Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Wheels & Tires are On! *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Wheels & Tires are On! *PICS*

Finally got my new wheels and tires installed this past weekend . I had been waiting for my previous stock set of 265/70s to wear down before I upgraded...and well, that day was last Sunday.

Wheels:

I upgraded my stock 16x7 Sport Edition wheels, to a set of 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart wheels, part # PTR20-34070. I know a lot of members here have mixed emotions about these wheels, but I simply love them. Toyota discontinued these wheels a few years back and I have been looking for a used set ever since. However, every opportunity I had to purchase a set, I came up short...until now.

A few months ago to my surprise, I learned that TRD was going to re-release these wheels! I began calling Toy dealers around town, but every dealer I spoke with had yet to hear of this news from Toyota. I contacted YT member TACOZILLA (Shannon) of Champion Toyota of Houston and discovered his dealership was one of the first in the Country to get their hands on these newly re-released wheels. Best of all, I was able to purchase these wheels at a discount b/c of my membership here. These wheels list for $250 a piece, but Shannon sold them to me for $193 ea out the door. I quickly ordered a set of 4 and within 5 days, they were at my door. (Thanks again Shannon!)

One persistent problem that has plagued these wheels is the issue of clear coat. Problem being, the clear coat does not seem to hold up over time. TRD addressed this problem and has said to have resolved it with the re-introduction of these wheels. Second, (while it does not pertain to us 3rd Gen owners) TRD has created these wheels in such a way that they can now be mounted on a vehicle that utilizes tire pressure sensors.

Tires:

I upgraded my tires from the stock 265/70 Dunlops, to a set of 265/75 Nitto Terra Grapplers. After all the reviews I had read on the Nittos, I knew I could not go wrong with a set of them. For the amount of off roading I do, I knew I did not need a very aggressive tire. Second, I travel the freeways a great deal and have heard the Nittos do exceptionally well on road as well.

I searched for a set of Nittos at Discount Tire and found them listed at $126 ea with free shipping. I then found them on Unser Tire's website where they listed for $113.50 ea. with free shipping. Since I have never dealt with Unser Tire, I contacted Discount Tire and asked if they price matched. They agreed too, so I ordered a set of the Nittos from them. (I will say the salesman at Discount Tire was shocked at how low Unser was selling them, but did agree to price match.) That being said, a set of 4 tires out the door with free shipping, ran me a total of $454. I ordered them on a Wednesday and had them at my door that following Friday.

Had a friend at my local Big 10 Tire cut me a break on mounting & balancing these new wheels and tires. Also had him install Static weights to give the face of the rim a cleaner look.

I have only had the wheels and tires mounted for one full week, but for the limited amount of use these tires have encountered, they have performed very well. I am very pleased thus far . I will say I have experienced a small amount of power loss due to the added weight of the tires and wheels, but it is minimal at best. I knew this would occur, but then again, I did not buy this 4Runner to save on gas or drive fast.

**Oh and just in case anyone asks, I have already sold my oem SE wheels. I have also sold my Garvin Wilderness roof rack as well. I recently sold it in order to purchase another style of rack.

I have attached a few Before & After pictures below.

Before & After:

Before & After:

Before & After:

Before & After:

Before & After:

Before & After:

Before & After:

Wheel & Tire Combo:

Two more pictures for good measure:

And as always, Thanks YT for fueling my addiction!

Last edited by Rock Slide; 08-21-2017 at 05:30 PM. Reason: added website address
Old 09-30-2007, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've been wondering when you were upgrading, congrats man looks sick! looks like your rake has been reversed though, what gives?
Old 09-30-2007, 02:38 PM

they look great, if i owned a set of trd rims i could never take them offroad.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RooRRunner
i've been wondering when you were upgrading, congrats man looks sick! looks like your rake has been reversed though, what gives?
Thanks! Yeah, I have been doing my best to wear down the old stockers . Wanted to get the most out of them before I upgraded.

Actually there is no rake. It is the illusion of the camera angle in conjunction with the larger tires. I did not take the picture on level ground, so I probably tried to over compensate and tilted the camera too much. The larger tires fill up the fender wells more too.

So nah, it still sits as it did before...but good eye though!
Old 09-30-2007, 02:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wait how come you took off your top lights? it looked really good with those on!!!
Old 09-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mattbaby24
they look great, if i owned a set of trd rims i could never take them offroad.
No kidding...I have done some very light duty trails here around town, but I do not know how long it will be before I decide to do some more challenging trails. These wheels and tires just look so good clean . I will eventually get out and get dirty, but definitely got to wear the new off first.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:47 PM

the new rims look great !!. good choice !
Old 09-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by infiltrator
wait how come you took off your top lights? it looked really good with those on!!!
I have decided to go a different route on racks. Do not get wrong, the Wilderness rack was and is a great rack. However, I have found another design I like much better. The Wilderness rack was more of an experiment of what is yet to come.

I kept all the lights in order to reuse them on my next basket. I'll post pics when the build begins...
Old 09-30-2007, 02:49 PM

Wheels and tires look great but, I definitely liked the look your roof rack and lights gave you, you should put them back on.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

I have never liked those wheels on anything but they look sweet on your runner. Very nice 100x better.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fastkevman
Wheels and tires look great but, I definitely liked the look your roof rack and lights gave you, you should put them back on.
I agree, but I have decided to go a different route on racks. This is not the end, only the beginning...

I will admit my truck looks like it just had it's head shaved. I am still trying to get use to it w/o the rack.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
You need to bring that pavement queen to my new shop...1600 sq ft...you only THINK you've starting modding it.

I chuckle every time I see your avatar.

I was wondering about the rack too.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
I agree, but I have decided to go a different route on racks. This is not the end, only the beginning...

I will admit my truck looks like it just had it's head shaved. I am still trying to get use to it w/o the rack.
I'll make sure the rack has a good home! Hopefully it looks as good on my truck...
Old 09-30-2007, 04:47 PM

Looks great!
Old 09-30-2007, 04:56 PM

Looks great, I agree it looks a little strange w/o the rack tho. BTW. congrats to your Auburn team... paves the way for my wildcats to beat up on UF too.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that is one of the most beautiful things i have ever seen! i'm a fan of the rack as well, can't wait to see what's next. every single thing on your truck is perfect and reading your mods it sounds like the guts match the greatness of the exterior. love that TJM, and what makes it even better is the Auburn plate! i rarely chime in to agree with 20 other people on how great some one's truck looks but your pics have made me weak in the knees, something to aspire to for sure!
thanks for sharing.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:05 PM

it looks so much better with those wheels and tires on it now! im interested in what rack you are going to put on it now though! be sure to take plenty of pics when you do take it out wheeling though!
Old 09-30-2007, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ravencraft
Looks great, I agree it looks a little strange w/o the rack tho. BTW. congrats to your Auburn team... paves the way for my wildcats to beat up on UF too.
hey now... auburn got lucky, and dont think for a second the wildcats are going to do anything against florida...
Old 10-01-2007, 04:59 AM

'Bama for Iron Bowl in '07!
Old 10-01-2007, 05:25 AM

Nice wheels! Although the little allen sockets look like they will be a pig to keep clean.

Quick Reply: New Wheels & Tires are On! *PICS*