Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

PP or Downey

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PP or Downey

Hello,

I am getting serious about eliminating the sagging rear end on my 4 runner....

95 4x4 (3L)

This is my wife's vehicle and it will rarely go offroad...

:cry:

So with this in mind, will the PP 1" Springs be a better option then the downey 1.5's???

Also, If I am not doing to take it offroad, and I am not going to extend the shocks, DO I need to extend the brake line?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-27-2003, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

many people on here have gone with the downeys. i think Cebby went with the PP springs. the downey kit comes with a brake line extension, but im not sure if you have to use it or not. and you dont have to get longer shocks either.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:37 AM

i got a set of the downey and i love them. . they are the HD and yes they come with a brake line and yes you need it installed .. it is a very simple procedure to do .. all that is needed is to bleed lines afterwards.. they dont sag at all now and i have a 12 inch subwoofer and my (road) tools in the back all the time.. along with my compartments filled with other helpful (road) tools..the kit also came with relocation brackets.. it was very easy to install the whole kit but then again i have a lift and all the right tools... oh yea and as many hands as i need at work to give me some help if needed.. all in all well worth the $135 (my price) i paid for them . . ride got a little stiffer but not nothing that the 4runner didnt already need.. no you dont need longer shocks...keyword is need..thats my 50 cent worth ...good luck
Old 01-27-2003, 08:01 AM

Did you steal them...

Hey hillrunner,

Are you sure you didnt steal them... Thats a sweet deal!!

Does any body know the going rate on the downey kit.. I think I saw 150 somewhere...

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-27-2003, 08:27 AM

I'm getting ready to do the same thing. I think I'm going to go with downey, and they say I need longer shocks, Do I or is Downey just saying that??

Has anyone installed the coils with shocks that were on before installation of the coils?

By the way- Downey quoted me at $159 and PP on their website is $199.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

I have the downeys with stock length shocks with no probs. I would not worry about it all especially if your not planning to offroad. The ride is bit stiffer but not bad. You'll notice less body roll on corners. Central 4wd in the vendors section here is selling the kit for $149.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:25 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Stock length

You don't need longer shock unless you perhaps do like Luke did and add the 1.5" spacer puck on top of the coils.
Stock will be fine.
I have never over extended them.

http://www.pnw4runners.net/runs/4602/41024.jpg

http://www.pnw4runners.net/runs/4602/v11024.jpg

Downey just wants to sell you shocks.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

any linkage on where we can get these? Ive been considering getting rid of my sag also
Old 01-27-2003, 02:24 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

You can get the Downey coils from them.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/tech/downey.jpg

Look in our Vendors section where it lists about 50 or so vendors (I lost track) and Downey's banner is in there.

Also Mike on the forum here might be able to help you out.
www.xtremeoff-road.com
Old 01-27-2003, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Stock length

Originally posted by Corey
too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2003, 07:59 PM

Cebby can you chime in about the PP springs and your impressions? I have been considering those for some time as I thought the Downey HD may be too stiff for my mostly street and sand driving. I definately want to go with Bilstein for the shocks and since my 4Runner sits higher in the front than almost every other 2nd gen I've seen I figured 1" would be plenty. Maybe the 1.5" lift of the Downey is what I need.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:50 AM

Eibach makes a pair also. They are not heavy duty and have a lifetime warranty. I had a set on the 90 and 95 I used to have.

http://community.webshots.com/user/aspen810

I sure miss my 90

Last edited by Paul S; 01-28-2003 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:30 AM

Paul S

Hey those were some nice lookin runners......

Did you mean Edelbrock?

Where can you get these springs from?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-28-2003, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

I have recently replaced my rear coils with Downey 3.5's and I love them. I could not be happier. I have paired the downeys with Rancho 9000's. Together they work great as a pair, fyi.

As far as you're concerned Hokie, you don't need the extended shocks as far as I know. Downey does supply an e-brake relocation bracket that will allow the wire to be less stretched, giving it a more natural flow. That is a little plate that is 1/2" by 2.5" and it is just two bolts to connect. Really easy.

Check out Steve Schaefer's site, it is an excellent source for info and he's easy to understand:

SSchaefer:http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/
Old 01-28-2003, 09:55 AM

Re: Stock length

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Corey

I have never over extended them.

http://www.pnw4runners.net/runs/4602/41024.jpg

Corey, when you go to "Full droop" like that, arent you afraid of having a coil just shoot right the heck outta there?? I mean JEES, whats holding em in? Safety straps?
Hehehe, sorry.. had to poke a little fun. The 2nd gens arent real flexy, huh? FYI I just love the Runners you and Joey own. I hope to get mine to that point one day.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:09 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks 1Runner for the comps.

I use duct tape to hold them in JK

Nope, never had a problem with them trying to come out on me.
I hear some have that problem (PhattieD) after also putting in the 1.5" spacer that goes on top of the Downey coil.

Hmmm, I see my pic is not coming up here, nor my website
It's gotta be those two vids I posted earlier this morning in off topic.

Too much bandwidth will shut me down for a tad.

The page is currently unavailable
Due to current high demand, the page you are looking for cannot be delivered right now.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:47 PM

Re: Paul S

Originally posted by Hokiez97
Hey those were some nice lookin runners......

Did you mean Edelbrock?

Where can you get these springs from?

Thanks,

Mike
Thanks. Eibach makes lowering springs and some lift springs. I had a set on the 2nd gen 4runners I had and never had a problem. They only lift the rear an 1.5. I installed 32x1150x15 tires on 8inch wheels. I did not have to adjust the front at all. You will have to check around tire shops on on the web to see who sells them in your area.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Paul S

Originally posted by Paul S
Thanks. Eibach makes lowering springs and some lift springs. I had a set on the 2nd gen 4runners I had and never had a problem. They only lift the rear an 1.5. I installed 32x1150x15 tires on 8inch wheels. I did not have to adjust the front at all. You will have to check around tire shops on on the web to see who sells them in your area.
I've had the PP springs for 4-5 years and I love 'em. I was told they were Eibach by PP way back when. Not sure if it is true or a bunch of hooey. Anyhow, they aren't too stiff, progressive, never harsh and give me enough room for the 32's on stock 15x7 alloys. The total lift has got to be closer to 2" in the rear. I got the Bils when I got the PP coils and have enjoyed the ride ever since. BTW, the Bils are stock length. I noticed better handling as a result, too. I have stock T-Bars and have a very slight tweak on them to even out the front and rear. My ride is firm, but not harsh both on the road and through mild to moderate off-roading. When I wear out my 32's I'm going to try SAW T-Bars and 33's on 15 x 8's. If they rub, I'll add a Roger Brown 1" BL.

Gotta try to do it before the Jamboree!!

I must have missed this post earlier, sorry Victor.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Paul S

Originally posted by Cebby
I have stock T-Bars and have a very slight tweak on them to even out the front and rear.
Have you measured your rim to fender measurements front and back? That would be very helpful. Also - if someone with the Downey's could do the same that would be great. Everyone mentions that their lift seemed closer to 2" but I'm curious where my truck would be.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:01 PM

I got my downeys today. How hard was the install for the doit yourselfer? I heard you can jack up the rear and flex out oneside and the other spring will fall out. Anyone ever used the spring pucks pepboys sells for an extra 1inch of lift?

Quick Reply: PP or Downey