Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool, thanks for the info....
Old 01-09-2004, 08:38 PM

wow I missed this post!

here is the part# for the taco piece ss170hf

Make sure your woman knows what it's gonna look like, and that EVERYONE will give you the "what the hell is that" look.
My girl hates the snorkel, but she isn't really into offroading, and she is superficial! :pig:

Old 01-10-2004, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I plan to design something unobtrusive like the Mantec one.

Sorry about the size of the pic...

Old 01-10-2004, 09:00 AM

that LR snorkel is UGLY
GO WITH ARB

INsr5runner, Suck for you big time cause every girl I know looooooves it. Must be a southern thing......
Hell my buddy's girl want one for her Accord :wtf:

If you want a cool chick then move below the Mason Dixion Line:pat:
Old 01-10-2004, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by Hyperlite
that LR snorkel is UGLY
GO WITH ARB
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
Old 01-10-2004, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

that LR snorkel is UGLY
GO WITH ARB
I like the LR one much better...barely tell its there. Doesnt look like someone is sticking their hand out the window to give a high five.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:18 AM

Snorkel 101

Ok dummy in the house & I have Q's. I want a snorkel for one cuz they look cool and for two cuz of the ram air idea. How much is a snorkel? Does a snorkel replace my factory air tubing? Whats the general idea besides it gets water out of the engine compartment? I mean say you drive into a water hole that comes up to your hood line. water would just engulf the engine compartment. So is that safe on a motor? I figure the snorkel allows the engine to breathe. DUH? Now is it safe with all of that water contacting the distributor,alternator, and getting into other stuff. What are the bad things associated with having a snorkel and doing a water crossing? Blue
Old 01-30-2004, 08:14 AM

The snorkle for the 2nd gen Runners includes all the hardware you need to connect it to your air box. The tube simply fits inside the fender and connects to the airbox and snorkle. The cost of these suckers is around $250 but worth every penny. The main purpose of a snorkle in Austrailia is to pull clean air when driving in convoys on the dirt roads of the Outback. The snorkle intake is above the dust. The snorkles are great for pulling cool clean air from above the traffic instead of near exhaust level. Many commercial trucks have snorkels in america such as this Isuzu

If you drive into a hole that is over your hood the bow wave you push (given you go slow) will push the water away from the engine and around your truck. When this happens the water line on the side of the truck will be at least 1/3 less deep than if you were sitting still or stuck in a hole. One problem is when crossing rivers is your fan. The higher RPM the faster the fan is spinning and it will cause damage to someting. My 3rd gen fan blades flaten out when they hit water and have claimed a radiator that way, I have heard of the blades breaking on Runners that hit mud to hard. If you were to completly stopped while sumerging your truck the factory fan would act like a propeller and that can't be good. I would recomend an electric fan so you can turn it off.
As for the other electronics som gasket maker (sensor safe) should help. I have been through 2 altinators in 4 months due to being dunked and filled with silt. I have only had water come in once and that was when I did not have fender liners in. I have one of my amps under the rear seat wher the jack is suppose to go and it has got mud on the corner of it.

The big difference in the safari snorke and othe brands like the ugly LR one is the way it disperses water that enters the intake

Watch this video (safe for work)

Last edited by Hyperlite; 01-30-2004 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:33 AM

Re: Snorkel 101

Originally posted by BigBadBlue
Ok dummy in the house & I have Q's. I want a snorkel for one cuz they look cool and for two cuz of the ram air idea. How much is a snorkel? Does a snorkel replace my factory air tubing? Whats the general idea besides it gets water out of the engine compartment? I mean say you drive into a water hole that comes up to your hood line. water would just engulf the engine compartment. So is that safe on a motor? I figure the snorkel allows the engine to breathe. DUH? Now is it safe with all of that water contacting the distributor,alternator, and getting into other stuff. What are the bad things associated with having a snorkel and doing a water crossing? Blue
If you just want it for looks and "ram air" then I would say you are wasting your money. I don't know which genius around here started this whole ram air bit, but it just isn't true. The main benefit of a snorkel is to keep water and dust out of your intake.

Deep water is never a good thing. Having your engine underwater isn't either. Things can get wet and they can break. Measures can be taken to lessen these things happening. Regardless, if no water makes it into your intake, you will never have to replace the engine itself. It is insurance for the most expensive part on your truck.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:05 AM

Some insentive for a snorkel

Mud/water/silt in the engine won't ruin it...............
Mine still works because I didn't start it for 2 weeks after this. After I drained and cleaned the intake, engine, oil, transmission it started right up, well not exactly. The following week I changed the plugs twice and the oil 4 times and used gallons of Mavels Mystery Oil and Lucus oil stabalizer most importantly I bought a snorkel

For the RAM air comment I perfer the deckplate out when normal driving

Last edited by Hyperlite; 01-30-2004 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:18 AM

Re: Re: Snorkel 101

Originally posted by 44Runner
If you just want it for looks and "ram air" then I would say you are wasting your money. I don't know which genius around here started this whole ram air bit, but it just isn't true. The main benefit of a snorkel is to keep water and dust out of your intake.

Deep water is never a good thing. Having your engine underwater isn't either. Things can get wet and they can break. Measures can be taken to lessen these things happening. Regardless, if no water makes it into your intake, you will never have to replace the engine itself. It is insurance for the most expensive part on your truck.
I wouldnt think I would need a snorkel being how tall my rig is. Does my rigs height exempt me from having to have a snorkel? Blue
Old 01-30-2004, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry for the threadjack…

So a Taco stock snorkel is needed for install of an aftermarket snorkel on a 3rd gen 4Runner?

If so, I have a stock snorkel from a Taco, I wonder if I could/should sell it?
Old 01-30-2004, 11:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: Snorkel 101

Originally posted by BigBadBlue
I wouldnt think I would need a snorkel being how tall my rig is. Does my rigs height exempt me from having to have a snorkel? Blue
It all depends. When I pulled Cornbread's Taco out the other weekend he was up to his windows in water, and his truck is a WHOLE lot taller than yours. He has probably has at least a foot of lift and 38.5s...
Old 01-30-2004, 11:33 AM

I'd get it for the looks.

Not trying to tease you 44RUNNER, but I think it's something unique and nice.

Being as I off-road, I'm sure at some point or another, it would be put into practise but the main reason would be because of the looks it adds to your truck/rig.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

Here's another reason for a snorkel

The engine don't run too well with a rod through the side of the block! Hydrolocked Big time!

Last edited by BruceTS; 06-02-2007 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:17 PM

Mud/water/silt in the engine won't ruin it...............
Mine still works because I didn't start it for 2 weeks after this. After I drained and cleaned the intake, engine, oil, transmission it started right up, well not exactly. The following week I changed the plugs twice and the oil 4 times and used gallons of Mavels Mystery Oil and Lucus oil stabalizer most importantly I bought a snorkel
For those that might believe this, it is 100% untrue. Water in your engine can ruin it in a heart beat. Anyone who actually sucks in water and doesn't ruin their engine is a lucky MFer. Not to mention half these people probably have bent rods and are running lower compression in a cylinder
Old 01-30-2004, 10:35 PM

On the trail any engine can survive a dunking and with a few hours of work it can be trail ready again. Remove your plugs and clean them and make sure the water is drained from the oil. You can remove water and save your oil on the trail after the oil cools and the water settles to the bottom and will drain before the oil. You need to remove your filter and dry it in the sun or your buddy's engine block. Clean the intake and reassemble. Hell it might not be the best way but it will get you home.

I was very lucky I guess, but I have heard that the damage only comes from when you try to restart your truck. Of course the water will cause rust inside the block. The motor will stall before the engine will be able to have enough power to compress a rod. When you try to restart is when the water can not compress and something will go. I hit a mud hole that was too deep at a high rate of speed, the engine stalled and and shook the truck. Luckly the momentum pulled me half way out the hole. Trying to be smart I decided not to try to start it. We called a girl to give us a ride home where we got a F150 and towed it home 5 miles with a 25ft towstrap, dim lights and no power brakes or steer. There was at least a half a gallon of water in the oil and all the intake silencers were filled with mud. It runs beter now then when I first got the truck
Old 01-31-2004, 06:51 AM

On the trail any engine can survive a dunking and with a few hours of work it can be trail ready again. Remove your plugs and clean them and make sure the water is drained from the oil. You can remove water and save your oil on the trail after the oil cools and the water settles to the bottom and will drain before the oil. You need to remove your filter and dry it in the sun or your buddy's engine block. Clean the intake and reassemble. Hell it might not be the best way but it will get you home.

I was very lucky I guess, but I have heard that the damage only comes from when you try to restart your truck. Of course the water will cause rust inside the block. The motor will stall before the engine will be able to have enough power to compress a rod. When you try to restart is when the water can not compress and something will go. I hit a mud hole that was too deep at a high rate of speed, the engine stalled and and shook the truck. Luckly the momentum pulled me half way out the hole. Trying to be smart I decided not to try to start it. We called a girl to give us a ride home where we got a F150 and towed it home 5 miles with a 25ft towstrap, dim lights and no power brakes or steer. There was at least a half a gallon of water in the oil and all the intake silencers were filled with mud. It runs beter now then when I first got the truck
You were very lucky, you definely did the right thing by not trying to start it. The fact is that your engine can break as soon as the water is sucked in, not just on the restart...
Old 01-31-2004, 06:30 PM
Banned for dupe accounts

I have a question I drilled holes in the bottom of my airbox and it lets the mud drain out if it gets in there. good idea or bad idea? I dont go into deep water just mud and only like 10 inches max but im planning on buyin a snorkle asap.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:38 PM

I don't think I started it but I said it, cause it is true. The primary function of a snorkel it to get a better airsourse to the engine, i.e. Cleaner, Dryer and Colder but if you check the ARB website or read up on the safari snorkel the "ram air" performance gain is stated as being true. ARB has not ever given me a reason not to belive them. The thing is though, you can't dyno test ram air so I guss there will always be a disagreement between the skeptical and those that understand physics/aerodynamics. No hard feelings, just gotta go with what I know.

Quick Reply: Ok to get Snorkel...