Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Power Steering Leak/Steering Rack

Old 09-17-2008, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Leak/Steering Rack

My power steering pump started the "I'm low on fluid whine and groan tonight so I checked the servicing and it was really low. Filled it up, and looked below at the steering rack, and the drivers side of the rack is soaked in power steering fluid, right below where the steering rod connects to the steering rack. There is a rubber boot that looks like where its leaking from, can this be replaced or am I looking at a entire rack replacement? I've dropped the rack before and have the air tools to do it, just need some advice. Here are some pics. You can see the black rubber boot right below my steering spacer, its oozing power steering fluid.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The rubber boot you see is merely a dust cover. You will need to take the rack out and have it rebuilt or replaced. That seal will need replaced, if not other parts.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
The rubber boot you see is merely a dust cover. You will need to take the rack out and have it rebuilt or replaced. That seal will need replaced, if not other parts.
Man...I didn't wanna hear that. Steering racks are expensive. I'm pretty sure thats where it leaking from couldn't check any of the hoses foward of that because of the skid plate and its dark outside.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:31 PM

Thats an unusual spot for it to fail, but yes as mentioned the rubber boot is just a dust cover. Check the two lines that connect into the rack from the pump, though based on the pics, they probably are not the issue.
For racks I strongly recommend staying away from reman'd racks from places like napa and etc. Sure they are cheaper (not by that much sometimes) and they have a "lifetime" warranty, I will say that it is more of a pain when you have to change faulty ones out 3 times.....Believe me I know..lesson learned, new toyota one in now.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by OSU4Runner
Man...I didn't wanna hear that. Steering racks are expensive. I'm pretty sure thats where it leaking from couldn't check any of the hoses foward of that because of the skid plate and its dark outside.
Oh, let me revise my post then.

"That is merely some chicken fat I poured on there to trick you. Now sell me your truck for $1000"
Old 09-17-2008, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
Thats an unusual spot for it to fail, but yes as mentioned the rubber boot is just a dust cover. Check the two lines that connect into the rack from the pump, though based on the pics, they probably are not the issue.
For racks I strongly recommend staying away from reman'd racks from places like napa and etc. Sure they are cheaper (not by that much sometimes) and they have a "lifetime" warranty, I will say that it is more of a pain when you have to change faulty ones out 3 times.....Believe me I know..lesson learned, new toyota one in now.
The two hard lines towards the center of the rack are dry. Its only soaked on the section, drivers side, there is the one hard line below that dust cover. I'm going to have to clean it all off with some degreaser real well.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:51 PM

Just bought a 96 runner for my wife and it is gushing steering fluid similar to your picture. How did you end up fixing it?
Old 12-19-2008, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by hawaiibake
Just bought a 96 runner for my wife and it is gushing steering fluid similar to your picture. How did you end up fixing it?
Haven't fixed it yet. It's not leaking terribly so I'm not too worried about it. However I do have a state inspection this weekend, and kinda worried they'll say something about it. If they fail me for it I'll probably end up replacing the whole rack unless that seal can be changed.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spray if off with a couple cans of brake cleaner and hit it w/compressed air before you do your inspection...I do not believe you will be able to replace that seal without removing the rack...and I am not sure Toyota even sells that seal and buishing for the rack? maybe,but the seal is leaking because of a bad buishing behind that seal...wears then cuts into seal=leak...Probably best at some point to find a quality remaned rack...Or a toyota one..I think Toyota is now offering remaned ones as well...

Last edited by 97ltd4x4; 12-19-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by 97ltd4x4
Spray if off with a couple cans of brake cleaner and hit it w/compressed air before you do your inspection...I do not believe you will be able to replace that seal without removing the rack...and I am not sure Toyota even sells that seal and buishing for the rack? maybe,but the seal is leaking because of a bad buishing behind that seal...wears then cuts into seal=leak...Probably best at some point to find a quality remaned rack...Or a toyota one..I think Toyota is now offering remaned ones as well...
Ya I planned on degreasing it really well right before I take it in. I was looking at the new racks from Toyota...they are like $600....I know its OEM but no thanks!! I've seen some remaned racks for around $200
Old 12-19-2008, 05:41 PM

I have had some luck using a power steering fluid stop leak (seal sweller) for a temporary repair. It may get you through until you can get it rapaired properly.

Paul
Old 12-21-2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalPaul
I have had some luck using a power steering fluid stop leak (seal sweller) for a temporary repair. It may get you through until you can get it rapaired properly.

Paul
Ya I picked up a quart of that stuff. It seems like its helped out some.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:57 PM

did you use power steering fluid or atf? I'm asking cause our 3rd gens don't use power steering fluid, and i've heard it can make things worse.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Benny_Wiskas
did you use power steering fluid or atf? I'm asking cause our 3rd gens don't use power steering fluid, and i've heard it can make things worse.
Used atf...lucas oil seal conditioner. I think I'm gonna replace the rack soon. I found an OEM for $200