Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Low Beam Headlight problem.

Old 06-08-2003, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Beam Headlight problem. Pic included.

My 93 V6 4x4 P/U is having a bit of a problem.

My lowbeams won't come on. High beams work but low beams and drl's don't.

For some reason now my side markers light up. They never used to. They only flashed when the alarm system was armed/disarmed.

The other night I noticed they would not come on after leaving the house. I pulled over and gave them each (the headlight housing) a whack and they came back on and stayed on, even after turning off the truck and the lights and trying them again.

Now last night, leaving from the brother-in-laws place, they would not come on, only the side markers would. I checked all the fuses and they came up good. The larger style fuse in the underhood fuse panel doesn't have an indicator whether or not the fuse is blown (larger square, brown relay/fuse) It is the one that clicks when you switch the lights on and off.

Could that relay/fuse be the problem??
Suffice to say it was a dark drive home, illuminated by only my 55watt amber fog lights.

Also, possibly related. My passenger side front signal light is noticably dimmer than the drivers side during signalling or even when the 4 way flashers are going. I have replaced and swapped the bulbs and still the same thing.

ALSO (again) may be possibly related, when signalling to turn right, the signal blinks normal and then rapidly as I negotiate the turn and returns to it's normal blink rate when the turn is @ 2/3rd's completed. This only happens when turning to the right.

These are minor annoyances but being the picky driver I am, hence I drive a Toyota, I would like these problems remedied.

Any suggestions?

Or anyone experiencing similar problems?

Hey, thanks in advance for reading this long winded post. I promise I will make a movie next time.
Attached Thumbnails Low Beam Headlight problem.-front-end.jpg  

Last edited by Lethal; 06-09-2003 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:15 PM

problems.

a guess to your problem would be a bad ground at your headlights and at the right side turner signal. Just a guess .
Old 06-09-2003, 10:43 AM

nope grounds are good. checked them and all fuses, no knicks or kinks in the lines. everything seems tight and basically correct. can't figure it out and I WILL NOT take it to the stealership unless I know the problem because they misdiagnose the problem so many times and their $98 per hour rate is too much for how little they know.

Any other suggestions please?

Having a night time curfew kinda sucks.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lethal, awesome looking rig. I'm no electrical guru, but the one thing you mentioned that sounds fishy is the steering wheel motion adding to the problem. Since the switch controlling everything you describe as faulty runs through the steering column, could a wire be making an intermittent ground or short inside the light switch or harness that runs through the column? Diagnosing electrics can be tough (and expensive if a dealer does it), but try removing what covers you can for a good visual inspection and cleaning of connections inside the steering wheel housing area. CAREFUL WITH THE AIRBAG CONNECTORS! Good luck, at least we have daylight until 9 PM!