Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New to Yotaland.. w/questions..

Old 01-20-2005, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Yotaland.. w/questions..

Hola!
Well you heard it another newbie.. first truck, first toyota...
Just picked up a shiny 88 xtra-cab 4x4 22-Re with only 88k on it, pretty much stock..
Got an issue with the trans, I am getting a whining, almost grinding sound in 3rd and 5th and am wondering if it could be just a matter of an adjustment or two, or does it indicate a rebuild is near in my future? Sure, 1st 2nd 4th works to get around, but...
Any opinions on the rebuild, tips.. should I try it myself, get a pro or get a friend with the skills.. he he.. here, have a tranny..
No, really, I want to take her to a million, and a half.. So I better start now..
Can anybody tell me straight off what trans unit is in her? w56?
I take it ill be removing the transfer case as well?..
A couple of bloddy knuckles is worth much more when you have a few extra bills in the pocket because of it eh!

Thanks, and thanks...
Yotalehihu!
Old 01-21-2005, 09:02 AM

Hi and welcome. You have the W56 and probably top shift t case. It sounds like a bearing is going bad so it along. You could try synthetic but it is $$. Those are the good tranys if you have good mechanical skills you could rebuild it but you may want to take it to someone. Guna be $$ either way.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:18 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Meanwhile, try to avoid using 5th. Run in 4th as much as you can - there is nearly no stress as the torque passes straight through. Once the bearings get noisy things tend to get worse fast, so start planning on a rebuild or replacement.

I would personally either find a good used one or get a rebuilt unit from Marlin Crawler or somewhere like that, and change it out myself. It's not too hard. Rent a transmission jack, get a Clymers and go for it. The tcase comes out with the trans, then you separate them. Gather up a bunch of socket extensions, the bolts and the top of the bell housing are reached from the rear of the whole assemblY! Leave the crossmember bolted to the case and drop the whole thing together - much easier. First time I did it took a whole day. Second time was like 3 hours...

Free tip #247: Don't take it to a dealer for rebuild. It will cost twice as much as it should.

Last edited by Flamedx4; 01-21-2005 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

You dont want to go to a dealer. Ask around at Autozone, Pepbooys or where ever you buy parts. They usually know the better machanics.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just went through the same thing, bearings were shot.i got a rebuild kit from marlin and attempted to rebuild it myself, i consider myself relatively good at working on my toy but trannies are a whole nother story, i got pretty far but ended up dropping it off at a tranny shop the other day. unless you have a back up tranny i dont reccommend you do it yourself in case something gets screwed up.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:12 AM

Thanks a ton guys..

Call me a fool, but I really want to get to know my toy, really want to go for it..

I take it there's no way it could be solved with a clutch adj or somethin' simple.. ~ :|#
What all then should I replace while I'm in there anyways.. ie- tcase..
Its all stock probably never been cracked open before? ooohh Im getting chills just thinkin about it.. sweet 88 oh mine....
What would you say are the cost/effort/benefit factors versus mechanic / hand / rebuilt(hand/mech. installs)...

Man, on second thought that diesel swap is sounding mighty appealing now..
Anybody up for a 22re? >
Supposedly the 3l will slide right up to the W56 like a champ with the 3l bellhousing n' motor mounts!!
Easy swap, a few wires... check it out..
<http://www.toyotadiesel.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=232>
<http://www.sr5.net/bbs/index.sht>

hows bout a sweet lookin 81 Diesel Bj42 Anyone? E-bay 1 day left!!
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6443&item=45207529 30&rd=1#ebayphotohosting>

How much time will $ynthetic give me on the clock of doom?.. (cost/benefit)
Speaking of.. any guesses... anyone???..
I'll stay completely off 5th, 3rd too, but I can definately run at 65 in 4th no prob..
(btw- I can hear the whiny/grindy noise a tiny in the top of 2nd but 4th purrsssss (:
The 22re rocks!!

Thanks yall!

Search this Thread