Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My first 4Runner MOD!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang that's sweet! Bet you are lovin that.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice, but that would too tempting for local thieves for sure...

Old 02-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Nice. Two decks in on HU like the Eclipse AVN2454 someone here recommended to me here. I NEVER did find it in a store though. I like to see things in person before I but em.

http://www.diald.com/CoolMiscStuff/Eclipse_avn2454.htm

What to buy what to buy? I think I may break down for the OEM one and not the Eclipse. I just need to find time to read up on this now.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 02-27-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38653

Isn't this what you would just ground the radio to some place other than to the shifter?
Old 03-05-2005, 03:34 AM
Contributing Member

Bumped up top since I may order it today...I just don't want to forget since I am having a problem sleeping.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
Bumped up top since I may order it today...I just don't want to forget since I am having a problem sleeping.
Are you getting the OEM NAV? If so.. good choice...
Old 03-05-2005, 07:38 AM

Just a question. I have an sr5. Do you guys think it would be an easy switch if I got the limited temp controls? Is it pretty much a simple swapout, or are the plugs on the back different?
Old 03-11-2005, 03:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Are you getting the OEM NAV? If so.. good choice...
You know what? I was thinking... This is a stock radio, and stock radios usually can't compare to the specs of aftermarket. I think I am going to bite the bullet and order one today. Either the OEM or the Eclipse AVN2454, I am still undecided. Need to get cracking with a spec check. I want the OEM just cause it's OEM

EDIT: I can't find specs on it anywhere

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 03-11-2005 at 03:32 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:47 AM
Contributing Member

"The model number on the front of the Camry navigation - E7003, it is a Denso product (not by Fujitsu Ten, manufacturer of sienna head unit). In the user guide, it does not explain what SAT is, it just treated the "AM / SAT" button as the AM band."

Fujitsu Ten = maker of Eclipse HU's

From: http://www.siennaclub.org/forum/inde...showtopic=3034
Old 03-11-2005, 03:53 AM
Contributing Member

You know what? I was thinking... This is a stock radio, and stock radios usually can't compare to the specs of aftermarket. I think I am going to bite the bullet and order one today. Either the OEM or the Eclipse AVN2454, I am still undecided. Need to get cracking with a spec check. I want the OEM just cause it's OEM

the eclipse is a peice of junk. I know b/c i was the first person in Va to have one. JUNK. It puts out less than 1 volt. You cannot switch between a cd and Dvd. that is you cannot watch a DVD and listen to a CD. the only combo you can do is navigation w/ CD or radio. If the navi is working the DVD drive doesn't work.
I know most don't care about playing a movie and listening to music, but there are some times. kids, camping, etc.

So with that said, beware of a POS. For the $$ you can get so many other better units,
I will say the only nice thing about the Eclipse is the double DIN-factory look. That is what sold me, but it IS NOT enough of a reason to buy an inferior sounding head unit.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:56 AM
Contributing Member

I was weary about that 1 volt issue. But what can a "factory" OEm radio be pushing? The 4Runner model may be made by the same company that makes the Eclipse. I DO want a double din, no question. You happen to know of something I may not know of besides the Kenwood?
Old 03-11-2005, 04:40 AM
Contributing Member

I was weary about that 1 volt issue. But what can a "factory" OEm radio be pushing? The 4Runner model may be made by the same company that makes the Eclipse. I DO want a double din, no question. You happen to know of something I may not know of besides the Kenwood?
I went through this for awhile. Plus, my good friend runs a local audio store, so I got the "real" info, not the sales pitch. As of now, Personally I don't like any double DIN screeens. That being said I had to compromise. I ended up with a Pioner DVH-7500. Single Din fould-out unit. When spending over 2k I expect something above and beyond. The Pioneer(either 7500, 6500 or avic-n1) would be a great choice. They sound great and work as a true head uni to select between ALL sources.
I had to give up on a double DIN b/c for the $$$ there is nothing that is really good--when compared to other fold-out units.
hope this helps.
When my 7500 is closed, it really looks stock w/ an extra pocket.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:06 AM
Contributing Member

not to hijack, but does anyone know if there is a big difference in sound between the jbl and non jbl head units? I will be upgrading my sound system soon, new speakers, but want to keep the look stock.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:01 AM

My 4Runner's Camry OEM NAV is a made by Denso, not Fujitsu ten. The amplifier for driving the speakers is the standard JBL one that is used by the stock head unit, it's plug and play into the amp from the NAV. The SAT button is used for XM. The Denso can also take a Camera input, voice input, XM, Video, iPod, and probably a few other things.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
I went through this for awhile. Plus, my good friend runs a local audio store, so I got the "real" info, not the sales pitch. As of now, Personally I don't like any double DIN screeens. That being said I had to compromise. I ended up with a Pioner DVH-7500. Single Din fould-out unit. When spending over 2k I expect something above and beyond. The Pioneer(either 7500, 6500 or avic-n1) would be a great choice. They sound great and work as a true head uni to select between ALL sources.
I had to give up on a double DIN b/c for the $$$ there is nothing that is really good--when compared to other fold-out units.
hope this helps.
When my 7500 is closed, it really looks stock w/ an extra pocket.
A single DIN NAV screen? No way, Double DIN for view street maps while driving is great.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:06 AM

I am a firm believer in stockprojektz...bringing dignity to tuning. Basically, I'll basically modify my cars to suit me, but not alter their appearance or driveability. With that being said I've never liked the flip out display aftermarket headunit's or NAV's. If you're going with an aftermarket headunit it doesn't matter how much power it puts out unless you're going to rewire all the speakers because they are connected to the JBL amp already. The headunit (stock or Dense NAV) just provide a pre-out to that amp. Wiring in a car is one thing I will certainly not modify in any way.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I am really close to pulling the trigger on a stock Camry NAV unit. My only concern (as simple as it sounds) is the visible opening above the faceplate. I am fine with modifying the stereo surround but wonder if there is another way to make the transition cleaner.

Any thoughts?

Andreas
Old 03-11-2005, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

i agreee, thats the only thing holding me back from getting the camry unit, having to cut into the surround, as you can see behind the dash from an angle. I was thinking of going to a kenwood excelron, but I like the stock look/features better.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Is the problem that you have to slip the stereo surround over the NAV screen to install? And because of that, the opening needs to be opened up to allow for the width of the NAV screen?

How about disconnecting the actual screen, installing the surround, and then re-installing the screen? Too complicated? Or is it a depth issue?

Andreas
Old 03-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

i think you would probably still have a gap between the surround and the faceplate (where the cd slots are) it looks like the cd slot plate is recessed. correct me if im wrong, ive never seen one of these units in person. I bet you could get a good body shop to make the areas you cut rounded off like in the stock opening, and add some plastic where theres a gap, dont know how much someone would charge for that though.

Last edited by dibble9012; 03-11-2005 at 08:23 AM.

Quick Reply: My first 4Runner MOD!!!!