Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Played with the truck last night

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Played with the truck last night

I was sick of the 22re idle problem so I started playing with the idle adj screw last night. Now my question what should the correct idle be set at, and how can i get a reading without a tach? Does setting it require any special procedure? I will say that when I set the idle lower the infamous idle crash when braking went away. So I fixed that, but is there such a thing as setting the idle to low and will it do any harm? I basically set it till it sounded good.

2nd Has anyone removed the air intake box elbow (I guess) in the 22re, like the elbow removal on the 6cyl? I took out the stock inlet pipe that starts behind the headlight last night and was wondering if anyone else with a 22re had done this and noticed any improvments? Basically created a large hole in the front of the air box. I don't do any water crossings and shouldn't have to worry about water getting in, when I took out the elbow assembly there are now to small rivet holes in the bottom of the air box that should drain any water that might get in. Just playing around.
Sorry to be so long winded but you guy's inspire me to start playing around with my truck.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:27 AM

I was looking at my Haynes manual last night and it said to set the idle per the specs on the emmisions sticker on the vehicle. Only problem is I bought the Truck used in 96 and was recently told that it had to been in a accident before I bought it because the hood has been replaced and the sticker is gone. No info on CarFax about an accident but thats another problem. Can anyone give me a clue as to what range I should be setting the idle?
Thanks
Old 03-14-2003, 05:19 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I had a '90 truck with the 22RE, and if I can find my manual, I'll post back here later.

I think when you set the idle, you don't have to jumper anything.
You only have to do that when you set the timing.

As far as hooking up a tach, I think only two wires have to be hooked up.
Do you have a tune-up tester?
I have one, but it's in storage, and I have not used it in years, but they let you check the RPMs, and other stuff.
Maybe rent one from AutoZone?
Old 03-14-2003, 05:27 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Can't find the old manual, but the info should also be in my '91 4Runner manual, but I don't see the idle specs in it.

This is the one for mine.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/tech/V6_3...ne-up_info.jpg

I'd assume the 22RE would idle about the same.

Though this CD here is for the 4Runner, it should have info for both the V6 and the 22RE in it, and it might have the info.
http://www.net-impress.com/4runner/cd/
Old 03-14-2003, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the help Corey.
Any thoughts to my second quest as to if you have heard any of the 22re guys removing the air inlet elbow?
Once again thanks!