Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New motor/supercharger with high temps

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can, reset the ECU back to the stock tune. If not then call URD and see what they say. I only messed with the 7th injector kit personally.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reset the ECU just by pressing the "reset ecu" on the R4's home screen? Seems simple enough right?
Old 08-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cpizzle42
Reset the ECU just by pressing the "reset ecu" on the R4's home screen? Seems simple enough right?
On the 7th injector setup this resets all the maps to zero, which is not what he wants. He wants to reset it back to the maps that URD put on it to start with.

Can't hurt at this point though.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:39 PM

Well this is really bringin the suck...

Hitting the reset button does not fix it. It does show 0 values for both fuel and timing maps.

If I try to hit read data from ecu(using gadget's map preloaded on the FTC going to ECU) it says it has problems communicating with ECU and wont do it it.

Still doing the same thing, start's right up, then dies right away. seems like it's getting no fuel.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Call URD tomorrow, i am sure they can get you sorted.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:44 PM

That's what i ll have to do.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:39 PM

Talked to gadget today, he said I need to buy a different USB cable from Bestbuy. Did that, $70 bucks later, same result.

He said that my map that he flashed on my FTC is corrupt. So I called a TTORA member, had him email me a map. Tried to write it to my ECU, and got the same communicating error.

Talked to guys at split second who make the R4 program, they dont know what's going on either.

My truck is still dead in the driveway with a brand new motor. Great.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

This is why i am not a fan of piggy backs and why i am a HUGE fan of meth injection for our trucks over them. You do need to be able to get methanol locally though to use it.

If that is not an option I much prefer the 7th injector kit over the fuel system since it is much less intrusive.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:54 PM

I am pretty sure I cant get it here legally. My buddy who has water meth in his coal burner says he has to order it online and pay big shipping costs.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

I am pretty sure I cant get it here legally. My buddy who has water meth in his coal burner says he has to order it online and pay big shipping costs.
I doubt it is illegal to get there, just hard to find most likely. Most big citys have it, i have at least a half dozen places within a 20 min drive to get it here.

Try the chemical supply places, race shops, dirt tracks, drag tracks, circle tracks, any kind of track really.

There is always getting it by the drum, costs a lot up front but will last you a good long time.

Getting the methanol is the only catch to using a meth injection system though. If that is not an option the 7th injector is what i would get ALL day long. I don't think there is any condition that i would get the fuel upgrade kit personally. If i got to the power level i needed that much fuel i would also most likely go stand alone.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:24 PM

Talked to gadget today, he said I need to buy a different USB cable from Bestbuy. Did that, $70 bucks later, same result.

He said that my map that he flashed on my FTC is corrupt. So I called a TTORA member, had him email me a map. Tried to write it to my ECU, and got the same communicating error.

Talked to guys at split second who make the R4 program, they dont know what's going on either.

My truck is still dead in the driveway with a brand new motor. Great.
Cpizzle,

I'm dealing w/a similar issue right now. I was running a TRD 7th Injector, and just switched to the URD electronics. When I hooked my laptop up to the URD box I got a very similar error. (I assume that you are using a USB to Serial converter as I am). I called Gadget and he gave me the same advice, that I should go to Best Buy and get their cable.

I think the problem is simple (assuming you are using a serial to USB converter). The cable that you are using does not have the correct drivers for your operating system. You simply need to locate a USB to Serial cable with the right drivers that will allow compatibility w/your laptop's OS. The problem w/mine was that I'm running windows 7 and the converter I had did not have drivers for Windows 7. I've done alot of research on these cables and from what I can tell, there are very few of them that actually work for this purpose.

I've ordered the two below, and I'm hoping at least one of them works. If not, I'll be looking into other options for adding a serial port to my laptop. When I spoke to Gadget, I asked him what method he used to connect to the URD controller and he told me that he had a PCI card installed on his laptop that added a serial port.

Keyspan USB to Serial Converter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000VYJRY

TRENDnet USB to Serial Converter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007T27H8
Old 08-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Contributing Member

I use that keyspan adapter with windows 7, works great, have not had a problem with it yet.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by BigFishAllDay
Cpizzle,

I'm dealing w/a similar issue right now. I was running a TRD 7th Injector, and just switched to the URD electronics. When I hooked my laptop up to the URD box I got a very similar error. (I assume that you are using a USB to Serial converter as I am). I called Gadget and he gave me the same advice, that I should go to Best Buy and get their cable.

I think the problem is simple (assuming you are using a serial to USB converter). The cable that you are using does not have the correct drivers for your operating system. You simply need to locate a USB to Serial cable with the right drivers that will allow compatibility w/your laptop's OS. The problem w/mine was that I'm running windows 7 and the converter I had did not have drivers for Windows 7. I've done alot of research on these cables and from what I can tell, there are very few of them that actually work for this purpose.

I've ordered the two below, and I'm hoping at least one of them works. If not, I'll be looking into other options for adding a serial port to my laptop. When I spoke to Gadget, I asked him what method he used to connect to the URD controller and he told me that he had a PCI card installed on his laptop that added a serial port.

Keyspan USB to Serial Converter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000VYJRY

TRENDnet USB to Serial Converter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007T27H8

Thanks for posting, it's good to know someone else is having the same problem. I am using a USB to serial converter. And it has a driver disk I installed on my computer. I dont see why I can connect with the ECU, but then not write or read data from the ECU.

How soon are you expecting to get your converters from amazon?

AND why is URD still using a MFING serial port if they know every laptop these days doesn't have a serial port.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:03 AM

Texas_Ace,

One of the reasons that I started looking into the Keyspan was because I read one of your posts about it working for you, so Thanks!

cpizzle,

My situation is exactly the same as yours. I was able to connect to the ECU as well, but when I tried to pull the pre-loaded map off the ECU I got the comm. error. I tried changing a bunch of settings on the USB>Serial converter, and had no luck. The original one that I used was from Radio Shack.

The new ones are supposed to be here by the 30th. I ordered them last weds, but for some reason Amazon has taken FOREVER to ship.

I'm not sure why URD chooses the serial port as the interface for their ECU's, but Gadget mentioned that it has become a big problem as laptops move away from serial ports and end user's are unable to interface w/the URD ECU's.

One thing you could try in the meantime is to locate/visit the website for the manufacturer of your USB>Serial converter and check to see if they have any updated drivers available for download. Usually the most up to date drivers don't make it onto the Install CD's in the retail packaging.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

The reason URD still uses serial ports is because split second is the one that actually makes the ECU's and they still use serial ports.

URD just puts their name on it. Some standalone are the same way, still use serial ports and they would not update them. Only in the last few years have USB stand alones started to come out in force.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:49 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm running a usb to serial cable from radioshack on windows 7 on my laptop and have no issues what so ever. I think its "gigabyte" brand. It came with some drivers on a cd and cost about 39.99
Old 08-31-2011, 09:10 PM

I tried using a laptop with windows 7, with radioshack gigaware cable AND it worked! The runner is back up and running.