Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Possible water leak, need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible water leak, need help ASAP

Hey guys, really need some help here as I do not have much time to try and fix this.
Got a 95 Tacoma with a 2.7.
I thought I had a backup in my AC drain under the dash because I had water on my passenger side floor this morning and yesterday. However, there are puddles under the truck as well.

Yesterday started with an overnight drip that eventually stopped. After driving the truck again it's been dripping slowly. It dries clear on the frame and tranny housing as well as paper towels and does not smell like anything. Pretty sure it's not coolant as that is red and all my fluid levels are fine.

I've narrowed the drip down to the hose coming from the firewall to some fitting behind the motor. It's coming out at the bottom from the hose, which suggests the water is running from inside the truck to the outside. Truck runs great and smells normal.
Looking at the picture, it is the bottom hose that is the source of the leak.
Is this just a clogged evaporator and can I make a 2 hour drive tomorrow? I generally don't ever use my AC or Heat but I had to use the defroster an few times in the last couple weeks.
Thank you all!
Old 11-24-2017, 06:03 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Those are heater hoses going to the hater core in the dash.

Its possible the drain is clogged and the moisture from the A/C has to go somewhere. Since you said you’ve been using the defroster then your A/C should have been running.

If you follow from the valve, the plastic thing bolted to the firewall with the cable attached, there is a fitting with 2 clamps. A previous owner either tried running flush through the cooling system or the heater core has already been replaced. If it is the latter, I would say your fresh air intake along the cowl is collecting water.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:30 PM

That would make sense because I am at a job training, and unfortunately the truck has to sit outside overnight for a few more weeks. Over the last two weeks we got quite a bit of rain. The drip seems to have slowed down so hopefully it's nearing the end.
One thing I want to note is that the hose is in excellent shape, the water appears to be seeping out past the clamp and not any perforations.
Also, running the truck and RPM increases do not appear to affect the leak. Any ideas for a fix or should I keep driving and monitor it?
Old 11-25-2017, 02:35 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Since the coolant level does not seem to be dropping .

The fluid seems to be water the only minor concern is a severe temperature drop causing it to freeze .

Depending just where it is laying .

Water in the wrong place over time can damage relays other electrical parts.

My COR filled with water to the point it corroded and failed

Emergency up to you
Old 11-25-2017, 07:11 AM

Thank you for the reply. I parked it on a level surface and the leak has stopped, nothing since last night. I was parked on a steep incline (truck tilted towards rear) so maybe it was causing the water that was backed up to shift, drip out the hose and flood the floor as well.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:59 PM

Ok got an update, once the truck warmed up in the sun today the leak started again. All fluids checked out fine. Tightened the clamps on the hose an made an extension for the evap drain valve as the factory hook shaped one was missing. Water literally would drip out at the firewall. Problem appears to be solved.
Drove a little over two and a half hours in the truck and it ran with absolutely no issues. Calling it solved, thanks for the help guys!