Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Over heating

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last time I came close to overheating (thanks to a 2" BL and no radiator drop) the intake air temperature was showing 165F when news was saying 90F. Freeway, 2 rows of cars idling to the left, 2 rows to the right, summer sun, dark paint job, dark asphalt, sound barriers on both sides. I doubt even an aligned radiator shroud would of helped if the jam was even 15-20 minutes longer.

Of course I had A/C running the whole time. At the very end open windows and heater on full dropped the needle in a matter of seconds
Old 07-26-2005, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by rngrchad
No-one mentioned this but my first and last time my tacoma came close to overheating was because I was climbing a super steep hillclimb, in 4-low. I checked everything out afterward and pulled my radiator. There was so much mud covering hte fins I don't know how it ran cool at all! so maybe just try cleaning the radiator inside and MOST importantly the outside!

This is worth the check, The A/C coils in the front and the rad could have something blocking them and thus preventing the air from flowing through. I picked up a bag on the front when driving on the freeway once and it did not take 10 minutes for the the temp to start heading for the red area and I would say that I only had about 25pct of the air flow blocked. Even if you do not see blockage there clean it any way it won't hurt a damn thing, and it might help the system to run better.

Cars can over heat in traffic or going up hills or sitting running at idle in the driveway. Traffic is about the worst as your engine is also sucking in the exhust from other cars, the ECU changes settings on the eng to make up for the lack of O2 in this air to keep you enginge running at what it thinks is optimal. Even a brand new car right out of the factory can over heat setting in traffic with the A/C running on a hot day. The fluid in cooling system has a limit to how much heat is can asorb, the rad has a limit to how much heat it can asorb and transfer to the air. The oil gets hot and the heavier the base weight the longer is will hold the heat, if the engine has a factory oil cooler then it is still slaving oil temp to water temp and that does not help with the over all temp of the engine. Most automatics have a cooler that is built into the rad so the tranny temp is effected by the overall engine temp. With all this nothing has to be "wrong" with any component to send the engine out of range and overheat it. The ATF could be weak but okay, the oil could be wrong type but just changed, even the coolant could be okay but weak, every check of each component runs good yet when all combined it becomes too much.....It is simple when the heat starts to build the only thing that can be done is to disipate it, IT HAS BEEN PROVEN THAT SITTING IN TRAFFIC WITH THE A/C ON DOES NOT DISIPATE HEAT.

In short there can be nothing wrong with the truck and this can still happen.....
Old 07-26-2005, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by dragon564
This is worth the check, The A/C coils in the front and the rad could have something blocking them and thus preventing the air from flowing through. I picked up a bag on the front when driving on the freeway once and it did not take 10 minutes for the the temp to start heading for the red area and I would say that I only had about 25pct of the air flow blocked. Even if you do not see blockage there clean it any way it won't hurt a damn thing, and it might help the system to run better.

Cars can over heat in traffic or going up hills or sitting running at idle in the driveway. Traffic is about the worst as your engine is also sucking in the exhust from other cars, the ECU changes settings on the eng to make up for the lack of O2 in this air to keep you enginge running at what it thinks is optimal. Even a brand new car right out of the factory can over heat setting in traffic with the A/C running on a hot day. The fluid in cooling system has a limit to how much heat is can asorb, the rad has a limit to how much heat it can asorb and transfer to the air. The oil gets hot and the heavier the base weight the longer is will hold the heat, if the engine has a factory oil cooler then it is still slaving oil temp to water temp and that does not help with the over all temp of the engine. Most automatics have a cooler that is built into the rad so the tranny temp is effected by the overall engine temp. With all this nothing has to be "wrong" with any component to send the engine out of range and overheat it. The ATF could be weak but okay, the oil could be wrong type but just changed, even the coolant could be okay but weak, every check of each component runs good yet when all combined it becomes too much.....It is simple when the heat starts to build the only thing that can be done is to disipate it, IT HAS BEEN PROVEN THAT SITTING IN TRAFFIC WITH THE A/C ON DOES NOT DISIPATE HEAT.

In short there can be nothing wrong with the truck and this can still happen.....
Just like i said....
Id like to see which is worse....the AZ 110s, or TN 90s with like 75% humidity All the time.....It sucks so bad....instant sweat when u walk outside. But im glad i dont live in the desert.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

It shouldn't be overheating, that's all I know. Has it ever happened again, or is this just a one time deal? Maybe it's just a little thing that will never happen again, like today one of my LED's in the dash light stopped working, so I tapped it and it fixed itself, you know, like a temporary one-time outage .

Maybe the radiator cap seal is bad, check into that too.

And to whoever mentioned it, when my engine is completely off, I can turn my clutch fan over by hand, and I have never had any overheating problems, not even in the 90's, off-road in heavy dust and doing 4000rpm's in 4-Low (with the A/C crankin' in circulation mode) ...
Old 07-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dragon564
Millions of people in desert cities around the world would disagree with that. Epic Ed said it best so I won't bother repeating it.

Last time I checked cars don't sweat. Humidity has very little to do with a car overheating. The reason a person sweats is to dissipate heat when the sweat evaporates...the water molecules carry off the heat. High humidity reduces the rate of evaporation and therefore one feels hot.

High humidity may or may not affect the heat carrying capacity of air, but I'm pretty sure it's neglegible for this subject.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Robinhood150
Millions of people in desert cities around the world would disagree with that. Epic Ed said it best so I won't bother repeating it.

Last time I checked cars don't sweat. Humidity has very little to do with a car overheating. The reason a person sweats is to dissipate heat when the sweat evaporates...the water molecules carry off the heat. High humidity reduces the rate of evaporation and therefore one feels hot.

High humidity may or may not affect the heat carrying capacity of air, but I'm pretty sure it's neglegible for this subject.
Yeap, trucks are made to withstand 110F in dry/90F in humid weather. It doesn't matter. There is something else going on here.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:58 PM

JUST REPLACE YOUR THERMOSTAT!!! everyone lets all be happy now!
Old 07-26-2005, 09:59 PM
Contributing Member

anybody know where i can get some pheromones?
Old 07-26-2005, 10:26 PM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
Trust me, you do NOT want to see AZ in 115* heat. It doth sucketh, as they used to say. You sweat your tush off, but never realize it because it's gone before you can notice the moisture. The Nationional wx service said lately that you can sweat out a gallon an HOUR. You can't drink fast enough to replace that kind of loss. Trust me, I know this stuff first hand. You can dehydrate so bleeding fast out here it's simply mind-boggling.

Gad, how I HATE this dung-heap of a town...

ANYONE WANT TO BUY SOME ACREAGE IN AZ?????

ANYONE?????????

Edit: Just an FYI: Right this minute it's 93 out, with 41% humidity. At 11:30 PM. It's STILL miserable outside!! I just stuck my head out the door. it's NASTY out there...

Last edited by 2ToyGuy; 07-26-2005 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:03 PM

Tell ya what, fellas...tomorrow, I'm going to have my lunch in my '97 4Runner. Stationary. Abso-freakin-lutely no air flow. A/C running. I'll let you know if it over heats. I have at least an hour to burn, and I'm betting that it will be at least a 1/2 hour before my A/C starts to get a little inefficient. I'll eat my hat and walk to Tenneessee to suckle the trailor hitch on your '87 4Runner if it over heats before 45 minutes into the test.

My ride is completely stock, well maintained, and no super-hero vehicle. Just an average-Joe ride with a coolant system that is working properly. Not saying that it will run that way indefinitely, but it should take a good, long time before my 4Runner needs some help from air moving through the engine compartment to keep things from over heating.

Point is, unless dude has been on an all-day road trip with his tach pegged out above 4000 rpms, a brief stint in rush hour traffic shouldn't even faze the temperature gauge on his '98 4Runner if everything is working correctly. He didn't indicate how long he was in bumper-to-bumper traffic, but I'm betting it's shorter than my 45 minutes of hell. Then again, he lives in Boston so I guess he gets to bear his own cross on a regular basis. Beantown ain't no picnic for commuting.

I'll report back tomorrow, fellas!

Ed
Old 07-27-2005, 02:54 AM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
I'm waiting for the results, Ed. Shouldn't have any trouble with your truck. And I KNOW the heat'll be on tomorrow. Let us know what happens!
Old 07-27-2005, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Epic Ed
I'm going to have my lunch in my '97 4Runner. Stationary. Abso-freakin-lutely no air flow. A/C running. I'll let you know if it over heats.
Don't forget to put it in drive and push on the brake pedal the whole time if it's an AUTO. To make it at least closer to a simulation of real crawling traffic.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:00 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Amir904
my 98 was heating up this afternoon. i know its 94 out and i had the AC on and was driving in bumper to bumper traffic, but the needle was 1/4" away from the red zone. i checked and there was fluid in the reservoir, i dont think im losing it anywhere. is it because of the weather and AC use?
amir, same thing happened to me yesterday. i pulled over, turned the a/c off, turned the heat ALL the way up and jumped out of the truck. when i climbed back into my now 200 degree truck, the needle was back in the middle. nothing happened since.

im convinced its the weather and a/c and traffic combo.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:04 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rngrchad
There was so much mud covering hte fins I don't know how it ran cool at all! so maybe just try cleaning the radiator inside and MOST importantly the outside!
i need to do this as well
Old 07-27-2005, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by lee
i need to do this as well
Well, Lee, if you need to clean off the front of your radiator then it isn't just the temps and A/C, bro! :pat:

Yer killin' me...

I have no doubt that extremes in temperatures expose the weaknesses of a vehicles cooling system, and problems often surface when it suddenly gets very hot, but this simply means that there is a component of the system or some other maintenance that needs to be addressed in order to get the vehicle up to snuff. Cleaning the debris off the front of the radiator would be a good example.

I can't wait until lunch...

Ed
Old 07-27-2005, 07:29 AM
lee
Contributing Member

hahah. im not entirely sure i need to, but my engine bay is pretty friggin dirty.

it has been for about 3 months now... so im not convinced its related.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:47 AM

Maybe you have lots of bugs on the radiator blocking the flow. That's most likely the problem this time fo the year.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:49 AM

Curious -- how long is your commute (how long before the temp started to climb)?
Old 07-27-2005, 08:24 AM
lee
Contributing Member

it happened to me really quickly going down a small road, in slight traffic (was probably going 8 to 10 mph behind a line of cars following a truck).

it went up, i pulled over right away, turned the heat on, it went back to normal, and nothing has come of it since.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

ya, i was out today again, with the AC blasting, its 95 out today. i was in the bumper-bumper yesterday for about 1 hour. today i drove around, but only for 20 min or so.

Lee, i think we should change our thermos, just to be on the safe side.

Quick Reply: Over heating