Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Please help, Highlander tire problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please help, Highlander tire problems

I have some tire wear questions that I hope someone can answer for me.

I have a 2004 Toyota Highlander with 15K miles. The front seemed to drift to the right at highway speeds. My wife then had the tires rotated for the first time although I usually never rotate my tires.

When the rears were put on the front, they rode rough. We suspected a problem with tire wear. After inspection at our dealership, I was told the tries that were on the rear were cupping on the inside, causing them to create the extra vibration that we now feel on the front.

I asked what is causing the abnormal wear. The “service manager” said it was because the tires were not rotated every 5k miles. I replied that it doesn’t make sense that if you don’t rotate your tires, they will start cupping. I said I never rotate my tires and I don’t recall ever having cupping on any car including my 2000 Tundra. I said they had to be cupping whether I rotated them or not.

He said he had seen the same problem on other Toyotas, that if the tires were not rotated, they will wear abnormally. I said I think the problem is that there is something wrong with the rear that causes them to cup, and now these tires a never going to be right. He replied that moving them to the front will help to correct the problem if caught early enough (which of course he said I didn’t). I am sure that he is in error at least on this part.

Anyway, after my insistence that there was a mechanical problem they agreed to do an alignment under warranty. The only problem they found was the RF wheel was toe +.08. They corrected the RF to +.01 and the LF to -.01. I asked why the LF was a negative value, because I thought that FWD cars needed a 0 or + toe. He said the total toe needed to be 0. I don’t know if that is true but it doesn’t sound right, just seems both tires pointing the same direction.

Also after the alignment, LR camber -1.38, RR camber -1.98. LR toe +.04, RR toe +.04.

Can someone please tell me if all this sounds normal, and if not, who do I contact at Toyota to get my car straightened out?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:39 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try another dealer. (They love to out do each other...)
AbbyNormal tire wear pattern (such as cupping) is indicative of a problem. Period.

Front tires and rear tires do wear differently, that's why you have to rotate them. You do NOT rotate them to prevent a problem from setting up a bad wear pattern on the tire. He's full of manure. Best guess is improper balance. Could also be a defective tire or a defective rim. Unlikely to be alignment, and .08 to .01 toe would not mess up a tire, and since the problem tire was apparently on the rear anyway, that can't be it.

Last edited by Flamedx4; 01-04-2005 at 11:42 PM.