Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's

I got my MTZ's mounted yesterday and the weather cleared up today for me to take some pics and get em all cleaned up.

My first impression, un-freaking-believable. These tires, IMO, blow the BFG's out of the stinkin' water. I have had two consecutive sets of BFG M/T's (one on my '95 and this past set on my '99) and I have to say, these have ALREADY outperformed the BFG's.

The first thing I noticed was the obvious change in appearance. These tires are much more aggressive and tough looking than the BFG's ever had a prayer of looking. The sidewalls are beefy and the tread itself looks so tough. The angled and siped lugs are bigger than the BFG's lugs and with them being siped, I can only imagine that the wet/ice/snow traction will be much better.

The second thing I noticed the minute I hit the asphalt outside the shop's garage was the ride quality. With both sets of my BFG's I had fairly bad vibrations when rolling at a slow speed. Anywhere from 1mph to about 15mph I had a bad shake in the rig. Due to this vibration I was getting an extremely loud sound coming from the rear of my Runner, I had tried to diagnose it for months. It was a metal on metal buzzing/clanking. Once I got my MTZ's...the vibration is gone, thus, the dreaded sound that had PLAGUED me for months is now gone as well. It literally feels as if I am riding in a completely different 4Runner. I could not be happier with the initial ride quality.

The thrid thing I noticed was the decrease in road noise. What I should say is, DRASTIC decrease in road noise. With my BFG's I could hear the roar of the M/T anytime I was moving...be it city, highway, parking lots, drive-thru's, etc... With my MTZ's, the only time I ever hear them is on the highway with my windows down. The only sound I hear in the cab now is the sound of my Vortex.

The fourth thing I noticed was a difference in ride quality when moving faster and hitting moderately sized bumps. With the BFG's I felt every bump in the road, granted I didn't feel them violently but every bump I felt, regardless. With the MTZ's, smaller, more "washboardy" bumps I hardly feel anymore. Bigger, more moderately sized bumps I still feel but they are much more smooth. The MTZ's overall feel "softer" than the BFG's.

Overall, I am more than pleased with these tires. I cannot see myself ever going back to the BFG's. This is coming from a diehard BFG fan since day one. As long as these stay this way I will forever look to these as my choice for an M/T tire.

Just for a reference I had both my BFG's and the MTZ's filled to the same pressure when doing the tests. I orginally had my BFG's aired up to 35psi but during my testing I aired them down to 30psi. I now have my MTZ's aired up to 30psi as well to ensure I get a good comparison.

Now for the good stuff:

Note the aggressive tread pattern

Close-up

Check out that tread!

What a stance...

Classic pose

Best pic IMO

Thanks for lookin' guys!

Fink
Old 05-03-2007, 01:23 PM

Lookin great!

WHats the price difference between the two. My A/T's are wearin out and i was thinkin BFG's M/T
Old 05-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

BFG M/T's run about $200, all depends on where you go. I got these MTZ's for about $186 per tire.

I HIGHLY recommend these!

Fink
Old 05-03-2007, 01:31 PM

Looks great, and good write up.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:36 PM

what size are those? They do look nice minus the shine. mud looks better.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

can you say sexy?....well i can.

SEXY!
Old 05-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Haha...thanks for the compliments guys!

I do agree, mud looks better...give it a few weeks and they'll get broken in.

Fink
Old 05-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

I have these also, and totally agree with all the points Fink has made. However, I've not ridden or driven with the BFG's, so my views are of just these tires. Looks great Fink!
Old 05-03-2007, 02:33 PM

That's a bad ass Runner!!!! Totally looks agressive! What wheels are those?? They look sweet on your ride. Let us know the performance offroad!
Old 05-03-2007, 02:41 PM

Glad to see someone else has these. I picked mine up for $600 shipped to my door. 31x10.50x15's. Great on the road and in the mud. The aggressive look is so nice.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

You know I love my 305's glad you finally got them bro look good and like I said it's time to go wheelin

Anthony
Old 05-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Fink, those look great.

You know, when I was trying to find out who made my Dick Cepek Mountain Cats (distributed only through Les Schwab Tire Centers), I was told that Cooper made them, and also Cooper makes the Micky Thompson tires, as I called them up and talked with them.

Look at the similarity of our tread patterns.

They look pretty close to me.
Mine ride smooth too, almost as smooth as the stock FJ tires.
But, mine are noisy, but I do not mind, I like the low hum.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:05 PM

Tires look Siiiick.
Have you used your D-rings to pull on anything before? It looks like you might have a problem with the lower bumper valence
Old 05-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all the comps guys!

I have never used the front shackles, there is a chance I may run into the valence but I haven't tested em out yet...it'll depend on the angle.

Corey, that's crazy! Great find.

Fink
Old 05-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Hey guys, check this thread out. I need to figure this out A.S.A.P. so that my new ones don't have this same problem.

Thanks,

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/tire-tread-problem-114832/

Fink
Old 05-03-2007, 05:17 PM

Keep us updated on the off road performance. I want to know if they will beat out the bfgs there too!
Old 05-03-2007, 05:31 PM

Love the tires - very sweet ride. I've been debating between those and Toyo Open Country M/T's for my '00.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:38 PM

i like them too, i was thinking about the bfg m/t's but hear they are bad in winter...anyone know about the MTZ?????
Old 05-03-2007, 06:50 PM

I love them as well. I am using bead balancing and they have been better than i could have ever imagined. Offroad capability thus far has been perfect and on road has been amazing in comparison to my MTR's i had before! They ride smooth and are relatively quiet for an aggressive tire. Wear seems very smooth with 5000 miles so far!

PS: If your not using "dynabeads" in your tires... your an idiot! Weight balancing on the machine sucks in comparison!
Old 05-04-2007, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Talking

I think somebody asked what size they were...sorry I missed your post last time. They are 285/75R16.

Thanks again for the comps,

Fink

Quick Reply: Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's