Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Mock my post please

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mock my post please

I was wondering if manual hubs would improve gas milage because there would be less moving parts? I might get some if this would be true, is it noticealbe diffrence?

And has anyone enginneered a way to have a push button disconnecting sway bar and push button reconnect?

I have an idea of making one but I doubt it would last. I was thinking of using a door actuator to move a pin in and out of a sway bar linkage. But i dont know how the actuators would last undernear a car with offroading in mind.

Any better ways to do it?
Old 07-28-2003, 10:29 PM

Some people swear they gain gas mileage with manual hubs, but any gain is small at best. I seem to remember someone building a remote disconnected swaybar but I think they had too much slop in the mechanism so it didn't work very well. Oh ya, what's a swaybar again? I seem to be missing mine.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:13 PM
Banned

Manual hubs might help fuel economy. They deffinatly help save ware on the moving parts mentioned.

Its interesting that you are thinking manual hubs and push button swaybar disconects in the same moment. If you are getting out to do the hubs it wouldn't be too much harder to pull a pin on a quick disconnect while you are out there by the front end.

BTW my swaybar was been retired also.

You have a rear swaybar on your Runner. The rear one is enough for many drivers, however in some states you will not pass inspection if the front one is removed. I suspect Massachusets is one of those states.

Last edited by jx94148; 07-28-2003 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4runner4ever has an electrically disconnecting swaybar (not sure if front or rear) that he pulled off something in the salvage yard in Europe. Not sure if you can see it in his latest pic posts.