Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Overdrive....

Old 04-26-2004, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overdrive....

Hello everyone,
I need y'alls infinite knowledge about something else.
I have a 95 4Runner and my question to you is... Does it hurt the tranny to leave the truck in OD all the time? My husband leaves the OD button clicked on even when we are in town and I was wondering if that is hard on the tranny or not? Thanks to all for any info. or advise. Have a wonderful day!!
Old 04-26-2004, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's too easy :-)

The overdrive button allows the automatic transmission to shift into overdrive, which is the 4th gear in the transmission. Seems like you are a bit new to car stuff (nothing wrong with that!), so I'll explain :-)

Your 4runner only goes into 4th gear (overdrive) when you are cruising on the highway. This drops the engine rpm and saves you gas. If you push the gas a bit, say, to pass someone on the highway, the transmission shifts down to 3rd gear anyways (or even 2nd if you really mash the pedal), and then goes back to 4th when you left off the gas.

SOOO, he should leave it with the OD on most of the time. The only time to shut it off is if you are towing a trailer or climbing a steep hill at high speed and the transmission keeps trying to shift between 3rd and 4th. Then you shut it off, and the transmission will only go up to 3rd gear. It revs a bit higher, but you keep the extra power of 3rd gear and the transmission stops trying to get you into 4th.

Make sense?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No probs with the overdrive, as was mentioned.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:00 AM

there really is no particular need for overdrive, just a button to save space on shifter for 3rd gear. OD off in "D" position means ur in 3rd gear I guess ppl use it when towing sometimes. Crazy diamond explained it better than ur owner's manual

Last edited by 2001Millrunner; 04-26-2004 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

LOL guys I never even thought to look in the owners manual? Guess that slipped my mind. Thank you for your opinions I wasn't sure if that could harm it or not. Actually the reason I asked is cuz as most of you know my tranny is slipping when it is cold then is fine when it warms up so I was just trying to maybe find the cause.

While I am at it I would like to ask another question...
Considering my problem with the slipping (which has been happening for about a year now) do you think it would be ok to drive from San Diego to Phoenix? Or do ya think I would be pushing my luck?

My husband and I do not want to get rid of it so we are going to get the tranny or what ever is the problem fixed when we win the lotto. Until then we are just babeing it. We want to keep her so we can eventually deck her out and take her to the dunes.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:31 PM

Tranny slipping...

There are 3 main causes which cause trannys to slip in 95% of cases:
1. low trans fluid - I know it sounds elementary, but you'd be surprised. If the fluid is low, the trans can't build enough pressure to clamp the bands on the ring gear to make itself shift.

2. worn bands

3. clogged trans filter (usually from worn bands - see #2)

Bands are made out of a similar material to your brake pads. When the trans shifts gears, the bands CLAMP down HARD on the spinning planetary gears. If the bands are worn or have overheated, they can't grab the spinning planetary gears well.

Worn bands = rebuild the transmission...it happens and is expected eventually. How many miles on your rig?

Occasionally, band material and sometimes burnt trans fluid sludge plugs up the trans filter and causes similar symptoms to low fluid. It's always good to change your filter and fluid, esp if its been a while.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-26-2004, 01:35 PM

OH, I forgot!

Another cause of slipping is bands out of adjustment. I'm not sure if Toyota automatics have adjustable bands. Older trannys did. If the bands are out of adjustment, they may not grab the planetary gears hard enough to shift well. You'd have to check on this point...

By the way, as far as your trip:
If the band finally wears down to nothing, you won't be able to get into that gear, and the band material thrown around could clog other parts of the trans. You would most likely make it for your trip, but it's a big risk and the trans may need major overhaul if bands decide to self destruct :-)
Old 04-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Thank you Diamond!! My dad and bro-in-law were going to drop the pan and see if it wasn't the filter being clogged? But since you wouldn't reccomend taking it I don't think we will. I have 3 small munchkins and I DO NOT want to get stuck in the middle of no-where with them, I would go NUTZ Thanks again for the advise. Gonna let the pops know and maybe he can drive his bum up here and fix it for me.

Roni
Old 01-10-2005, 01:31 PM

Overdrive issue

Hi all,
My 95 4runner won't shift into overdrive until the car has warmed up. Is this normal and if not has anyone else had this experience and can tell me what the problem is.

Thanks in advance,
Luke
Old 01-10-2005, 02:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
That's normal.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
vanderhill, welcome to Yotatech and like az4X4 says, it is perfectly normal.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:10 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome and for the info. It sets my mind at ease because I just bought it.
Thanks again

Luke

Search this Thread