New Craftsman Hydrolic Jack

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jwahaus
But you would think the factory supplied jack would be able to lift the
factory supplied tires off the ground.
Jack from the lower A-arm. When you jack from the frame you must take up all the suspension travel before the wheels leave the ground.

PS I got the 3.5 ton craftsman jack a couple weeks ago and couldnt be happier. I can jack from the frame and get the wheels up, but just barely. I'm going to make a spacer to get an extra 4" or so. My jack you turn the handle to lower.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:56 AM

It used to be that all Craftsman tools were guaranteed for life. Hand tools, power tools, lawn mowers, garage door openers, ANYTHING as long as it had the Craftsman name.

That includes torque wrenches. There are many times that I've taken mine to Sears to be tested and adjusted, free of charge.

However, thanks to the *new* economy, and the way Craftsman makes their tools now (they subcontract out, for example, right now Ryobi makes their routers) they cannot give the lifetime warranty anymore. The general rule of thumb is that if it is a hand tool it's lifetime warranty, a specialized tool or power tool 1 year (though that can vary widely).

My current craftsman catalog doesn't even say that jack is warranted, though on their website you can find out the exact warranty via e-mail.

If you even see an older Craftsman power tool for sale, pick it up - they are worth their weight in gold. They were really reliable and would put up with years of abuse. The same with their older hand tools. These days, their tools aren't quite up to the same standard (not even their hand tools, but at least you can still replace those for free).

~Bill

Last edited by Mystickal; 03-18-2004 at 12:57 AM. Reason: signature
Old 03-18-2004, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Darren
Another question about floor jacks:

I also picked up a Craftsman jack a couple weeks ago. I guess I couldn't tell on the box (or didn't think to look), but I am extremely disappointed in the valve location and the ease in which the handle can come off. What the heck?! I'm probably going to return it and keep searching.

Does anyone know of any brand of jacks where the valve is controlled by turning the whole handle, or by a mechanism such as a dial (for lack of better words) at the top of the handle?
I picked up a Michelin floor jack recently at Sams Club, only $59, has wide casters, one-pump to frame, turn handle to lower, and lift of 22 inches! I use it alot and it works great, I even use the little magnetic tray on it. I couldn't find it on their site but here's another site with it:
http://gateway.canadiantire.ca/drive...5524442936325_
Old 03-18-2004, 03:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Wild_Bill
I picked up a Michelin floor jack recently at Sams Club, only $59, has wide casters, one-pump to frame, turn handle to lower, and lift of 22 inches! I use it alot and it works great, I even use the little magnetic tray on it. I couldn't find it on their site but here's another site with it:
http://gateway.canadiantire.ca/drive...5524442936325_
I went to sears lastnight and could not believe it..no specials or sales on jacks right now...so I too went to SamsClub and picked up the same one for 59 bucks...it is a very cool jack...now to HF to pick up some jackstands and some wheel chocks

none of the sears jacks thay had there went over 21" for under $75..I missed out on the cool package that they had where everything came in the box that you'd ever need for jacking and then some for $100.

oh well..I like my little blue devil
Old 03-18-2004, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Herkengineer
I went to sears lastnight and could not believe it..no specials or sales on jacks right now...so I too went to SamsClub and picked up the same one for 59 bucks...it is a very cool jack...now to HF to pick up some jackstands and some wheel chocks
Strange, would have thought that all Sears' would have the same stuff on
sale. They also had a 2 ton 19" lift jack with 2 jack stands for $39. A good
deal but I wanted the higher lift. The SUV jack was 3 ton 21" with no stands.
I picked up 2 craftsman stands for $19.

Originally Posted by Herkengineer
oh well..I like my little blue devil
I looked at the one SAM's is carrying also and was tempted. It looked to
be a little better built. I didn't remember it having as high a lift. Damn,
memory failing me again. Getting old sux.

The replacement jack I got from Sears seems okay now. I think the original
had been dropped as the holder for the handle was bent on the original apart
from it leaking oil. I do like how Sears handles returns. I hate returning
anything at SAM's or especially at Wal-Mart. A real test of your patience
it is.