Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OME 880 and 906 with Bilstein Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OME 880 and 906 with Bilstein Shocks

Hello everyone,

A few months ago I installed 4 new Bilstein shocks (set of 4 F&R #BE5-F332-H0 FR. #BE5-2451-H0 REARS) in hopes of fixing the loose, sloppy, bottoming out rear end of my 2000 4runner. Now I'm to the point of buying new coils and have been eyeballing the OME 880/906 combo.

I have searched and have found a ton of information on both parts, but little info about the combination. So a few questions:

1. Will this combination of shock and spring be ok?
2. How much lift should I hope for? 1"-2"?
3. Will this stop the horrible bottoming out? I don't think i can handle hitting those bumpstops anymore!
4. Would you recommend me buying a few 5mm trim packers just in case i need them? Will my new ride sit level with just new coils?

Thanks in advance for your help! Now it's off to the picture thread!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:31 AM

So, I take it the shocks alone did not help with your issues? I have the same problem with my `97 4Runner, it is dangerous hitting a bump in a corner, the back of the truck ends up beside me everytime. So i would love to see what you find out about rectifying this issue on your truck.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:22 PM

yeah, the famous rear spring sag issue on 3rd gen's...

My 97 has those "trailer" bushings, dont remember the manufacturer, that install on the frame above the rear axle. They are supposed to help with control while trailering, and werent supposed to contact the axle until you loaded the rear.

Ha ha, yeah...as soon as I lowered the truck down onto the new bushings, they were already touching UNLOADED.

Well, I've driven like that for 6 yrs now

ride is a bit stiff, but no sag, ha ha...and lots of control while trailering...I also have a sport shock installed that also stiffened things up...but shocks arent supposed to control compression, that really is the job of the coil.

Anyways, now I dont trailer with it anymore, and am looking for a solution. I would like to buy a replacement spring, with no lift, but that doesnt immediately start sagging excessively like the original ones do.

So....I'm watching this too
Old 05-24-2011, 06:55 PM

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

might consider this
Old 05-25-2011, 04:59 AM

I would not go with the Bilstein OME combination. I used to have Bilstein HD shocks with stock springs but now I've got the OME springs you mentioned with OME shocks. I can only imagine how stiff the ride would be. But the 906s should solve your bottoming out problems. They are pretty heavy duty compared to stock.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by mjwalfredo
I would not go with the Bilstein OME combination. I used to have Bilstein HD shocks with stock springs but now I've got the OME springs you mentioned with OME shocks. I can only imagine how stiff the ride would be. But the 906s should solve your bottoming out problems. They are pretty heavy duty compared to stock.

why not just spacer the stockers?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by mattbatson
why not just spacer the stockers?
My guess is that even though you wont hit the bump stop, if you bottom out the spring will fully compress and act as a bump stop. Probably not good. Plus the spacers wont do anything to the spring rate which is the problem imo.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 AM

I think the old springs are doneski. The Bilsteins i have are not the HD series. I loved the Bilsteins on my Tacoma!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:28 AM

OK, so let me ask this.
where do I find a spring that is close to stock spring rate (without the faulty sag obviously) and stock height?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by frisbeedog
I think the old springs are doneski. The Bilsteins i have are not the HD series. I loved the Bilsteins on my Tacoma!
You might be okay with your Billie's and the OME springs, I don't have any experience with those. The HD's would probably be terrible with the OME springs though.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by mattbatson
OK, so let me ask this.
where do I find a spring that is close to stock spring rate (without the faulty sag obviously) and stock height?
You might think about the 1999 factory springs. They should be a tiny bit taller than the 97 springs. Other than that, the Performance Products 1" lift springs would probably be your best bet but I heard that they don't make those anymore unfortunately.

Another option is airbags for the rear springs. I used to run them and they were nice. The only problem I had is they would start leaking after a couple of years. Possibly due to dirt and mud getting trapped between the coil and the bag and wearing on the bag...
Old 05-25-2011, 09:28 AM
jrm

Im not going to lie

the 880/906 + Bilstein HD ride is stiff, but the higher rate springs then OE or 99 tall really do result in a nice responsive, and stable ride. I ended up with a 1.5 (f) to 2"(r) lift and about a .50" rake. I chose the 906s b/c i dont tow anything regularly, but wanted something that would let me if i wanted too. Combined with 275/75/16 Hankooks i like the ride on-road alot and it can be somewhat jarring off road depending on the conditions.

Last edited by jrm; 05-25-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by mjwalfredo
You might think about the 1999 factory springs. They should be a tiny bit taller than the 97 springs. Other than that, the Performance Products 1" lift springs would probably be your best bet but I heard that they don't make those anymore unfortunately.

Another option is airbags for the rear springs. I used to run them and they were nice. The only problem I had is they would start leaking after a couple of years. Possibly due to dirt and mud getting trapped between the coil and the bag and wearing on the bag...

yeah, air bags do usually end up leaking...so dont think I'll go with that headache.
Sounds like 99 springs might be the closest to stock.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by jrm
the 880/906 + Bilstein HD ride is stiff, but the higher rate springs then OE or 99 tall really do result in a nice responsive, and stable ride. I ended up with a 1.5 (f) to 2"(r) lift and about a .50" rake. I chose the 906s b/c i dont tow anything regularly, but wanted something that would let me if i wanted too. Combined with 275/75/16 Hankooks i like the ride on-road alot and it can be somewhat jarring off road depending on the conditions.

Ok, I'm inches away from ordering the OME 880/906 springs but wanted to make sure there were any other problems this might cause, like the more severe driveshaft angle and such?
I'm thinking 1 to 2 inches isnt enough to cause any other complications, but wanted to make sure.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:25 PM

I have Bilsteins and OME 906's, sits about an inch higher than it did with my 99 "Tall" springs. I personally love the ride, it was harsh at first but settled down quite a bit after about 1000 miles.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:57 AM

I installed the 881/906 combo and it is awesome with the Bilstein shocks (see first post for model #'s)! The coils probably gave 2" of lift since the rear coils were so shot. The ride is a little stiff but it is perfect for the washboard gravel roads. The street manners are good too! Next up is replacing sway bar bushings and maybe the panhard bar, then some 265/75/16 BFG Mud Terrains, and some armor, and.........

Last edited by frisbeedog; 09-27-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:45 PM

Question

Originally Posted by frisbeedog
I installed the 881/906 combo and it is awesome with the Bilstein shocks (see first post for model #'s)! The coils probably gave 2" of lift since the rear coils were so shot. The ride is a little stiff but it is perfect for the washboard gravel roads. The street manners are good too! Next up is replacing sway bar bushings and maybe the panhard bar, then some 265/75/16 BFG Mud Terrains, and some armor, and.........
Good job on the lift it looks great! I would like to improve the stance on my 4Runner and the OME 881/906 combo seems like the way to go.

I was wondering exactly were the specifications on the shocks and how you like them compared to stock?

Did you do the work yourself? If so did you run into any issues?

Thanks
Old 07-17-2013, 10:24 AM

I thought I would be clever and piece meal my package together using stock replacement Bilstein shocks with the OME springs. In hindsight I should have ordered the OME Comfort shocks to compliment the springs. I assumed a 2" lift wouldn't change much, but now I feel the stock shocks are out of their sweet spot.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:44 PM

Question

I really don't need high performance gas shocks I would like to find nice set of conventional shocks for a good price that would work with the 880 and 906 springs.

How did you know the Bilsteins would work with the OME springs, in terms of size, travel and fitment?

Last edited by 2000SR5; 07-18-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:38 AM

I wrongly assumed the specs of the OME springs were close enough to the stock springs with the exception of the lift. I'm not the right guy to ask about Bilstein springs.

Quick Reply: OME 880 and 906 with Bilstein Shocks