Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

mp3 carputer

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mp3 carputer

I was wondering if anyone has put a computer into their car to listen to mp3/cds and watch Dvds on a flat screen.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:18 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Check this out!

Here's a thread to check out:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ht=LCD+screens

You might also try a search at the bottom of the forum.

Hope this helps!

Brian
Old 08-11-2003, 08:04 AM

I'll be doing this as soon as my lift is done.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a system put together and recently pulled it and sold it all on eBay. Some of the background info is on my site up here:

http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/pc.html

The short form for me is that while I wanted it to be able to use MP3s and WMAs in the truck, I also wanted it to be able to drive my ODB II PC interface, support my piggyback performance computer, and act as a GPS system. Note that these are all things requiring text to be read off of the screen.

When I got everything put together, I found that a 5" monitor just wasn't clear enough to be useful fo reading things like performance numbers and managing files with Windows Explorer.

I installed a couple of variations on a theme of "magnifier" apps which enlarge the text that the mouse was hovering over, and this worked, but it got to be a pain to use day-to-day.

I also bought a 7" monitor, but at that size, there was limited space in the truck where I could put it. I really didn't want it up high, and down low I found that it would constantly interfere with using low gear.

I thought about replacing my in-dash head unit with one that had a LCD monitor built in, but I again felt that I was creating excuses to keep the system, and things were getting pretty expensive as it was.

If you read my page, I kinda' "lost" the first computer to some issues with a dealer that offered to have it serviced. I was out the cost of that machine, plus $160 in service charges - the machine is no where to be found and the dealer has kinda' fallen off the face of the Earth.

I ended up biting the bullet and starting over ( REALLY wanted to give this a shot) so I bought _another_ PC, added a harddrive and a DVD-ROM drive. All in all, I spent about $1100 trying to make this work, but to do it all again from scratch, you're looking at about $700 for the PC, drive, finger mouse, small keyboard, FM modulator, a _GOOD_ monitor (ONLY use TFT). Pricing will vary of course depending on eBay, what you get for a PC, how much drive space you want, etc.

It's a neat concept, and liek that other thread shows, it works well for many folks. But for me, with the additional usues I wanted out of it, it just wasn't the right answer.

Good luck!

Mark
Old 08-11-2003, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

Dang Mark,

Once I get around to doing something like that you can expect massive amounts of e-mail from me

If it ever happens...
Old 08-11-2003, 09:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
Once I get around to doing something like that you can expect massive amounts of e-mail from me

If it ever happens...
tee-hee.

Yeah, for something "fairly straight forward" it can really turn into a lot of "fun".

If I was JUST looking to run MP3/WMA/DVD, then I probably would have kept it together. One thing that can take a lot of work is getting the PC setup. Using the Cappuccino boxes (http://www.cappuccinopc.com/) can really make things "easy", but it's even cooler if you have a home network setup and a KVM switch. That made configuring the machine, loading software and ripping CD's to it a lot easier.

A tip... Run Windows 98SE and then apply 98 Lite on top of it (http://www.98lite.net/). That can help make the system [i]VERY[//i] snappy in general and boot much quicker. There's no real reason to run Win2k or WinXP on a system like this. Keep it small, lite and fast.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

http://www.mp3car.com - Awesome forum for doing this type of project. Been around since 1999 I think.

Quick Reply: mp3 carputer