Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

P/S pump...rebuild or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P/S pump...rebuild or replace?

so my power steering pump is starting to whir. its not a belt squeal slipping or anything like that i dont think..so im guessing its something internal.

has anyone had to rebuild or replace their power steering pump? how difficult was the rebuild, or how much was a replacement pump? reman'd or oem (id guess the oem one would be mad $$$)...

most threads i searched people replaced em, but if anyone has rebuilt, i'd like your opinion on the difficulty of rebuilding - vs - cost of replacing. i like oem stuff...

anyone?
Old 02-04-2007, 11:26 AM

I rebuilt my ps pump on my old Honda. It literally took 30 min. to remove and rebuild. There's just a few seals and o rings to replace, and the kit is very reasonable (>$30). I can't imagine the 4Runner being more difficult or expensive.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Sonny, I'm hoping that you solved my new noise that I've been hearing on and off for the past two weeks. It's definitely a whirring noise and it doesn't get louder w/ more throttle and even in neutral still has the same noise.

I've popped the hood and nothing looks out of whack (not that I'd really know anyway). The noise is coming from the front of the motor around where the belts are.

If this is what you have, then I have a starting point w/ my mechanic.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

I bought a rebuilt one from Autozone for like $80 plus the core. The time it takes to rebuild one is not hardly worth the effort.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ebelen1
Sonny, I'm hoping that you solved my new noise that I've been hearing on and off for the past two weeks. It's definitely a whirring noise and it doesn't get louder w/ more throttle and even in neutral still has the same noise.

I've popped the hood and nothing looks out of whack (not that I'd really know anyway). The noise is coming from the front of the motor around where the belts are.

If this is what you have, then I have a starting point w/ my mechanic.

yeah edwin its definitely a whirring noise, one you'd hear (of course alot quieter..almost non existant) when you crank the wheel lock to lock. its loudest at idle, and also seems to fade upon more revs. turning the interior fan from off to 1, you can hear a difference. i guess just the slightest load will cause it to whir a bit louder.

sourced out some replacement pumps from various auto parts places...prices ranged from $195 + shipping + $75 core, to ~ $225 local + core, to a whopping $600+ :eek: from the stealership. with my discount there its still almost 5 bills. all CDN dollahs.

toyota told me $60 for a gasket kit (im guessing thats the rebuild kit)...but might not be available. id rather rebuild it, but i cant find any info on a pump rebuild...i may have to settle for a reman'd one. plus id need new belts since im in there anyway...

hmm...i wonder if its in the FSM. anyone with a 3rd gen FSM care to take a look for me...pleeease?