Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Manual Hub Kit for $700 ??? Would you buy it ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Waiting

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Ok after eating lunch and thinking about it, I really am not looking to re-sell stuff, I want to make stuff.

So how about I tell you exacly what you need from the junk yard and exaclty what you need new from the dealer and if you have trouble installing it, you could send the stuff to me to get you past the hard part.

So......................................

You like?
I LOVE IT! Englighten me with knowledge, part numbers etc., as getting it put together won't be a problem. You got any pics?

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 04-15-2004 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ducky
Here's my take on manual hubs...

1) your CV's arent turning all the time... which means less wear on the boots and the axles... expecially at high angles (any sort of lift)

2) Some say better gas mileage... I have doubts and I was close to not even listing this...

3) Say your out on a trail... you break a CV, you dont have manual hubs... you dont have a spare... your screwed... call the flat bed... If you have manual hubs, just make sure its not hanging (the broken part) and unlock and limp out in 2wd or have someone pull you out...

Now thats just what I heard on #3... Im willing to be proven wrong.
Your right on number 3. I broke an ORS axle on the White whale rock in the last CO4RJ. I pulled the outboard joint out, sealed it with a cap to a grease canister, and then zip tied the rest of the axle to the coil. It worked out great. I still have the ARB cranking, so I completed the rest of the trail in 3wheel drive.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Ya all are gonna need a press to get the sealed bearing in. Thats the toughest part.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:24 PM
Banned

Talking Press

Originally Posted by SteveO
Ya all are gonna need a press to get the sealed bearing in. Thats the toughest part.
A press you say, I think here at the fab shop we might have few lying around.

Old 04-15-2004, 12:27 PM

So.......
If I had manual hubs and I left them locked, it would essentially be the same as what I have now in my stock '00? Is that right?
I can be teached!
Mike
Old 04-15-2004, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by goldtaco9
So.......
If I had manual hubs and I left them locked, it would essentially be the same as what I have now in my stock '00? Is that right?
I can be teached!
Mike
Locked hubs.... same as what you have now... always turning...

Unlocked hubs... spins at the wheel, axles do not turn.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Having manual hubs on my '01 has always been at the top of my "wish list," but ORS' prices have been too high for me. I lack any shop equipment and would have to bring the parts to a local shop. Between your bumper and hopefully manual hub kit, I'll be watching for the next sale.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/junk_yard_manual_hubs.html
Old 04-15-2004, 01:53 PM
Banned

Talking Many thanks!

As always Steve, YOU DA MAN! Muchas gracias senor! This is going to be my next project...

Some pics of all those parts would be helpful as well for rookie mechanics such as myself!

Old 04-15-2004, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
As always Steve, YOU DA MAN! Muchas gracias senor! This is going to be my next project...

Some pics of all those parts would be helpful as well for rookie mechanics such as myself!

Pics will cost you.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

So whos willing to go to the junk yard and dig this stuff up for me?
Old 04-15-2004, 02:57 PM
Banned

Talking Huh?

Pics will cost you.
And that is because of???

Old 04-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

And that is because of???

The free ride off Schaefer has to end somewhere.

How about an insall video? $$$

Old 04-15-2004, 06:18 PM

In a word? Yes. I'd like to do this in a month or two.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:23 AM
Banned

Talking Free ride

The free ride off Schaefer has to end somewhere.

How about an insall video? $$$
Perhaps you might consider looking at it as sharing your knowledge with those of us who'd like to learn instead of as a free ride. My reasoning was that if you had taken the time to document the conversion by writing down part numbers, then you probably taken the time to snap some pictures as well and that to post them would be just a tad bit more effort. No, need for a video, black and white 8x10s will work fine!

P.S. Thank you for the parts list. That will be a good starting place.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:53 AM
Contributing Member

Perhaps you might consider looking at it as sharing your knowledge with those of us who'd like to learn instead of as a free ride.
Here the problem. I'm spending huge amounts of money on project after project and then telling everyone how to do it cheaper. Even providing plans and drawings of tested finalized parts.

No one else besides Steve Hunt is doing this. He helped me with the leaf swap and that is great, but you have to look at it from my side as well. I paid ORS $1300 including the parts for a spare axle and then 3 boot kits on top of that. Now I'm handing this to you folks as a 100% fool proof solution for less than half of what I paid.

All those $700's add up. Jeff did work out the spidertrax arms which was very nice as well.

It would just be nice if I could benefit from some other people, Suspension wise, like folks benefit from me. Cornbred sends people to my site to help with the install.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:04 AM
Contributing Member

Gaylon did help with the bumpstop too. He should get credit for that. It does not directly benefit me but it did turn into a product.

The other thing about the actual "install" is that this conversion is a hard core drive train modification. It is without a doubt on par with installing gears or a locker. Installing a lockright locker would actually be easier. I am hessitant to provide install directions because of the magnatude of the equipment involved.

ORS provides this statement: "Although installation of this kit is fairly straightforward, Off Road Solutions strongly recommends installation by a qualified professional due to the heavy amount of hydraulic press work."

This hits the nail on the head. The first time Mark Mason an 18 Year vetran Ford Mechanic steered the ship, the Second time Vernon Smith a 33 year vetran Toyota Mechanic helped us when we got stuck.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:10 AM
Banned

Talking I understand

Here the problem. I'm spending huge amounts of money on project after project and then telling everyone how to do it cheaper. Even providing plans and drawings of tested finalized parts.

No one else besides Steve Hunt is doing this. He helped me with the leaf swap and that is great, but you have to look at it from my side as well. I paid ORS $1300 including the parts for a spare axle and then 3 boot kits on top of that. Now I'm handing this to you folks as a 100% fool proof solution for less than half of what I paid.

All those $700's add up. Jeff did work out the spidertrax arms which was very nice as well.

It would just be nice if I could benefit from some other people, Suspension wise, like folks benefit from me. Cornbred sends people to my site to help with the install.
I hope you realize I'm trying not to be sarcastic, that I am serious. I completely understand what you are saying and I can appreciate your situation. Yet, the majority of the folks on this forum don't have access to $$$ or the equipment or the brain power to pioneer modifications as some of you are doing. Gosh, I wish I had the time to do such things! I've got the $$$ and access to the equipment and I'm not afraid to try it on my own when I have time, it's just the engineer mentality in me that likes to cross all the (t)s and dot all the (i)s before I jump in, thus my request. I have yet to have a mod that didn't just go perfect, and I don't intend to start now.

I for one have learned a great deal from your sharing, and you know what I'm talking about, so don't think there aren't people here who don't appreciate what you do. I'm sure there are many.

But also remember, most of the folks who have truly pioneered causes have died penniless and alone and were only recognized for their greatness after they were gone.

Old 04-16-2004, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

If you can install an ATS arm you can pull the sprindles.
I almost feel like it was aimed at me.

Last edited by bobzemuda; 04-16-2004 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:29 AM
Contributing Member

So steve, your not going to offer the whole kit for $700 anymore? b/c I reeally don't have time to be digging through junkyards, and running to the dealer picking up parts, and then sitting at home trying to put an axle together. I would rather just have a reasonably priced kit that I can order, and then just bolt on as a weekend project. and if this is something that falls in that $700 range, then I would most likely get it.

Quick Reply: Manual Hub Kit for $700 ??? Would you buy it ???