Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

more lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more lift

well sometime in the next couple weeks im planning on installing the front diff drop kit, lifting the front another inch, and installing some 2.5" lift daystar shackles i have.

is there anything i should watch out for?? shims will be going in to account for the pinion angle, and the exhaust pipe is going to be cut... does the brake proportioning valve or whatever it is have to be lowered? anything else?

anyone know the legality of 4.5" lift, with the larger tires... my back bumper will probably be about 6" higher than stock.

thanks for any comments and i will be sure to get some pics up soon.... that brings up another question. can i post the pics i have on my harddrive on here or do i have to put them onto a website or something?
Old 09-15-2003, 02:19 PM

bump.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:52 PM

Re: more lift

Originally posted by rowan
is there anything i should watch out for?? shims will be going in to account for the pinion angle, and the exhaust pipe is going to be cut... does the brake proportioning valve or whatever it is have to be lowered? anything else?
what you might want to do is get an idea of what the angle of the brake prop valve looks like on a stock taco then you can just fab up a bracket from a scrap piece of metal (just cut to length, drill some holes and bolt her up)

anyone know the legality of 4.5" lift, with the larger tires... my back bumper will probably be about 6" higher than stock.
i think it varies from town to town. some cops might hassle you others probably wont care (just my experience). i doubt you'll run into any problems with the law unless you decide to take off your bumper completely ( i knew a guy that did that with his lifted '91 toyota and got tickets for it)

thanks for any comments and i will be sure to get some pics up soon.... that brings up another question. can i post the pics i have on my harddrive on here or do i have to put them onto a website or something?
if you want you can just upload pics to the yotatech site when you post a message.........only drawback is limited file size and people have to click on a link to see the pics.

when you see someone that has the actual picture showing in their post its because they have the pics posted on a free album somewhere on the web (yahoo or something like it) and they add the link to show the pic in the message with html i believe. i think if you search the boards you can find at least one other person that has asked how to do it and got a better explaination than i can give you.

hope this helps a little........later
Old 09-15-2003, 08:43 PM

Re: more lift

Originally posted by rowan
well sometime in the next couple weeks im planning on installing the front diff drop kit, lifting the front another inch, and installing some 2.5" lift daystar shackles i have.

i did a quick google and came up with this website for lift laws in each state we have it easy here in florida (GVW over 5000 lbs nothing applies) but you guys in maine phew....

http://www.customtruckshowcase.com/laws/StateLaws.html

Jason
Old 09-16-2003, 04:57 PM

MAINE

Headlights: Don't even think about going higher than 54 inches. However, keep in mind that the original suspension cannot be "disconnected," but don't let that stop you from bolting on heavy-duty shocks and overload springs. Other need-to-knows: Don't remove or disconnect the ABS, and the tires can only be two sizes larger than the manufacturer's recommendation. Spring-shackle extensioins are also a no-no.
uh-oh. i didn't read that i guess. i dont think i will get hastled for that.

edit: thanks for the input guys! (sorry, forgot that )

Last edited by rowan; 09-16-2003 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:13 PM

ive seen some guys in maine with some pretty insane looking trucks and they dont get bothered.............i wouldn't worry

unless you're planning on adding 12+ inches of lift and running 44 inch super swampers on your rig, i doubt you'll have any issues with the police.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:50 PM

yeah. the problem is that my dad wants it to be legal. it is still his truck really. (im 17). but i say its legal enough. ill just pay if i do get a fine. (Which i dont think i will)

thanks for the input.