Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

looking for a diesel landcruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for a diesel landcruiser?

There is a sweet diesel landcruiser BJ70 on ebay. Not too badly priced either.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6443

Last edited by Babypig; 11-23-2004 at 04:44 AM.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Sweet!

If you want to get it into the states this is how you do it... take it apart. Ie remove the engine, tranny etc ship body/drivetrain/engine as seperate "parts" pick them up at the harbor, pay your dues on your parts, put them back together and voala! You have your own custom "kit" land crusier. Me and a buddy of mine are goign to try to import a few Skylines into the states so ive been doing a little reasearch. It would be registered as a kit car and you would not have any emmision restrictions or anything. Plus you'd save a ton on the import fees. Or, if you live in canada your set
Old 11-23-2004, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by turboale
Sweet!

If you want to get it into the states this is how you do it... take it apart. Ie remove the engine, tranny etc ship body/drivetrain/engine as seperate "parts" pick them up at the harbor, pay your dues on your parts, put them back together and voala! You have your own custom "kit" land crusier. Me and a buddy of mine are goign to try to import a few Skylines into the states so ive been doing a little reasearch. It would be registered as a kit car and you would not have any emmision restrictions or anything. Plus you'd save a ton on the import fees. Or, if you live in canada your set
A friend of mine did that with a honda civic type R. he is now a federally registered smuggler. his buisness of importing JDM parts has gone down the toilet
Old 11-23-2004, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

there is one of those here in town, its a hard top though. quite an interesting read on the truck. there is a sweet fj40 in town also, im keeping my eye on it, hopefully the owner will be outside one day and i can check it out a bit more thoroughly.

lee
Old 11-24-2004, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation that is SWEET

I would buy that today if I could. Couldn’t you just drive it back from Canada? I went on a road trip to Canada back in high school and we just took a few back roads and drove right in, that was about 7 years ago before 911 but I’m sure there’s a way IT’S A LAND CRRUISER, MAKE ONE! I am sure that there is some passable fire trail that leads right across the border!
Old 11-24-2004, 01:23 PM

But you wouldn't have any paperwork to show when you wanted to register it. Easiest solution I can see is importing it into a state that doesn't have an emissions test.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Victor
But you wouldn't have any paperwork to show when you wanted to register it. Easiest solution I can see is importing it into a state that doesn't have an emissions test.
Like Michigan.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:35 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by Victor
I've imported a couple of vehicles (my F150 for one) and a couple of boats, and approx 100 RVs.
Problem is that Customs will need to see the emissions label on it before importing it. And even then only if the VIN is on the list of officially importable vehicles. It won't be, but if it was, then they'd look for the emissions label that has to say it meets the US Federal emissions standards.

It may be possible to bring one in with no engine, I'd bet you could do that if you certify it as parts or something. I don't know how you'd get the engine in though, and that's what you really want, right? (God knows why, I drove a few when I lived up there and I would never live with one...) I dug the 2 door body style though, we never go that one in the US.

All you have to do is call US Customs and ask them. Believe it or not - they appreciate it when you check on the requirements rather than drive up to the border unprepared...

Last edited by Flamedx4; 11-24-2004 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:39 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
My partner tells me I have it backwards - the engine can come in easily enough, but since the body won't have DOT safety standard certs, it can't ever come in.

He may be right, but since Canada DOT and US DOT parallel each other, I still think the body might be importable.

Call Customs.

Last edited by Flamedx4; 11-24-2004 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:12 PM

They are selling new 70 models here..

Think if you'd import them from anywhere, then from here would be a great place..

Could also have www.arctictrucks.is modify it for you and you could have a machine that would look and perform different !

Here is one they did for a search and rescue its modded for 44"
http://www.arctictrucks.is/template3.asp?PageID=1091
Old 11-24-2004, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

I can get most any version of an FJ40 avaliable here in Cali...... I know a guy who imports them here from around the world. The last time I talked with him, he told me that there was 5 containers full on the way. At his shop, there was almost 20 there with diesel or gasoline engines...

SPECTER OFF-ROAD http://www.sor.com/