Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New "BruceTS" style 3rd Gen 4Runner rear bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always liked your design Bruce and I really want to use it as reference and make my own. But if you are going to sell a kit, it's worth waiting for IMO. Seems like there is plenty of interest in it. We'll be waiting...
Old 07-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bruce... updates?
Old 07-09-2005, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Not yet, was helping Lance with his rig. Also there has been alot of other personal stuff going on as well, so I haven't had much time. Hopefully soon, I'll be able to get rolling on this.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

Just a little update, the autoCAD work will be done by the company that's gonna fabricate the bumper. I don't have the time to do it myself. Besides they be able to make the needed changes to fit with their machinery. All the work from laser cutting, bending and welding will be done by them. This will happen, but I'm very busy at work, so I may have to wait for a few days off due to rain, before I can drop my bumper off for them to copy. I may end up doing the same with Lances bumper if this run goes well. I'm still shooting for a target price of $500, but until the prototyping is completed I won't know.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

Put me down for one!
Old 10-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BruceTS
Just a little update, the autoCAD work will be done by the company that's gonna fabricate the bumper. I don't have the time to do it myself. Besides they be able to make the needed changes to fit with their machinery. All the work from laser cutting, bending and welding will be done by them. This will happen, but I'm very busy at work, so I may have to wait for a few days off due to rain, before I can drop my bumper off for them to copy. I may end up doing the same with Lances bumper if this run goes well. I'm still shooting for a target price of $500, but until the prototyping is completed I won't know.

Tire carrier?
Old 10-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dragr1
Tire carrier?
No tire carrier yet, but eventually I'll have a kit that can be retrofitted to the bumper, but first let me get this into production. Once I drop off the bumper and the autoCAD drawings are completed, I'll have more details, i'm still undecided on a few design changes. We'll see what the programmer comes up with first.....
Old 10-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

No tire carrier yet, but eventually I'll have a kit that can be retrofitted to the bumper, but first let me get this into production. Once I drop off the bumper and the autoCAD drawings are completed, I'll have more details, i'm still undecided on a few design changes. We'll see what the programmer comes up with first.....

That's cool. I'll be watching for pics. I've got some ideas for a very strong tire carrier for me that won't be using the hinge that always seems to be breaking on everyone.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

I've already designed the tire carrier, it will be using two delrin hinges, so there is no problems with breakage. Lance's rig will have one made similar to what I have in mind, very soon.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Bruce
You know how much time I spent looking at your bumper at Big Bear this summer so you know I will want one also. I will watch this for updates. How is the Gas tank coming? You are one busy guy. Any lingering issues from the Honda guy that was on the wrong side of the road and got a really good look at your MTR's in Big Bear?
Old 10-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
Bruce
You know how much time I spent looking at your bumper at Big Bear this summer so you know I will want one also. I will watch this for updates. How is the Gas tank coming? You are one busy guy. Any lingering issues from the Honda guy that was on the wrong side of the road and got a really good look at your MTR's in Big Bear?
His insurance company called and wanted my side of the story, so I sent an e-mail with photo's, they wrote back the next day, thanking me for a quick response and since I wasn't claiming any damages, the case was closed.

The fuel tank is next on my list, ironically I test fitted under Lance's rig and it fit perfectly, so now I'll be making two at the same time. This became a priority since I developed a leak in mine and epoxy putty is sealing it up till my new tank is ready, unfortunately no rockcrawling til it's built!

Once I get the final prototype bumper design ready for production, I will put together a group buy, this should help keep the cost down, I just don't want to say too much til I get some hard figures from the manufacturer.

Last edited by BruceTS; 10-10-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

Just another update..... I have an appointment at 1:30 today with the manufacturer. I have a few ideas that we will discuss, Ideally I want to make a bumper that is completely bolt on, that will be adjustable from 0-2" of body lift. Worst case scenerio, this will be a kit, with the wings welded to the main beam, a cut out for the hitch and separate frame mounts, so each end user can have it welded to fit.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

I like the idea of having it welded especially if some people will use it for towing.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

I'll take it any way I can get it if the price is right.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:27 PM
Banned

i wish i could get one for the 4th gen. .... i know lance's was a lot of work, so i take it you really aren't planning on doing any more of those?
Old 10-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

Just dropped off my bumper and should have a quote in the next few days. Most likely, I'll have 20 bumpers in the first run, it really depends on how many pieces can be fitted per sheet. Looks like I'll be making the bumper very close to the original, if so I'll leave the frame mounts separate so the end user can weld them to fit. This will be sold as a kit, unless you live near me, then I can install it for you.

r0cky if all goes well, I may do the same with Lance's bumper, but there's a few more steps involve with the 4th gen. A fiberglass filler piece that needs to be color matched above the bumper and the back section of the frame has to be cut off. Because of this, I doubt there will be as much intrest.

Last edited by BruceTS; 10-19-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
bruce,

now i know what my christmas gift will be this year!

you rock, man. you rock!

bob
Old 10-19-2005, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

...unless you live near me, then I can install it for you.
Sweet!
Old 10-19-2005, 02:11 PM
Banned

r0cky if all goes well, I may do the same with Lance's bumper, but there's a few more steps involve with the 4th gen. A fiberglass filler piece that needs to be color matched above the bumper and the back section of the frame has to be cut off. Because of this, I doubt thre will be as much intrest.
I still would do pretty much anything to get ahold of your style rear bumper. I'm not worried about cutting off a section of the frame or doing fiberglass filler pieces. Just something better than this plastic bumper crap ... you should see how torn up it is from offroading ... there are chunks of it peeling off. And the body lift is causing it all to fit in a way very unideal.

That said, I'll just keep my eye out for any time in the future that you might be interested in doing another 4th gen. bumper ... I do have access to a welder and friends to help, so even just a kit with the pieces would be worth so much to me.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by r0cky
I still would do pretty much anything to get ahold of your style rear bumper. I'm not worried about cutting off a section of the frame or doing fiberglass filler pieces. Just something better than this plastic bumper crap ... you should see how torn up it is from offroading ... there are chunks of it peeling off. And the body lift is causing it all to fit in a way very unideal.
Be aware that cutting that rear frame (you're looking at a good 6-9" and I'd say closer to 9") means not going back to stock ever. It'll be a big blow when you first cut that piece btw so think about this one as you don't want to regret it later on just because that plastic piece was getting in the way.

That fiberglass was hell btw. i will NEVER EVER do that EVER again. can you tell I'm not too fond of that stuff? :cry:

If you want, I can post photos of what it looks like w/o the bumper and also what's left of the rear crossmember. Once you look at that, you'll get a better idea of how much and what was needed.

Quick Reply: New "BruceTS" style 3rd Gen 4Runner rear bumpers