Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Northern VA Members - Anyone know of any local auto repair classes/clinics?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern VA Members - Anyone know of any local auto repair classes/clinics?

I'm not embarrassed to admit that I know squat when it comes to auto repair/maintanence - hey I can refill the windshield wiper fluids. Does anyone know of any local classes or clinics that teach auto repair/maintanence? I would like to learn how to do basic auto repair, maintanence, and learn "what's what" in my 4Runner just in case something happens to my vehicle or someone elses.

I searched the Fairfax County and local area adult education classes, no luck. Do some of the national auto part stores offer classes like Home Depot and Lowes does for home repair/improvements? Any suggestions/advice/help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

I can't tell you who offers classes in your area, since I'm on the west coast. But I'd be surprised if a local community college didn't offer classes. I know when I lived in PA they were offered, and they're offered in Comm. colleges out here. They may not be listed under continuing ed., since alot of them are classes towards associates degrees. But you may want to check that out if you haven't yet. It would be a time commitment, because the classes would probably run a whole semester.

However, if you're just looking for a workshop type-thing, then that probably won't work. For that, you may want to check with a local Toyota dealer. I know of one dealership that does offer seminars in maintanence, etc. and also introduce you to their service staff. Those are free. Some also offer classes for women only.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

Why take classes unless you want to be a mechanic? the Haynes Manuals have several do it yourself jobs, you could pick up a lot of stuff that way. If you just want to be able to do some stuff on your own there's many projects that you can attempt on your own and probably not screw anything up. In the process you learn how things work...
Old 03-04-2003, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

Roadrunner, don't be embarrassed. You're probably like the majority of drivers on the road! While taking a class sounds like a good idea (I've considered it myself), I have to agree with dajabr. You'll learn a lot by just getting hold of a service manual and getting your hands greasy. I wouldn't recommend that you start by changing your timing belt, but an oil change is probably a good starting point. Other easy things to do are lubricating the chassis, checking/refilling fluid levels, and checking/changing the air filter. Trust me, the more time you spend doing things (and hopefully doing them right ), the more confidence you'll get and you'll want to do more. A bonus is if you know a good mechanic who can check the work you've done and can answer your questions.

BTW, where exactly do you (Roadrunner and dajabr) live? We should hook up this spring for an offroad excursion!

Matt
Old 03-04-2003, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Try checking your spark plugs, they can get corroded, dirty, melted. That's a good one, and is laid out in detail in manuals. Air filter, oil change, rad fluid flush and fill. You can probably start unscrewing anything of the interior that's not perfect and figure out what needs to be done.

I don't do any serious work myself either, did my own SR5 gauge swap, 'lights on' buzzer, maplight, fluids, etc. but I don't have the time or place to do or learn major stuff. Had the pros swap my engine, fix my e-brake and install my sunroof.

I'm in Falls Church/ Arlington line in NoVA if anybody has a heated garage and needs an extra pair of slightly experienced hands. I went to GMU in Fairfax too so I'm familiar with you area...
Old 03-04-2003, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

I don't mind getting my hands dirty and will pick up the repair manual. I'm afraid of taking something apart and then putting it back together only to find a part still lying there and not knowing where it goes. Also I lack any tools, or some of the specialized tools that have been mentioned on YotaTech. As a relatively recent homeowner, I need to start getting some tools together. Well I do have a small set of Sears Craftsman tools (the basic stuff: hammer, screwdrivers, etc).

Richeyma, do you know where Fair Oaks Shopping Center is? The wife and I live across the mall in Penderbrook. I work in Downtown DC, near Metro Center. I'm going over to 4x4 Connection this Saturday to discuss adding a TJM-15, Warn winch, and rocksliders to my 4Runner.

Last edited by Roadrunner; 03-04-2003 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by Roadrunner

Richeyma, do you know where Fair Oaks Shopping Center is? The wife and I live across the mall in Penderbrook. I work in Downtown DC, near Metro Center. I'm going over to 4x4 Connection this Saturday to discuss adding a TJM-15, Warn winch, and rocksliders to my 4Runner.
Hey man! Small world, I use to live in Penderbrook.

I'm assuming you've checked out NOVA? The Manassas campus has a nice sized shop down there. I plan on taking some welding classes someday down there.

Honestly, the BEST way to get to know your rig is to just tear into it! If something breaks, or needs maintenence, grab your Haynes manual, and goto town! Just make sure you have a 2nd ride, or a friend with one, in case you need to make a parts run. If you don't have the right tool, Sears is RIGHT around the corner, and there's no time like the present to get a much needed new tool!!
Old 03-04-2003, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Roadrunner,

For some reason, I think we've talked before about where you lived...maybe on another post? I think I know where you live--I'm just about 15 minutes down the road in Burke.

Getting the manual will be the first big step to overcoming the knowledge barrier. When you can see a picture/diagram of how something is put together and directions, it makes it so much easier! The manual is not the end all though--this forum and searching the Internet will uncover more information (if you have the $$, I'd get the Toyota FSM over the Haynes).

As far as tools go, it seems that there is alwasy one more tool to buy! If you don't have a socket set then put that near the top of your list. Sears has mechanics sets that include a case with several assorted metric and standard size sockets. From there, you may have to buy (or borrow if you know somebody that has the tool you need) for each project you tackle. You don't need every tool available to do a job. Focus on one task (e.g. an oil change) and make sure you have the necessary tools BEFORE you start (like an oil filter wrench, proper socket size for oil pan plug, oil drain pan/container, rags, etc.). Every Christmas that comes around, I put a bunch of tools on my wish list...unfortunatley I never get the REAL expensive ones!

If it's comforting at all, I have the same fears. When I replaced my torsion bars, I was a bit nervous--especially when I couldn't get the driver's side one in! All these horrorific thoughts were going through my head, then I realized the worst case scenario--I wouldn't be able to get the torsion bar on, so I'd have to get the thing towed to a repair shop and have them fix it. It'd cost some $$, but it's not the end of the world!

One last thing before I cut my ramblings...whenever you do some work on your rig, take it for a test drive--and not on the beltway going 60+ mph. Take it around the block to make sure you don't hear or feel anything out of the ordinary!

Matt
Old 03-04-2003, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by richeyma

One last thing before I cut my ramblings...whenever you do some work on your rig, take it for a test drive--and not on the beltway going 60+ mph. Take it around the block to make sure you don't hear or feel anything out of the ordinary!

Matt
O but WHY?? Crusin on 66, THEN remembering you forgot to tighten the lug nuts the rest of the way is FUN!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2003, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

the BEST way to get to know your rig is to just tear into it!
Uuuuuuh, I dunno about that. Don't just start tearing into the engine or anything that will immobilize the vehicle. Interior is no big deal, you can take weeks toput it back.
For every piece that you take out, look at the next piece and see if it will be a problem to put back. When in doubt, stop and put everything back. You could probably do your own brakes if you have the time to do it slow and pay attention to how it goes back together.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:05 AM

OK ok, I'm talkin suspension, axles and the like. I'd tear into the engine or tranny if it was an extra I had. Thought it was common knowledge to NOT tear into something as complicated as an engine, tranny or like ring gears!
Old 03-04-2003, 12:34 PM

There is guy that has a radio and TV talk show about car problems named Pat Goss in your area. He holds clinics from time to time at different locations.

I think these clinics are not geared to teach you how to do anything major, but to teach you about your car and it systems so that when you do have to go to a shop you will be smart enough to be on the same level as the mechanic and know when you are getting lied to.

His webstie is www.PatGossCarWorld.com. If you want to take a class on how to work on your car I am sure that he could recommend one in your area to you.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 03-04-2003, 06:08 PM

Hey Roadrunner,

Just listen to Richeyma and dajabr, they are the professionals. Like what they said, start with basic stuffs like changing fluids and all. Get yourself down and dirty, this is the only way you are going to familiarize yourself with the nuts and bolts of your vehicle. And if you have any special tools when you need them, you can always go to Autozone for tool rental or search the yellow pages for other tool rental company.
And if you are about to tackle a job you are not familiar with, make sure to spend some time reading that Haynes Manual or better yet if you have the dough get the Factory Service Manual in that case every thing is detailed in a particular job you are about to do. In my experience, I like the Haynes Manual better than the Chilton, because Chilton does not explain all the details and there is some items that are not in this book. Now if you want to get quality tools at a cheaper price, try to look at your local Trading Post where some retired mechanics would just like to get rid of their tools. Some tools were never been used. This is the way I did when I was starting out to build my tool box.
And if you ever have a questions, don't forget you have the Yotatech online and people here are ready to help you out. With that said, have fun and hubba hubba turn to, I want to hear that sound of a ratchet!! :pat:

Noel
Old 03-04-2003, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Noel,

I appreciate the compliment, but I'm by no means a professional at, uh, ANYTHING! You give good advice on renting tools--I hadn't considered that. Then again, most of the tools I use on the car cost me under $20 except for my torque wrench. The one good thing about buying a tool is that it gives you an incentive to get your money's worth and use it

Where in VA Beach do you live? I lived there for a little over 5 years--went to Trantwood Elementary, Lynnhaven Jr. High, and 2 years at Frank W. Cox...many many moons ago.

Matt
Old 03-04-2003, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys for all the input. Is there a Haynes or Chilton repair manual for the 2001 4Runner? I searched the internet, Amazon books, and Barnes & Noble and only found a manuals up to the 2000 4Runner.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:53 PM

richeyma,

Where in VA Beach do you live? I lived there for a little over 5 years--went to Trantwood Elementary, Lynnhaven Jr. High, and 2 years at Frank W. Cox...many many moons ago
Hey man, I live around Indian River Road and Kempsville area. I know you're not professional but you know what you are talking to when it comes to "turn wrench" just by looking at what you previously posted. And as far as buying tools, I always go to Sears for new ones, and again the trusty Trading Post. Heck, I even go to some yard sales because you never know what tools you may find in there. I bought a brand new Snap On torque wrench for just around $25.00 buck on a yard sale. I lucked out on that one.

Richeyma, do you go wheelin at GWNF? I wonder how many fellow Virginians on this forum go to that area? I would like to try someday.

Roadrunner,

If you can avoid buying the Chilton, avoid it and get the Haynes manual because it has more pictures and a lot of detail than Chilton. Get one from Advance Auto Stores and check Autozone also, I know Autozone carries Haynes Manual.

Thanks guys for all the input. Is there a Haynes or Chilton repair manual for the 2001 4Runner? I searched the internet, Amazon books, and Barnes & Noble and only found a manuals up to the 2000 4Runner
Noel
Old 03-04-2003, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

Noel,

I'm familiar with the Kempsville area. I used to play baseball at Kempsville High and a couple other ball fields in the area. Good deal on the torque wrench too! I think I'll start doing some searching as well.

As far as knowing what I'm talking about, I was just relaying my personal experiences to RoadRunner because I was of the same mindset not too long ago. I should also add that it helps to have a 2nd vechicle handy in case the work takes longer than expected or you need a replacement part :pat: I was hoping to become a grease monkey when I was in high school because my dad had a 65 MG he tinkered with for about 10 years. A few months before I was able to drive, he sold it and bought a new Toyota Truck. I didn't get a chance to work on that (dad wouldn't let me tinker with the new truck), but it at least turned me into a Toyota fan!

I have not yet been to GW. I've gone out towards the Luray Caverns in the mountains and have been to Madison, VA. We need to plan a trip to GW because I've heard it's pretty fun. Not sure how tough it is--I'm not a rock climber or hard core guy, but I do like a challenge and some mud!

Roadrunner, I couldn't find a 2001 Haynes either. You might want to check with Fairfax Toyota or other local dealers to see what it'd cost for a FSM and also check on eBay. I looked through an FSM for a 95 4runner and it seemed to have better diagrams and instructions. I think it's worth the extra money if you're going to do some work. Heck, the money you save on doing a few oil changes yourself will pay for the FSM.