn't get the upgrades and I'd need to find a free week. A scrap yard tranny is probably my quickest solution and lowest cost ($750ish). I guess I'd still have the original to send off to IPT when the extra funds are around. hmmmmm....
Old 04-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

Each start up requires that the O/D switch be hit. If you forget, the first time it shifts into 4th will quickly remind you - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

As for the fire, I like playing with fire and I think this is more like a game of hot potato at the moment. The noise issues only occur in 4th (O/D) and the converter locks and unlocks fine in both 3rd and 4th. Actually, it drives fine in 4th aside from the noise, and associated puking of metal bits. I think I've probably caught this early enough to limit the damage. As long as the chutch isn't engaged for 4th, everything is smooth as silk. Anyway, it will clear 100MPH in 3rd with the converter locked, so I might not need a 4 speed. 14 MPG kind of sucks though.

At the moment I'm torn as to how I'd like to proceed. I'm not overly comfortable with the OEM parts / design right now. A rebuild with upgrades from IPT would be nice, but costs the most ($3500ish + freight). As a matter of curiosity, I'd love to take it apart myself ($900ish). Unfortunately I wouldcn't get the upgrades and I'd need to find a free week. A scrap yard tranny is probably my quickest solution and lowest cost ($750ish). I guess I'd still have the original to send off to IPT when the extra funds are around. hmmmmm....
I wonder about going the scrap yard route and getting one from before 01 or after 03? Also the Tundra trannys were having this problem much worse (same tranny but V8 engine) and as such many were still under warranty when they failed. So I guess Toyota started putting in a beefier tranny to fix that problem (I'm really not sure on that). Perhaps look into if a newer Tundra tranny would bolt up?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just rebuild it with planetaries from an earlier model.
Mike (Cebby) did something very similar on his tranny swap.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:29 AM

thrust washer location

RandyA, Does the thrust washer that failed in your pictures ride between the ring gear hub and the planetary carrier? The Toyota service manual I downloaded is showing a bearing and two races in that location.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:18 AM

I'm liking my six speed more and more....
Old 04-04-2007, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mark in MD
I'm liking my six speed more and more....
Careful what you wish for, I hear that 6-speed has had failures...

Quick Reply: The price of power or just bad luck? Caution: Graphic images!